Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 11:43 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,663 times

Advertisements

So...just wondering. Just how hard would it be to be considered for jobs that are far from where you live? For instance. I'm in South Carolina. I find a job I feel qualified for in Sacramento. What's the likelihood that I would even get considered for an interview, given that I live so far away?

It's not like DC, where I have family, or something similar.

Has anyone ever applied farther away and got the job? Outside of a job transfer or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM

213 posts, read 770,076 times
I would apply if you are interested. Doesn't cost you much other than time. I have had 3 phone screen/HR interviews for out-of-state jobs I had applied to, so despite what people say, every company is not throwing resumes out if they are not local. You may want to say in your cover letter that you are looking to relocate but not expecting them to pay for it (worded professionally of course).

Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad2009 View Post
So...just wondering. Just how hard would it be to be considered for jobs that are far from where you live? For instance. I'm in South Carolina. I find a job I feel qualified for in Sacramento. What's the likelihood that I would even get considered for an interview, given that I live so far away?

It's not like DC, where I have family, or something similar.

Has anyone ever applied farther away and got the job? Outside of a job transfer or something.
Yes but I was invited to apply...not a job transfer. With stuff like this, you almost have to be recommended by someone inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search