Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:09 PM

253 posts, read 640,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
You make good points and well taken...but
I've been a victim of the other side of things that I've explained in my prior post. We are told at work...we cannot say Christmas...we must say Holiday...and the ol fashioned Christmas Carols have been taken away and thats a fact...they've been replaced with Frosty the Snowman, etc.

So, there are two sides to every story....and although I still hold ground on my last post, your post is the other side of the coin. Thank you
You know what I think, I think we should celebrate them all in public, every major religious holiday should have mention in school as it comes around, it would help the students to understand other people's beliefs and it would be fun. We used to sing Christmas Carols in school when I was little, we celebrated halloween, I would have loved to have a passover party or something like that, it would have been great. too many people complain though, no matter what it is, it's the people who ruin it for themselves, not the government. The system doesn't do that because they hate us, they do it because we complain if they don't, they just want to stay out of trouble but we complain anyways.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:18 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
If you believe in the cause of Israel, then send them YOUR money and help. Do not petition MY government to help with MY dollars.

This is only fair.
In that case, can we stop spending MY money on the "war" in Iraq??? But seriously, I do send my money directly to Israel, when I'm feeling the need to help their cause... I've even planted a few trees there by hand, and frequently give to Israeli-based charity organizations. Unfortunately I have no control over how the US government spends their money, though I wish I did - considering how many causes I'm against that my tax money goes toward.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:07 PM

And for those who don't realize how much Israel is hated, and thus the Jews (for many)... check out this thread on P&C: https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ke-bolton.html

Old 07-02-2007, 08:20 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have several Jewish friends.
One is a person I work with, who is orthodox. I respect this person a great deal. He is not a Zionist.
Another is a teacher who also is not a Zionist.
A third is constantly emailing me hate mail about Moslems.
Please tell me what you mean when you use "Zionist" like a dirty word? The dictionary definition doesn't explain to me why it is an insult?

Old 07-02-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
Please tell me what you mean when you use "Zionist" like a dirty word? The dictionary definition doesn't explain to me why it is an insult?
It's not... but some people like to pretend it is, just like when neo-cons say "liberals" with their snarky tone. To be a Zionist simply means to support the state of Israel, but the media & whoever else has turned it into a more volatile concept. This is mostly based on the extreme examples, just like with political and religious figures who give their "side" a bad name. Would the Christians here like me to lump you all together with Jerry Falwell and Fred Phelps??

Oh, but when I used Zionist in a semi-negative way earlier, I really didn't mean it as such... I should have said "Zionist extremists", since that's really what I was implying. I am a Zionist in the basic sense of the word, but not in the way some people portray it.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:43 PM

434 posts, read 1,736,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's not... but some people like to pretend it is, just like when neo-cons say "liberals" with their snarky tone.
Oh great, now you'll have to tell me what you mean by "neo-con"?

Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Oh great, now you'll have to tell me what you mean by "neo-con"?
LOL... that's the extremist version of a conservative/Republican - think Ann Coulter & Bill O'Reilly.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:08 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Quote:
This is a serious question. A lot of people in this country as well as all over the world seem to hate the Jews. I don't get it? I can't imagine the world standing by while another race or religion was being systematically exterminated. I know there is strife between a lot of different ethnic and religious groups even now but the one thing they all seem to agree on is that they hate the Jews. I keep hearing about anti-Semitism all over Europe, Asia, Africa etc and it certainly gives the appearance that it is widespread and has been for centuries. Usually there is a "reason" for racial or religious hatred even if it is a stupid one. Darned if I can come up with even a stupid one for why so many diverse groups seem to have the same hatred and literally want to nuke them off the Earth. A black aquaintance of mine made a comment about "greedy Jews" the other day and I almost passed out! I mean seriously!
I for one do not hate the Jews, but there are a lot of people in the US and abroad who seem too. I guess maybe because God chose them or because Jesus was born a Jew? This hatred is certainly not of God...God created all men and HE loves HIS creation Jew and Gentile

Old 07-03-2007, 06:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,197,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsquid View Post
Neanderthals were there first . The first AMHs were the Kebarans around 20,000 years ago.
Okay seriously, you knew what I meant!

I have never understood the hatred towards Jewish people. I tend to think that it must stem from jealousy...???

Old 07-03-2007, 01:17 PM

253 posts, read 640,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
Okay seriously, you knew what I meant!

I have never understood the hatred towards Jewish people. I tend to think that it must stem from jealousy...???
I think you may be right, it very well could stem from jealousy, in olden times people thought it was amazing, anything the God of Abraham touched turned to Gold, other people's idols never gave them the same luck. And look how long the Jews have lasted, the Nazies noticed how many things the Jews had survived, and they even survived what the Nazies brought upon them. They are mentioned in the Bible as God's chosen people and they are a very faithful people. I don't know if I'm bringing up any good points or not but I can see that anti-semetism could stem from jealousy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism