Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 09:07 PM

95 posts, read 320,419 times

Advertisements

Doing a companies' pre screening questionare and totally stumped by this question. The company is looking at thought process and a personal question not work related and I cant think of anything.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 09:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Yeah, it seems tougher after thinking about it than it does at first glance. You want to use an example of something that has some gravitas to it. Something that was an important decision, and not just 'should I have peas or broccoli with dinner?'. At the same time, you don't want to use an example that might reveal your financial situation, marital or family status, moral, political, or religious beliefs--anything that might prejudice the reader against you.

Are you involved in any volunteer or extra-curricular activities that you could use? Maybe these would allow you to demonstrate judgement in a leadership role, while still not being work-related. Obviously you wouldn't want to mention the name of the group or the nature of an issue if they are politically influenced.

Perhaps why you chose your college major or school? Or why you chose to live in a particular part of the world? Or how you chose your last vacation trip (destination, expense budget, time)? Perhaps a time of crisis or emergency when you had to think quickly (witness to an accident, saw someone abusing another person, etc)? Have you ever been invited to do something and turned it down (to join the board of an organization, head up a committee, become a member of group or organization, asked to help a friend when you thought it unwise, etc.)?

Although the wording asks for a situation in which you had to use good judgement, you could--carefully--provide an example of a time when you needed to use good judgement, but didn't--and what you learned from it. This could be tricky though.

Last edited by kodaka; 03-25-2010 at 10:14 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 10:02 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Sounds absurd. ha ha.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:12 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,585,248 times
Behaviorial Questions are what a lot of interviews are based on.

Just off the top of my head,

I was in a park and saw two men arguing there were people in the area and I was not certain how to handle but I knew I had to do something. Voices were loud and the men appeared heated, first I asked women with children to please get out of the way, next I instructed someone to please call the police, after that I directed my wife to take the children and wait in the car. I then walked up to the men and attempted to mediate the situation, I used a calm voice and though I was nervous I did my best to difuse the situation. The men finally shook hands and went their seperate ways.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin1786 View Post
Doing a companies' pre screening questionare and totally stumped by this question. The company is looking at thought process and a personal question not work related and I cant think of anything.

Anything that would show commitment, integrity, honesty, self control, good attitude. Volunteer work could provide some situation. Maybe a problem with a neighbor or relative where you got involved and things worked out well because of you.

Even if it's kind of insignificant - for example you could say that you are aggravated by litter - but instead of being angry, you will pick up trash that offends you - any problem that you fix rather than leave and just complain.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:27 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I think a better question would be a time when you DIDN't use good judgement! When i read the question my first thought was "I always try and use good judgement"

Anyway, good luck. I hope its the job for you and that you want it!

Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:

I don't see the question as asking for personal information. My thoughts are that the questions are work related. As someone taking the test you would want to answer the question with that in mind.

For example: Your at work and some obnoxious A Hole comes into your place of work complaining about how he didn't get what he should have got and because of that he is going to tear everyone a new one.

Do you

A: kick his a.. out of the place

B: Call security and have them kick his a.. out of there.

C: Talk beneath your breath about how he is acting like an A hole.

D: Listen to him and try to resolve his concerns.

Now if I was at home and some obnoxious A Hole came over complaining about something I would act completly differantly as I don't like dealing with A Holes in the first place. Since this is a work related question though and you only work there, (Or want to work there.) Then pick an answer from above.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM

What have I started!

I mentioned this question to a friend, and they just told me they decided to use the question in the interviews they ran today!!! Now I've spread this bad-question disease. And worse, the question was sprung on the applicants during the interview, not in a questionnaire where they could think out their answer!

My friend said, of the two people interviewed today, one used an example of a passenger who needed a seat on public transit and the interviewee had to decide whether or not to ask seated passengers to give up their seat, or to just stay quiet. The other interviewee said something about giving girlfriends advice about men.

The latter left a more favorable impression.

Last edited by kodaka; 03-31-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 06:42 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:

Well, you could reply with a flippant answer like.... "I called the ad for this job", to break the ice, and then follow up with a more serious reply....

Always answer a job interview question in the context of how your good judgment benefited your previous employer. So, something like... I went the extra step to ensure that the employees I hired were top quality.... or.... I insisted that all of our in-office memos were printed on used paper to keep costs for the company down.... or.... I decided to come in 1/2 hour earlier so that I could get a lot accomplished before the office got busy...

That kind of thing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-31-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Always answer a job interview question in the context of how your good judgment benefited your previous employer. So, something like... I went the extra step to ensure that the employees I hired were top quality.... or.... I insisted that all of our in-office memos were printed on used paper to keep costs for the company down.... or.... I decided to come in 1/2 hour earlier so that I could get a lot accomplished before the office got busy...

That kind of thing.

20yrsinBranson
Except the question specifically stated in a non-work related situation. All of your suggestions would be examples of an applicant not answering the question asked, which is a huge no-no in interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search