Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 10:35 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think it's fine for a company to interview for future openings.

I think it's not fine for them to not be upfront about the interview being for future openings.

At the last company I worked for we did a lot of future opening interviews. The majority of jobs were filled by people who had an advance interview. When a position came open if we had already interviewed someone we liked, we called them and offered the job. People who had declined a future interest interview generally never got called again, because there were usually at least a couple of people we wanted to hire from any round of future interest interviews, so there was no reason to start over.

Future Opening Job Interviews are a Waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 11:17 AM

754 posts, read 1,922,114 times
As it was only five minutes in the process, I don't think it wasn't a legit "future opening interview". I think this guy subscribes to the rule that he would know within five minutes if he is interested in a person or not and doesn't waste time after. I sympathize with you feeling you wasted your time but, don't take it personally....I think the guy just had a 5 minute rule.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:45 PM

96 posts, read 620,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
As it was only five minutes in the process, I don't think it wasn't a legit "future opening interview". I think this guy subscribes to the rule that he would know within five minutes if he is interested in a person or not and doesn't waste time after. I sympathize with you feeling you wasted your time but, don't take it personally....I think the guy just had a 5 minute rule.
Thinking about it now,working for someone who has that mentality might prove to be very difficult.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Future Opening Job Interviews are a Waste of time.
You might think so, but the 50+ people that my former employer hired this way sure don't.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother227 View Post
Thinking about it now,working for someone who has that mentality might prove to be very difficult.
My current boss is that way. He isn't into warm and fuzzy. Give him the bottom line, that's all he wants. My interview took maybe 20 minutes--for a management level job. he asked what he needed to know, liked the answers, and offered me the job. Negotiating salary took under five minutes. I told him what I wanted, he offered me a little less, I told him that I'd take that with a raise after 90 days to what I wanted, he said fine, we shook hands, that was it.

He's not at all difficult to work for, as long as you know how to get to the point.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:53 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That sounds perfectly legitimate on the employer's part. Also, you gained interview experience.
I don't need anymore practice...I need a job.

It's all well and good to say this is an okay practice but you know what if it's YOU and you want a fair shot at the job and do your best yet they have their ringer chosen...it's damn frustrating.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't need anymore practice...I need a job.

It's all well and good to say this is an okay practice but you know what if it's YOU and you want a fair shot at the job and do your best yet they have their ringer chosen...it's damn frustrating.

I hear ya, practice my A$$, Future Opening Interviews is playing games with a person's life

Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I hear ya, practice my A$$, Future Opening Interviews is playing games with a person's life
Not when they are up front before even scheduling the interview. You have the option to decline. Although as I mentioned before, where I used to work, those that declined were seldom called again.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:48 PM

36 posts, read 96,746 times
I'm sorry. I am sending best wishes your way.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I had a similar thing happen to me.

I sent my resume in to Qualcomm in Raleigh and applied to 2 or 3 of their open positions. I get a call from a hiring manager and he asks me if I can come to his office 30 minutes away from my home for an interview for a particular job. Now. . . . . it wasn't for one of the jobs that I applied for. But, it was for something even better, but I did not originally apply to that opening because I didn't think that I met all of the qualifications. But anyway. . . of course I say Yes. I get all dressed up in my suit, drive out of my way to take my son to a drop-in daycare, and drive over to the office to meet the hiring manager. Within 5-10 minutes he says "I'm sorry but you don't qualify for this job". Hello! Did you not even read over my resume? What a waste of time and money.
Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me. I paid for a babysitter, parking, got dressed up, spent hours researching the company, etc. They gave me a ten minute interview, and it was obvious by the questions that they had no intention of hiring me before I got there. Thanks for wasting my time and money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search