Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:02 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,976 times

Advertisements

This is a serious question. A lot of people in this country as well as all over the world seem to hate the Jews. I don't get it? I can't imagine the world standing by while another race or religion was being systematically exterminated. I know there is strife between a lot of different ethnic and religious groups even now but the one thing they all seem to agree on is that they hate the Jews. I keep hearing about anti-Semitism all over Europe, Asia, Africa etc and it certainly gives the appearance that it is widespread and has been for centuries. Usually there is a "reason" for racial or religious hatred even if it is a stupid one. Darned if I can come up with even a stupid one for why so many diverse groups seem to have the same hatred and literally want to nuke them off the Earth. A black aquaintance of mine made a comment about "greedy Jews" the other day and I almost passed out! I mean seriously!

Old 06-10-2007, 06:16 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
I've often wondered the same thing and I can't think of any logical explanation. Jews are often singled out by white supremacists and other extreme groups. The only thing I can think of is the possibility that this is a hatred that's passed down from one generation to the next and that it began hundreds of years ago and just became deeply ingrained in a number of different cultures. Whatever the reason is it's completely irrational.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:26 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Who has made us Jews different from all other people? Who has allowed us to suffer so terribly up until now? It is G-d who has made us as we are, but it will be God, too, who will raise us up again. Who knows it might even be our religion from which the world and all peoples learn good, and for that reason and only that reason do we suffer. We can never become just Netherlanders, or just English or representatives of any country for that matter. We will always remain Jews."

- From the diary of Anne Frank, April 11, 1944
Anne Frank made a point of stressing that Jews have something of special value to give to the world, and that is precisely what the world has resented, and that is why people have persecuted Jews. Anne Frank identifies anti-Semitism as a hatred of Jewishness, a loathing altogether different from the bigotry or racism that other peoples experience...the rest can be found at The Reason For Anti-Semitism

Old 06-10-2007, 07:16 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,259 times
Good question. Could it be because no other race of people or nation on Earth makes the claim that they are "Gods Chosen People"?
I also heard the President of Iran and leaders of a few other Middle East Countries say on the news, that the Jews of Israel are of Easten European or Anglo ancestry and therefore, are not the original Jews.

Perhaps its for these reasons, I don't know.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:20 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Good question. Could it be because no other race of people or nation on Earth makes the claim that they are "Gods Chosen People"?
I also heard the President of Iran and leaders of a few other Middle East Countries say on the news, that the Jews of Israel are of Easten European or Anglo ancestry and therefore, are not the original Jews.

Perhaps its for these reasons, I don't know.
I dont think id listen much to what Iran says, and according to the Bible, the Jews ARE GOds chosen people.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:37 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Who has made us Jews different from all other people? Who has allowed us to suffer so terribly up until now? It is G-d who has made us as we are, but it will be God, too, who will raise us up again. Who knows it might even be our religion from which the world and all peoples learn good, and for that reason and only that reason do we suffer. We can never become just Netherlanders, or just English or representatives of any country for that matter. We will always remain Jews."

- From the diary of Anne Frank, April 11, 1944
Anne Frank made a point of stressing that Jews have something of special value to give to the world, and that is precisely what the world has resented, and that is why people have persecuted Jews. Anne Frank identifies anti-Semitism as a hatred of Jewishness, a loathing altogether different from the bigotry or racism that other peoples experience...the rest can be found at The Reason For Anti-Semitism
Hear. Hear. Thank you for that!

As for the Jews claiming to be God's chosen people, I have had many interesting discussion with them, and several corrected me on this point.
From their perspective and history, it appears that God did not choose them, *they* chose God. I thought that was interesting. Maybe gizmo can shed additional light on this, or someone else here who is Jewish?

In a nutshell, I guess the answer to the question posed would be jealousy and ignorance.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I dont think id listen much to what Iran says, and according to the Bible, the Jews ARE GOds chosen people.
Not to nit pick, but you have to assume belief in the bible to assume that the Jews are God's chosen people. So if you don't believe in the bible, as many other religions don't, then it would be understandable to think of believing that Jews are God's chosen people as being arrogance. Could be a reason for some people not liking them. A lot of Christian groups (the extreme ones) also don't like Jews because they rejected Jesus. As for the middle east well there's the whole taking back Israel and displacing who the middle eaterners believe are the true people that land belonged to. So all in all I think there are lots of excuses for people hating Jews. Just as there are lots of reasons for people hating anyone who is different from them. It all comes down to ignorance and prejudice, which is usually passed down from generation to generation.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:47 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I think some Christian groups are intimidated by Jews because the Christians realize their belief changes the OT yet still relies on the OT...therefore, they piggybacked someone else's religion, changed it, then said the original creators of it are the ones who are going to hell.

This would automatically put anyone in a defensive position. Or rather, they have put themselves into this defensive position.

The existence of the Jews is a constant reminder of an older religion, a longer standing religion, and that is intimidating. So...get rid of them! Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Hence the Jews have been victims of being forced out of their country of origin...forced out of the countries they eventually settled in...being the victims of pograms...victims of the Inquisition...victims of the holocaust...told they can not buy from or can not sell to Christians...etc. throughout history.

Tough darts, they're not goin' away. I lived most of my life in an area with a very large Jewish population and the Christians I knew didn't "hate" the Jews. I think it's easier to hate a group when you can hold it at a distance, and never look at it as individuals but rather "a problem" or "the problem".

It's all pretty sickening if you ask me.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:08 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
JerZ,

From a religious standpoint, it would follow that Muslims hate Christians and Jews for the very same reason as they also believe in the OT and Jesus, and added Mohammed after that. The newest think the oldest should convert to follow them. Reminds me of kids who think their parents aren't as informed as they are. We should all just respect each other if we follow good ways.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:37 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Okay, I guess I should jump in here, being that I'm the only Jewish poster (that I'm aware of)... I actually answered this question on another thread recently, so I'll re-post what I said there:

"Actually what you asked is a very good question, and an incredibly complicated one at that. There are many reasons we've been persecuted, ranging from the belief that we killed Christ, hatred of Israeli politics, simple ignorance, and even the fear that we're trying to control the world. Ever heard of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion? It was a famous hoax from nearly 100 years ago, which convinced millions (?) of people that we were a dangerous force: Anti-Semitic Myths: The Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion: Introduction
I suggest you also read through this site, to see other reasons we're so hated by some: Anti-Semitism International

Unfortunately there's a LONG history of Jewish persecution and Anti-Semitism, which has been passed through the generations... luckily it seems to be lessening with each generation, so maybe one day it'll be nearly gone. Wishful thinking, I know. But as a result of these ongoing struggles, we've become an extremely strong people, despite our small presence... kinda off-topic, but it reminds me of a famous old Jewish saying, which we use to explain our holidays: "They tried to kill us, we won, let's eat!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism