Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 01:43 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
I think you may be right, it very well could stem from jealousy, in olden times people thought it was amazing, anything the God of Abraham touched turned to Gold, other people's idols never gave them the same luck. And look how long the Jews have lasted, the Nazies noticed how many things the Jews had survived, and they even survived what the Nazies brought upon them. They are mentioned in the Bible as God's chosen people and they are a very faithful people. I don't know if I'm bringing up any good points or not but I can see that anti-semetism could stem from jealousy.
Yes, I think these are all good points... it makes me think of racism towards African-Americans, and how people in the slave-days would become angry at any who succeeded. They tried & tried to keep them down, but they were too strong of a people to let it happen - and that apparently is very threatening to some.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:49 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Don't know how accurate this is, but here's what I seem to remember. In the dark days of the earliest Christian era, the Jews were seen as the "group" who had rejected Christ, and demanded His crucifixion. Pontius Pilate allowed this to take place, to placate the angry mob.
Later, as the two religions spread throughout Europe, harsh laws were enacted against Jews. In most European areas, they were unable to own farmland- this in an era when 98% of the populace lived off the land. Confined to specific areas in cities (the original meaning of the word "ghetto") the Jews turned to buying, selling, and money-lending as a means to make a living. I imagine it was an easy leap to then begin to view them as "greedy", particularly for those who resented paying off their loans, etc. For simple people of the soil, probably anyone who dealt in money or worked indoors or could read or write, was felt to seem greedy or conniving.
In later centuries, many Jewish people did indeed form "networks" or family-organized associations of a sort, trading business tips, information, etc. This further added to the reputation of clannishness, or having some sort of an "inside track" or a "knack" for making money. There is a similar feeling around the Pacific Basin toward the large, family-based business organizations of the Chinese, who are often called "the Jews of the East".
In the dark days of the 1930's, the relatively business-savvy, and still largely separate, Jewish populations in the cities of Germany made a tempting target for Hitler's raging fury as he "inflamed" the angry, disillusioned masses. It was a "them vs. us" picture that he promoted. The rest is history.
In the middle east, though The Jews had valid claims, from the beginning of history, to the Holy Land, the creation of the modern State of Israel (in 1948, I believe) involved large numbers of European jewish refugees who were moved en-masse by a sympathetic world to their "birthright" land, then known as Palestine. In the eyes of the West, this was seen as a Jewish homecoming; in the eyes of local Arabs, it was looked upon as a large-scale foreign invasion, backed up by the British and Americans.
This enraged the existing residents there, Palestinians who also had centuries of history and saw the place as THEIR birthright. They were jostled around and forced to accomodate the new settlers. The resulting rancor and ill-feeling continues even to the present day, as each group shares the tiny land it feels belongs to it alone. The angry message from the Arab world is that the Jews should die; be annhilated; be pushed into the sea; etc. etc.-- Guess this could qualify as "hate". When we back up the Israelis, the hatred is also extended to us.
I think this is basically pretty accurate....did I leave anything out?

Old 07-04-2007, 07:37 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
I have an idea which may be stretching it a bit, but the jealousy issue rang a bell for me.

I once had a forum friend who was a pagan. She had had one Christian parent and one Jewish. They sent her for studies in both religions.

She ended up believing in the essence of religions - spirituality, but without much of the dogma.

She said the glaring difference that she found, while being taught in both religions, is that in Christianity many of her questions elicited the answer that you just had to accept such-and-such belief on faith or on the Bible. In her Jewish studies the rabbi researched the pronouncements of ancient scholors and really tried to reason out all of her questions with her. He appealed to her intellect.

I believe, on the whole, Jewish people have better minds than Christians. I think it may be because the religion treats growing young minds as one of its most precious assets.

There is no 'children must be seen and not heard' here.

A Jewish guy I worked with said he took his family for an outing. He observed how noisy his car was and how cars of wasp families had the kids sitting in the back, quietly. He wondered how they did that, thinking it superior.

Christians sometimes see Jews as brash and pushy.

