Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:07 PM

79 posts, read 205,052 times

Advertisements

Since my job was eliminated last year, I've had the (mis?)fortune to have enough interview experience to fill a book about strange and just plain bad interviews I've had. Here are just some of the top most "interesting" ones:

-- A company brings me onsite, the interview goes really well, and the hiring manager is very, very worried about my other job prospects and makes statements such as "after you are hired" and so on...didn't get that job.

-- I travel to an interview a couple of hours away, and I am kept waiting for over an hour in a conference room by myself...guess I am probably fortunate I didn't get that job if that's how they treat applicants...I'd hate to see how they treat the people that already work there.

-- Interviewer has a phone that won't quit ringing, and is texting long messages during the interview. The interviewer asks me to repeat nearly everything I say, several times in a few cases because she wasn't listening due to her phone.

-- An interviewer has me take an aptitude test, and I finish it in a few minutesw (it was easy, and honestly, nobody could fail it if they tried). He then starts to accuse me of cheating on the aptitude test because there is "no way" I did it that fast.

Sad thing is that I am in HR, and I am pretty ashamed to be in this job because so many HR people are downright rude, unprofessional, and lack consideration for applicants.

Someone would be standing up on the drive home if any of the people who worked for me did things like play with cell phones during the interview, not get back to candidates, and so on.

I am glad I am going back to college soon to get out of HR. It used to be a good field to be in, but I am going to lose my soul if I stay in this job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
**Went to an interview with the remnants of a bad flu (I had a fever) but was 'desperate'

snip
Sacramento, California 1973.

I was young with little work experience other than the army, working in a factory for one year and bar tending.

I should have been in the hospital with viral pneumonia but I didn't have health insurance.

I was broke. The period from January to April 1973 was the absolute lowest point in my life and living in my Volkswagen Beetle made me desperate for a job.

Answered an ad for some sort of "account executive" position at Household Finance. I know, I was young and didn't know any better but these guys wore ties and stuff so I thought they must be well paid.

I applied and got called in for an interview sporting a 102 degree temperature and sicker than a dog. Halfway through the interview I got to coughing so hard I puked on the carpet. I really should not have been there but was driven by pure desperation and brokeness. I didn't have $1 to my name and the gas tank of my bug was on empty.

Had to use their bathroom and I will spare the readers the gory details except to say what I did could have been construed as criminal.

I didn't get a job offer.

So I sold my Volkswagon for $1,100 (a small fortune in 1973) and went back to school.

1973 was a recession year.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,908 times
Oh, here's a good one with an agency. I called for an appointment, asked how much time I should allow and was told I wouldn't be there over an hour. Long hour . . . I was present for about two and half to three hours. I remember there were two or three groups of papers to fill out, with the main package numbering around 50 pages. After I finished everything, including several "tests" that I wasn't told I would have to take, one employee announced with her booming voice in front of a room full of people that I could take my drug test. I never saw anyone else pulled for the test and thought, "well, perhaps this is good. I must be doing something right or I wouldn't be this far along."

Next I had an interview. The woman seemed especially interested in the volunteer work I do at the Governor's Mansion. She mentioned an assignment for a receptionist and some light office work (temporary), said it paid $12.00 an hour and asked if this was enough money. I replied that it was and added that I was very interested. The woman seemed impressed with me and, as it was almost closing time, told me to call back the next day.

The next day I called back and was treated as if I had never entered the agency. I wondered what type of game this was and repeated that I was there the day before, blah, blah, blah. Then I was told I wasn't on the list yet and to call back tomorrow. These tactics went on for a few days. The next week I was told that I was on the list and to check in every day. I called every day for almost a month and never received an assignment, so I gave up. I mentioned this to someone who was also job searching and was told you just had to keep calling. Hey, I've already tried that!

As weeks turned into months, I would question people about the agency. One individual told me that you needed an "in". Another said the friends of some of the help are placed first. I even called back once and asked if I would have to take the tests again to get on the list a second time. "No," I was told, "but you need to bring in a new resume." I asked if they still had the old one on file, as nothing had changed. "Yes, but you need a new one anyway." I then asked about an appointment and was told that I could just drop the resume off. I mentioned volunteering at the Governor's Mansion and the individual on the phone said, "I bet they make fun of you." It is rare for me to be at a loss for words but I didn't have a reply to this one. The shining individual went on to say that I sounded "southern". I would certainly hope so . . . I have always lived in the South and speak like an educated southern person. I wouldn't be conducting tours at the Governor's Mansion if I sounded like a hick (no offense, I can't think of a politically correct term quickly). Since this person didn't sound like she was from the Bronx, I asked her where she was from. "Tennessee" she replied. I love Tennessee. Many times I wish I could have stayed in Chattanooga instead of returning to Atlanta, but my lovely home is here. However, I don't think she was in much of a position to judge my accent! (No offense to anyone from the great state of Tennessee and go Vols!).

