Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:19 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Obvious View Post
Just read a cool post by TVSG and it reminded me of advice I got from a "professional" while attending ACAP prior to retirement from the military. He advised all to spray deoderant on our hands prior to interviews to combat sweaty palms. Insane.
The worst advice ever on this thread? Grouping "cool" and "TVSG" in the same sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 01:22 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I have to say the 'advice' given a few times on C-D is among the most absurd: that women will only get jobs if they wear skirts to interviews. Short ones obviously. Puh-leeze.
Now that I reflect back ten years ago, I'm wondering if the short skirt on my business suit had anything to do with me being hired at my first job.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Just read a cool post by TVSG and it reminded me of advice I got from a "professional" while attending ACAP prior to retirement from the military. He advised all to spray deoderant on our hands prior to interviews to combat sweaty palms. Insane.

I was giving advice that is not typical from myown experience. I would never give advice like

Make sure you smile

Don't fall asleep during the interview

Make sure your suit is clean

I was basically saying things that you don't hear often

Let the interviewer do most of the talking

Show interrest in the interviewer's opinions about the company

Make the interviewer laugh

So excuse me for not saying...........THE OBVIOUS

Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Why listen to the experts? Someone on this very board can give you advice that gets you the job 95% of the time.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
none of them were silly if they resulted in good employment. i would have dressed up like a clown to get a good job. i am looking back retired 3 years ago.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
I have to say the 'advice' given a few times on C-D is among the most absurd: that women will only get jobs if they wear skirts to interviews. Short ones obviously. Puh-leeze.
Spot on. I can't remember the last time I wore a skirt to an interview. On second thought, yes I can. I didn't get the job.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:30 PM

9 posts, read 18,131 times
Always wipe hand before shaking as no one likes a sweaty hand shake....spay away if needed. This is a little of track, but back in my college days a professor told me to always think of a funny joke or story before an interview as part of preperation. I thought "oh yeah, who's ever going to ask me that". Several years later, at an interview, someone actually asked me to tell them a joke or funny story. Well of course the only thing I could think of was to say "a professor told me to prepare for this question and of course I thought it funny since I could never tell a joke in my life". Come to find out, it wasnt the joke or funny story that was important as much as it was that the interviewer wanted to know how fast I could think "on my feet" as they say. I didn't get that job, but have used the question myself in interviews just to see how fast the applicant can "think on his/her feet".

Old 05-27-2010, 08:18 PM

217 posts, read 554,153 times
When people say 'Show up a little early' or 'Make sure you are on time'. I love those.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
The stupidest advice I ever got was from a prospective employer! She told me to NEVER discuss salary at the interview. It makes you look like all you care about is the money.

I just felt like saying.... "Well duh". What else would someone be working for? Practice?

roll eyes

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search