Ok, perhaps some Jewish kids can be a handfull, but look at the independent and creative thinking that has broken the mold of the past - scientists, artists, etc, that they have contributed. That, in my opinion, does not happen by accident.

In short, I think there may be elements in child rearing, tied in to the religion, that encourage great thinking, tenacity, and a blooming of the psyche.

I am fully aware that these things are changing and there are stereotypes givin here which do not apply across the board.

Jews, along with other groups which have been wronged against in American society, Italians, women - once had the reputation of only promoting their own, of always favoring their own group to the exclusion of others. This tends to change as people are treated fairly by society, but it does cause resentment.

My only contention against some Jews (and some none-Jews) is the channelling of US resources into the Israeli situation, which is branching out into a war with many Arabs and creating terrorists where there were none. It also is causing a solidarity among Muslims the world over and my thought is that the world is a better place with fewer theocracies.

But I would have felt the same way about Ireland or any country/peoples, if their situation with Britain bloomed into a similar situation for the US.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:30 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
I agree with the general idea or concept with some of the other posts about the hate and resentment being rooted in religious history and spiritual self perception or self identity. The Jews have proclaimed themselves to be the chosen people of God through their writings, The Torah (aka The Old Testament), and in these writings God is portrayed as endorsing and championing their cause against other human tribes and peoples not only for religious reasons but seemingly for racial/ethnic supremacy and domination too. This is chronicled throughout the OT in the various wars and battles that were waged and conquests of lands occupied by other human tribes. To this day many Jews believe that Israel or Palestine belongs to them because God gave it to them. These are extraordinary claims in a modern, secular, political context.

Whenever one group challenges another based on a belief of having God’s favor or divine providence you will always have conflict and hate whether the assertion of being favored by God is made by Jews, Christians, or Muslims. All three groups have done it to advance their own cause and agenda.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:33 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Life is rough enough without the mindless hatred that is furthered by religion. I wish someone would do a study, but I will bet there is a high correlation of wars with the influence religion has on a political state.

Some people are just so brainwashed by the tribal concepts of some early tribal religion that they cannot think straight about the issues of the day. In fact, today's political issues often require research and insight. For some, it is just less taxing on their intellect to go along with some recipe created by early ancestors.

This is not to discredit spiritual feelings, but the dogma should never influence political decisions.

I think it is easier to go along than to rock the boat. Some people live in communities in which all people worship in a similar way. Voicing an opposing opinion may leave one isolated from the community. One's livelihood could suffer.

Look at the feelings against gays. That probably was practical when we were in small tribes and wanted to grow in numbers. Many children were a blessing. Now, families must be small to be managable. The world is becoming overpopulated. We are killing the planet - choking in our own refuse.

It's time to remove the old taboos against gays. Maybe they should even be encouraged - horrors!

There are studies on animals, when the population gets too large for an area, turning on each other and there are more animal suicides.
Maybe war, disease, abortion, gayness - are all in the balance of nature - God's way of thinning the herd and saving the planet. Maybe so many of the religious are actually going against the divine plan.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
I agree with the general idea or concept with some of the other posts about the hate and resentment being rooted in religious history and spiritual self perception or self identity. The Jews have proclaimed themselves to be the chosen people of God through their writings, The Torah (aka The Old Testament), and in these writings God is portrayed as endorsing and championing their cause against other human tribes and peoples not only for religious reasons but seemingly for racial/ethnic supremacy and domination too. This is chronicled throughout the OT in the various wars and battles that were waged and conquests of lands occupied by other human tribes. To this day many Jews believe that Israel or Palestine belongs to them because God gave it to them. These are extraordinary claims in a modern, secular, political context.
Well... if you really believe the Bible is the word of God, then WE didn't proclaim ourselves as "The Chosen People" - God did. And to be honest, I'm sick & tired of people throwing that in our faces, and using it as an excuse to hate us. I've NEVER referred to myself that way, or implied that I'm better than anyone because I'm Jewish. It's time to drop that old argument, and to treat us like equal & worthy humans... no matter what the Bible or history books say about us. Oh, and I'm also sick of hearing Israel-related issues as another reason to dislike the Jews. I've been to Israel, and support PEACE in the country - and that's where my opinions on that end.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:06 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,025,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well... if you really believe the Bible is the word of God, then WE didn't proclaim ourselves as "The Chosen People" - God did. And to be honest, I'm sick & tired of people throwing that in our faces, and using it as an excuse to hate us. I've NEVER referred to myself that way, or implied that I'm better than anyone because I'm Jewish. It's time to drop that old argument, and to treat us like equal & worthy humans... no matter what the Bible or history books say about us. Oh, and I'm also sick of hearing Israel-related issues as another reason to dislike the Jews. I've been to Israel, and support PEACE in the country - and that's where my opinions on that end.
Whoa....what's with the hostility? No, I don't believe the Bible is the literal word of God. And I was not referring to you or how you personally describe or refer to yourself. I don't even know you. I made a reference to what is stated and chronicled in Jewish sacred scripture. I only reference Israel because in terms of the Jewish/Arab conflict, it is all about religious belief and self perception on both sides which breeds the hate and conflict that we see. Israel is considered holy land to both groups.