After this episode, I was at a social event with a friend and telling her what a horrible time I was having obtaining interviews. My friend said, "let me go ask so and so. She knows a lot of people." So and so replied that the only thing she knew of was some work at this particular agency. I told her I had tried signing up with them in the past and didn't have any luck. Here came the "look" again, what I call a blank stare. Afterwards my friend said "I guess she thinks that the agency thinks you are overqualified". I, like many other millions, are so tired of hearing this.

My next strategy is to try some state Civil Service exams, although I've never had any luck with them in the past. I would score high, but the positions wouldn't be open or would be in another part of the state. We'll see. At least I haven't paid my own money to interview out of state. I know many of our posters have and this receives the top bad mark from me.

Last edited by antiquesmountainapache; 01-31-2010 at 08:57 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 03:54 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Yeah, I've had the good cop/bad cop thing at agencies.
They also have 'a job' that lures you in and you fill out all the paperwork. Lo and behold, there is NO job.

You've been put on their books. They look good for hooking in another person.

One place, my husband was told there was a job for $14/hr. So he went through the paperwork...funny, every time he spoke to the 'recruiter' the hourly pay went down...it was $13, then $12.

He said, "You told me $14 and hour."

They did the clueless act. Then got abusive.

Fortunately he got a job on his own right after. But that was in 2007 when there WERE jobs. You could be picky.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:27 AM

13 posts, read 51,340 times
I've had similar experiences in interviews as all of the ones listed here. This is what made me laugh so hard when I did the same thing to companies back in the late 90's and people would say "where is your profesionalism?" LOL! Where is theirs?

Old 02-01-2010, 05:29 AM

13 posts, read 51,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Yeah, I've had the good cop/bad cop thing at agencies.
They also have 'a job' that lures you in and you fill out all the paperwork. Lo and behold, there is NO job.

You've been put on their books. They look good for hooking in another person.

One place, my husband was told there was a job for $14/hr. So he went through the paperwork...funny, every time he spoke to the 'recruiter' the hourly pay went down...it was $13, then $12.

He said, "You told me $14 and hour."

They did the clueless act. Then got abusive.

Fortunately he got a job on his own right after. But that was in 2007 when there WERE jobs. You could be picky.

These recruiters are what makes job hunting more difficult. They flood the internet with jobs that do not exist.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetter2004 View Post
These recruiters are what makes job hunting more difficult. They flood the internet with jobs that do not exist.
I applied for a job online as a marketing assistant posted by an agency. When I was called in for the interview, I was told right out that the job was filled 6 months ago and that many job ads were put out to do just that, bring applicants in. I was floored.

It took nearly 11 months before they ever called about a job. Which I didn't get.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:50 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellicoe13 View Post
An interviewer has me take an aptitude test, and I finish it in a few minutesw (it was easy, and honestly, nobody could fail it if they tried). He then starts to accuse me of cheating on the aptitude test because there is "no way" I did it that fast.
At one interview, I was asked to do a really strange aptitude test. I can't even remember the off-beat questions but I do remember turning it over afterwards and finding out if was published by L. Ron Hubbard. The founder of Scientology. This was a chiropracter's office. What kind of business were they running?

Old 02-01-2010, 06:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,076,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
At one interview, I was asked to do a really strange aptitude test. I can't even remember the off-beat questions but I do remember turning it over afterwards and finding out if was published by L. Ron Hubbard. The founder of Scientology. This was a chiropracter's office. What kind of business were they running?

Like I said before, I blame this cult of HR. Managers do not have time for 'stupid tests' about your parachute or favorite animal. HR people came up with all this bull to keep themselves in a job. No jobs at your company? Bring in people for fake interviews 'in case.' Give them 'tests.' Keep your job.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:00 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,791,588 times
In the 80s I was just out of grad school.

A friend from school landed a job recruiting physicians to join a brand new HMO that was just getting off the ground. They signed a ten year lease on an office. It was a decent salary plus commission for each doc you signed up. They were looking for someone in an adjacent territory. I said I was interested. He suggested I come over and meet folks in his office.

I got up early and drove the 100+ miles (one way). He shows me around the office. It looks good. His boss isn't in but agrees to interview me. I set up an appointment for the next week.

The next week (and another 100 miles) I show up. She called out due to a family emergency. There were no cell phones in those days so I was stuck. One of the other bosses suggests I go with my friend to actually see what the job was like. We go do several offices. Most docs eagerly signed up after hearing a short sales pitch. This is easy, I thought.

I call back (long distance) to try and reschedule the interview. As soon as I say my name she is "in a meeting" or something and never calls back. My friend doesn't know what is going on but the position hasn't been filled. I give up.

SIX WEEKS later this woman calls me and acts like it was yesterday that she canceled. I still want the job, so another 100 miles later I am being interviewed. She takes me to lunch. She gushes about how impressed she is with me and all but offers me the job. She says she will call me. I hear nothing and am not going to call her.

A few months later they go out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search