Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM

134 posts, read 891,305 times

Advertisements

I am currently employed as a "Vocational Consultant" (Job coach, job developer) I work with individuals with disabilities, mostly developmental in nature, in trying to find them jobs in the community.

Due to there Developmental Disability, many of them are very limited to what they can do and many of them have very little if any work experience.

For some, all we can do is fill out job applications and see what happens. For others, all we can do is get them into a volunteer position in order to help develop their skills but....here's the problem.

So many jobs/volunteer positions require a background check nowadays. On my caseload I have a registered sex offender, I have an individual with a 14 year-old felony charge of theft, I have people who may not be registered as sex offenders but are not allowed to be around kids (mostly)

These people don't quite understand why and...due to confidentiality issues I can't tell potential employers that when I'm trying to market their abilities.

As per the state, I am supposed to get them a paid position, preferably full-time but I'm, running out of ideas and would like to hear any suggestions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
The sex offender/not around kids is tough. Maybe a job cleaning offices after hours?

The theft one should be pretty easy to overcome if it happened 14 years ago. Some of the larger hotel chains would be a good place to start, they will often hire people who have a previous record but have stayed out of trouble for at least five years. Positions like housekeeping and dishwashing dont' really require any particular skills.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastcountryboy View Post
I am currently employed as a "Vocational Consultant" (Job coach, job developer) I work with individuals with disabilities, mostly developmental in nature, in trying to find them jobs in the community.

Due to there Developmental Disability, many of them are very limited to what they can do and many of them have very little if any work experience.

For some, all we can do is fill out job applications and see what happens. For others, all we can do is get them into a volunteer position in order to help develop their skills but....here's the problem.

So many jobs/volunteer positions require a background check nowadays. On my caseload I have a registered sex offender, I have an individual with a 14 year-old felony charge of theft, I have people who may not be registered as sex offenders but are not allowed to be around kids (mostly)

These people don't quite understand why and...due to confidentiality issues I can't tell potential employers that when I'm trying to market their abilities.

As per the state, I am supposed to get them a paid position, preferably full-time but I'm, running out of ideas and would like to hear any suggestions.

Thanks
No background check required?

There was one I recall.

(public domain photo - not protected)

Old 04-28-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The sex offender/not around kids is tough. Maybe a job cleaning offices after hours?

The theft one should be pretty easy to overcome if it happened 14 years ago. Some of the larger hotel chains would be a good place to start, they will often hire people who have a previous record but have stayed out of trouble for at least five years. Positions like housekeeping and dishwashing dont' really require any particular skills.
The funny thing is...my registered sex offender was able to get a job fairly easily. He's a provision loader for ships.

My "not around kids" group is not interested or willing or capable of taking that job as it requires a lot of heavy lifting and stamina. There may also be some safety issues that they wouldn't understand.

My theft guy was already denied a volunteer position washing dishes at a local hospital because of his theft. He's applied for a dishwashing position at several restaurants - so far to no avail. I could check hotels though...that's a thought.

Unfortunately, their developmental disability makes people afraid to hire them due to "liability issues" and makes it hard for them to understand why nobody wants to hire them. (We can only play "it's the economy game" for so long. )

Old 04-28-2010, 05:40 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
"My theft guy was already denied a volunteer position washing dishes at a local hospital because of his theft."

My goodness ... did they think he'd steal the darned dishes?

Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
My goodness ... did they think he'd steal the darned dishes?
The concern may be regarding other volunteers' / employees' belongings. I know that has been an issue where I volunteer. There's nothing really worth stealing in the place itself. The hospital is probably concerned about liability.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 PM

My "theft guy" is also Community Protection for a different reason, which means that he is required to have a line of sight staff with him at all times.

Due to what is perceived as a "low risk to reoffend" he is not required to divulge that he is Community Protection but generally we let the potential employers/volunteer offices know that someone else will be with him.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
I know the types of places here in Philly who don't do a background check are

Gas stations
Meat Packing Companies

Old 05-01-2010, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 260,119 times
Default job opportunites for those w/criminal background

I am a case manager for my local workforce center & a good part of my caseload has criminal background. My job is to stablize my clients (housing, food, clothing referrals), assess their barriers to employment (everything from criminal background to lack of skills, age, etc), & then assist them in overcoming those barriers.

The reason a hospital won't hire someone with theft no matter how old it is is the possibility of the person having access to patient belongings. Assault, even misdemeanor, is out of the question as well.

The best rule of thumb is to think like a business liability carrier, because that is who is really setting hiring policy in regards to criminal background. Even if an employer is willing to take a chance, their business liability carrier that will have to pay any claims that result from the potential employee's behavior won't let them hire those people. They will cancel coverage if they do.

I am here while searching the internet for ideas for my most difficult to employee group, my SO's. Even my non-contact SO's are very, very, very difficult to employ. Not only do they have the history on a background check, but they are often restricted both by the conditions of the SO registration and/or parole/probation.

The most reliable employer we have had is a kind of shady telemarketing place that just went out of business. The city here hired alot of our SOs to sort recycling when we went to single-stream recycling.

Any ideas for jobs for SO's are most welcome. Sigh.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 260,119 times
p.s.-your theft guy probably is going to get thumbs down from a hotel, too---same reason as a hospital---potential access to guests' belongings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search