My point was that people can be hated for and because of their religion and religious/cultural identity. Likewise in the name of religion people can also advocate and perpetuate hate as well as oppression of other people who are different.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:09 PM

358 posts, read 916,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Good question. Could it be because no other race of people or nation on Earth makes the claim that they are "Gods Chosen People"?
The question is: why are the Jews chosen? And for what? Without any context, the concept is impossible to comprehend.

At the time of Abraham, polytheism was common. Babies and virgins were murdered in the name of sacrifice. Jews were chosen by G-d for one purpose: to spread the concept of monotheism, that is, just one G-d. Jews were never chosen to be more beautiful, rich, wise, pious, or anything else. Simply to spread the word of monotheism. Unfortunately, many people jump to conclusions and don't understand and thus employ their own ignorance as the basis of prejudice.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:29 PM

358 posts, read 916,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
Why don't we just let Israel have all of the Middle East. From what I've seem in the news Israel keeps trying to compromise and make peace but Iran and the Palestinians say "we'll make peace when all the Jews are dead." Well jeeze who's side should we be on?
Bingo! During the 2000-2001 peace talks with Clinton, an exceptionally generous offering was delivered to Arafat (himself a multi-billionaire who chose not to use his wealth to feed and educate the people he represented). The word "generous" is all in the eye of the beholder, right? Fact: Prince Bandar of Saudi Arabia (a Muslim and ardent supporter of Palestinians) urged Arafat to accept the offer by saying, "I hope you remember, sir, what I told you. If we lose this opportuity, it is not going to be a tragedy, it is going to be a crime."

Shortly after Arafat rejected the offer, the Palestinians responded with the Intifada, murdering hundreds of Israelis. The more generous Israel is with peace offers, the more violent the Palestinians react.

Cal Thomas had a great column on this at:

Good will? Good grief*-*Nation/Politics*-*The Washington Times, America's Newspaper

(If, for some reason, that link doesn't work, just google the four words: Cal Thomas Good Will)

Old 07-04-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Whoa....what's with the hostility? No, I don't believe the Bible is the literal word of God. And I was not referring to you or how you personally describe or refer to yourself. I don't even know you. I made a reference to what is stated and chronicled in Jewish sacred scripture. I only reference Israel because in terms of the Jewish/Arab conflict, it is all about religious belief and self perception on both sides which breeds the hate and conflict that we see. Israel is considered holy land to both groups.

My point was that people can be hated for and because of their religion and religious/cultural identity. Likewise in the name of religion people can also advocate and perpetuate hate as well as oppression of other people who are different.
My "hostility" (I wasn't actual being hostile, fyi) wasn't directed at YOU, and I didn't think you were addressing me personally either... just venting my frustrations based on what you said, which brought up stuff I've heard for - oh - 30 years now. Sorry if you thought I was "yelling" at you, but it just gets hard to hear this your whole life. How would you feel, if there were entire debates on why people HATE you? Trust me, it gets old really fast. But I know you were just explaining things, so sorry again if you thought I was being hostile toward you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism