Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 03:05 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
She also didn't take the right kind of courses needed to land the job that she wants. Good economy or bad, her skills are not enough for her to make the cut in IT. Having failed that, nothing else that she does will get her out of her trouble.

Once again, the school is to be held accountable. Another thing they are PAID to do is counsel the students in what to take and not to take. Your schedules most often have to be be approved. OR often times, the schedule is set out for you and the same for most students for that particular area of study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veejay85 View Post
Well,if this person wins this one, I think a class action is in order. I know so many college grads that cant find work, that were born and raised in the U.S. ,but they cannot speak Spanish. We all should sue the schools for not making foreign language an undergrad requirement PERIOD.
We graduated, but are still not prepared for the new work force.

College Grad Can't Find Job, Wants $$$ Back | NBC New York
[/quote]

good point there...

I think people should ban together and do what it takes for the corporate types to be held accountable.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:08 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I read the original article and about half the many posts about it. Hope I'm not repeating anything yet again.
The article said the young woman is 27 and lives in the Bronx. She says she is too poor for a lawyer. It sounds like she might be a "non-traditional" student, maybe going to college much later in life than your basic immediate high school graduate. She also might have no clue about how the real world works, rather, no middle-class upbringing to understand how much $70K really is.
I'm NOT making excuses for her. I think the lawsuit, as reported, is absurd and embarrassing to her.
But no one should be borrowing $70K no matter what the degree is, especially if that person is "poor." Surely in New York there are cheaper ways to get a degree, especially if you're an older student and might be working or living with family or something?
And yes, the financial aid system is run through the feds and colleges and all. It's not their business to point out how much money the person will be paying back, although to an uninformed younger person, it may be an amorphous amount that has no reality.
College started getting very expensive when the "National Defense Student Loan" program got going, and all the loan programs thereafter. If you pay for something, you'll get more of it.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Once again, the school is to be held accountable. Another thing they are PAID to do is counsel the students in what to take and not to take. Your schedules most often have to be be approved. OR often times, the schedule is set out for you and the same for most students for that particular area of study.
And then what? Even if she collects her $70K, that money won't last long with the kind of skills profile that she has. A low end job is what's waiting for her.

I would even say that Monroe did a better disclosure job than many other companies. The specs of its academic program are plain to see and it did not hide it in fine print.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
And then what? Even if she collects her $70K, that money won't last long with the kind of skills profile that she has. A low end job is what's waiting for her.

I would even say that Monroe did a better disclosure job than many other companies. The specs of its academic program are plain to see and it did not hide it in fine print.

The point ONCE AGAIN is this....

these colleges use this assistance as a ploy to pull people in, so that they will feel secure attending their school. (this point has been raked over and over and proven) They place a false sense of security that they will assist them after graduation when in fact they do not. They typically do not even have a database of employers which they have built in contacts, employer recruiting I do believe is what Monroe College calls it. It is a joke and a farce and they need to be held accountable for this. Accountable for the lies and downright screwing with people's lives.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
acj

30 posts, read 105,488 times
No promises were made and they said they would assist in the process. She should know better that no one is guaranteed anything after graduation. This is all on her.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:36 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
But you make it seem like any recent college graduate should take whatever they can get. Working at Target as a cashier isn't going to do anything for a business or IT major's resume. If you are desperate for money, then by all means take whatever odd ball job you can get to make ends meet, but whenever the economy turns around you are still back at square one because you haven't done anything relevant in your field. If an employer sees you graduated a year ago, but have been working at Burger King since then, you're probably even at less of an advantage than someone who recently graduated from college a month ago because that employer might question why you haven't done anything relevant with your degree.
I'd rather see someone who had the gumption to get a job and work while continuing to look for a position in their field over someone content to sit on their butt for a year or more because anything except what they majored in is below them.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:40 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I read the story on CNN and it said she had a 2.7 GPA. I don't know what world she is living in but many employers will not be falling over themselves to hire someone with a 2.7 GPA.

She also didn't do any internships and considering she lives in NY, she should have had at least one good internship under her belt (but I don't think she could have landed one with that pitiful GPA).

The school didn't guarantee she would find a job so I hope the lawsuit is thrown out. I don't know of any college where they GUARANTEE you a job. They might say __% of our graduates find a job within their field within x amount of time but they don't guarantee you a job.

I don't think any employers will want to touch her. What next, suing a company because you didn't get a promotion?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'd rather see someone who had the gumption to get a job and work while continuing to look for a position in their field over someone content to sit on their butt for a year or more because anything except what they majored in is below them.

based on the things that you have said about this girl,(and others in this field) this comment is ridiculous.

And again, no where did this girl say that any job was beneath her. What she did say is that after working for a degree no one plans on that type of job. Which is true degree or no degree, no one plans on that type of job.

You are twisting her words and telling out right lies.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I read the story on CNN and it said she had a 2.7 GPA. I don't know what world she is living in but many employers will not be falling over themselves to hire someone with a 2.7 GPA.

She also didn't do any internships and considering she lives in NY, she should have had at least one good internship under her belt (but I don't think she could have landed one with that pitiful GPA).

The school didn't guarantee she would find a job so I hope the lawsuit is thrown out. I don't know of any college where they GUARANTEE you a job. They might say __% of our graduates find a job within their field within x amount of time but they don't guarantee you a job.

I don't think any employers will want to touch her. What next, suing a company because you didn't get a promotion?

where did she say she was looking for a guarantee?
She did not say that... she wants what she is being billed for, nothing more, nothing less. She was offered assistance and is not getting it.

If someone can sure for dropping a coffee cup in their lap, she has hope for her case and I hope she goes far. But none the less, she is brining this poor business practice to light and it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search