Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:41 PM

168 posts, read 424,648 times

Advertisements

I am supposed to interview for a job out of state. The interview isn't for three weeks. I didn't actually select the time and date. I applied for a position and the hiring manager's secretary responded letting me know that he had read my application and a date and time were set. I initially felt that I would be able to get an affordable airfare, but unfortunately this isn't the case. Is it acceptable to reschedule? The interview isn't for almost three weeks, and had I known that airfare would be so expensive I would have selected another date. Part of the reason it is expensive is the interview is on a Monday. If it was in the middle of the week, a plane would be much cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
I am supposed to interview for a job out of state. The interview isn't for three weeks. I didn't actually select the time and date. I applied for a position and the hiring manager's secretary responded letting me know that he had read my application and a date and time were set. I initially felt that I would be able to get an affordable airfare, but unfortunately this isn't the case. Is it acceptable to reschedule? The interview isn't for almost three weeks, and had I known that airfare would be so expensive I would have selected another date. Part of the reason it is expensive is the interview is on a Monday. If it was in the middle of the week, a plane would be much cheaper.
I hate to say it, but if you ask to reschedule you might as well just save your money and not buy the ticket - you aren't going to get the job.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I hate to say it, but if you ask to reschedule you might as well just save your money and not buy the ticket - you aren't going to get the job.

I wouldn't think this is true.

In fact, I wonder why the company didn't pay for his airfare and lodging, that is standard practice. I would suggest the original poster call the secretary and ask about logistics. Even if the hiring company isn't paying, I'm sure they would be willing to work with the applicant considering he is traveling from afar.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

In fact, I wonder why the company didn't pay for his airfare and lodging, that is standard practice. I would suggest the original poster call the secretary and ask about logistics.
Good point...I can't see a company liking someone who isn't flexible though. If you aren't offered choices of dates to interview in the first place, you should take what they give you without complaining (in my opinion)

Old 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Good point...I can't see a company liking someone who isn't flexible though. If you aren't offered choices of dates to interview in the first place, you should take what they give you without complaining (in my opinion)
Technically, I was given a choice because it was required that I confirm. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the situation of airfare (just realized it is also expensive because of a holiday weekend). The other problem was that the secretary was supposed to send me information about the position I would be interviewing for since I applied to more than one, and still hasn't as of yet. This is another reason I waited to book anything because I would hate to fly all the way down there to find out the position isn't what I thought it was (I once drove to an interview four states away to find out that the position was part time, even though online it was advertised as full time).

Old 03-16-2010, 03:32 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
If they had simply proclaimed, 'you must be here at this time and date', I would say that was very rude of them and you should be able to request a different time, without going into an explanation of airfare costs. But you confirmed, and you should have taken a few minutes before doing so to look into airfares. You could have at that time requested an different time. Now, I think it would look like you don't have your act together. I would however write or call your contact and urgently request that they tell you the description of the job for which you are interviewing.

Your claim that it would be much cheaper to fly midweek seems a bit flimsy to me. Checking fares for three weeks from today for a half dozen destinations, I don't find more than a $20 difference in fares, and the bing farecaster states that fares are unlikely to go down, or not drop by much in between now and departure. And $20 is hardly enough of a difference to quibble over. Easter is not a business holiday, by the way.

It kind of sounds to me like you aren't really interested in the job and are looking for an excuse to get out of it. If that's the case, own up and just tell them you have decided to cancel your interview.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:34 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
If you are very interested (or even if you are not sure), and can make it work as scheduled, even if it means paying a bit more, I would keep the timing the same. You never know how much impact a change could have, and also, from other posts I have read, I believe some employers avoid interviewing candidates that do not live locally, probably partly for scheduling reasons.

However, if the cost is much different, and you are willing to risk impacting your chances, then see if you can find a way to approach it that sounds reasonable, and ask them.

Also, did they give you dates to pick from, or did they just give you one choice? Not sure which way makes it easier, however, I would take it into account if you ask them.

P.s. This is not from experience! Good luck.

Old 03-16-2010, 06:42 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,550,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
Technically, I was given a choice because it was required that I confirm. Unfortunately, I was unaware of the situation of airfare (just realized it is also expensive because of a holiday weekend). The other problem was that the secretary was supposed to send me information about the position I would be interviewing for since I applied to more than one, and still hasn't as of yet. This is another reason I waited to book anything because I would hate to fly all the way down there to find out the position isn't what I thought it was (I once drove to an interview four states away to find out that the position was part time, even though online it was advertised as full time).
Given these variables, I'd suggest attempting to reschedule and clear up all these other questions you have while you have them on the phone.
They can't fault prudence, I would hope.

I sincerely hope, if it's a good fit for you, you get the job.
Then, maybe, you can submit your travel on your expense account.

If not, my favorite category at tax time is "Un-reimbursed Business expense"

Old 03-16-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
If they had simply proclaimed, 'you must be here at this time and date', I would say that was very rude of them and you should be able to request a different time, without going into an explanation of airfare costs. But you confirmed, and you should have taken a few minutes before doing so to look into airfares. You could have at that time requested an different time. Now, I think it would look like you don't have your act together. I would however write or call your contact and urgently request that they tell you the description of the job for which you are interviewing.

Your claim that it would be much cheaper to fly midweek seems a bit flimsy to me. Checking fares for three weeks from today for a half dozen destinations, I don't find more than a $20 difference in fares, and the bing farecaster states that fares are unlikely to go down, or not drop by much in between now and departure. And $20 is hardly enough of a difference to quibble over. Easter is not a business holiday, by the way.

It kind of sounds to me like you aren't really interested in the job and are looking for an excuse to get out of it. If that's the case, own up and just tell them you have decided to cancel your interview.
Not quite sure how you can gauge my interest in a post that stated nothing of interests (and you are not correct, either). The job is in the area of the country I want to relocate to, and if it is what I applied for I would be very interested in performing the duties of the job. In fact, the only reservation I would have are about my current position. I like my job, my supervisor, and my co-workers. Problem is I don't like the area of the country I live in at all due to it's cost of living, climate, and the people that inhabit it. The other problem is that nothing was stated about the job I am going to interview for. I asked for more information last Thursday. It is almost Wednesday and I still do not have any information back.

As far as fares, when I searched for the cost of a flight/hotel/car package (I would need it due to the time of day and the area is not a place with a transit system that is easy to use like NYC, NJ, or even DC), it would cost $510 if I fly Sunday and return Monday. In the middle of the week, I found the same package for as low as $350, and the following week as low as $300. This may sound like pocket change, but keep in mind I live in a place with very high cost of living and do not make much money.

Last edited by d-fens; 03-16-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

In fact, I wonder why the company didn't pay for his airfare and lodging, that is standard practice. I would suggest the original poster call the secretary and ask about logistics. Even if the hiring company isn't paying, I'm sure they would be willing to work with the applicant considering he is traveling from afar.
Depends on what kind of expectation the job candidate set with the company.

For example, my company wont even relocate most employees who work for the company. They make it VERY clear during certain interviews that a relocation package will not be offered.

They have also done the same for job interviews and candidates. If job candidates are applying for a job out of state then they will ONLY consider them if they understand that no airfare, travel, or hotel will be paid for by the company. The reason is that for the most part in our industry there is enough talent in the local areas that they dont really need to look outside an area.

So if the candidate offered to make the arrangements, agreed to a date, and then decides to balk about paying for airfare-- I tend to agree with what another person said-- might as well not even buy the airfare. The company gave him three weeks for an interview-- most of my experiences rarely has an interview process that far in the future.

If they are not paying for travel, I tend to assume they wont offer any relocation-- and this may make them balk considering what if the employee decides (if offered the job) that relocation may be too expensive, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search