Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,867,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
I have been taking Hebrew on and off for the last 4 years. I am more interested in modern Hebrew.

Also mozel tov on going before the Beit Din earlier this year.
Heh, I'm still learning the alephbet so I can follow along in the siddur.
We use Siddur Hadash, which has transliterations, at the synagogue. It helps (a lot).

I'll probably have to either find on-line classes or buy the Rosetta Stone program in order to really get anywhere; the Sandhills of North Carolina isn't exactly known for its vibrant Jewish population, and my community is quite small.

And thank you!

Old 07-03-2012, 06:32 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,093,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
It's interesting that you use 'translation' in the singular. Perhaps you could offer three or four noteworthy examles. Also, since you acknowledge that you have limited knowledge of Hebrew, I'd be interested in knowing which Torah translation(s) do you use for guidance?
Since I'm Muslim I do not use any Torah translation for Guidance. but I was a Christian at one time and still do read the KJV and the Latin Vulgat and the Douay-Rheims. The Pentateuch the first 5 books of the Bible are supposed to be the Torah.

I have read the Torah translated to Arabic. Arabic and Hebrew are very similar and have many words in common. In many ways Arabic and Hebrew are dialects of one language. A translation into Arabic is closer to the Hebrew than in any other language but even there I acknowledge there are differences.

Some difference I notice Between the Torah and the Pentateuch are the differences in the 10 commandments in the Torah and in the Pentateuch. There are no 10 commandments in the Torah. there are the "Aseret ha-Dibrot" 10 categories of the 613 Commandments. There are differences between the Hebrew “olam haboh” and the English Heaven in the KJV Pentaeuch

I am going by memory
I'll try to recall specific differences between the Pentateuch and the Torah.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,045,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Since I'm Muslim I do not use any Torah translation for Guidance. but I was a Christian at one time and still do read the KJV and the Latin Vulgat and the Douay-Rheims. The Pentateuch the first 5 books of the Bible are supposed to be the Torah.

I have read the Torah translated to Arabic. Arabic and Hebrew are very similar and have many words in common. In many ways Arabic and Hebrew are dialects of one language. A translation into Arabic is closer to the Hebrew than in any other language but even there I acknowledge there are differences.

Some difference I notice Between the Torah and the Pentateuch are the differences in the 10 commandments in the Torah and in the Pentateuch. There are no 10 commandments in the Torah. there are the "Aseret ha-Dibrot" 10 categories of the 613 Commandments. There are differences between the Hebrew “olam haboh” and the English Heaven in the KJV Pentaeuch

I am going by memory
Hebrew and Arabic are semitic languages and may have similarities but they are not dialects of one language.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM

311 posts, read 605,935 times
Aramaic, Hebrew and Arabic are semitic languages related to each other (Same as German, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, and Danish being Germanic and related to each other)

Aramaic was the language spoken by Jesus Christ and is still spoken mainly by the Assyrians/Syriacs (Around 500,000 speakers) today in diaspora.

Hebrew is spoken mainly by the Jews in Israel as is an official language in Israel (along with Arabic).

Arabic is the native language of prophet Muhammed, and is spoken mostly by Muslims as well as large Christian community.

So..

Aramaic = Christian
Arabic = Muslim
Hebrew = Jewish

All three religions are Abrahamic and related to each other, as well as the languages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
English: Hello/Hi

Aramaic: Shlomo
Arabic: Salam
Hebrew: Shalom

English: Twenty

Aramaic: Isri
Arabic: Ishren
Hebrew: Ischren

English: No

Aramaic: Lo
Arabic: La
Hebrew: Lo

Old 07-03-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
Aramaic, Hebrew and Arabic are semitic languages related to each other (Same as German, Swedish, Norwegian, Dutch, and Danish being Germanic and related to each other)

Aramaic was the language spoken by Jesus Christ and is still spoken mainly by the Assyrians/Syriacs (Around 500,000 speakers) today in diaspora.

Hebrew is spoken mainly by the Jews in Israel as is an official language in Israel (along with Arabic).

Arabic is the native language of prophet Muhammed, and is spoken mostly by Muslims as well as large Christian community.

So..

Aramaic = Christian
Arabic = Muslim
Hebrew = Jewish

All three religions are Abrahamic and related to each other, as well as the languages.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
English: Hello/Hi

Aramaic: Shlomo
Arabic: Salam
Hebrew: Shalom

English: Twenty

Aramaic: Isri
Arabic: Ishren
Hebrew: Ischren

English: No

Aramaic: Lo
Arabic: La
Hebrew: Lo

And this has to do with the op which is Chrstian missionaries infiltrating Jewish communities?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Hebrew and Arabic are semitic languages and may have similarities but they are not dialects of one language.
I'll agree that is more of an opinion on my part than fact.

But there are so many similarities between Aramaic, Hebrew and Arabic especially that spoken over 1000 years ago a speaker of one can understand very much of what a speaker of another says. Up until 70-100 years Before the Qur'an there was no written Arabic alphabet and Hebrew letters were often used to write Arabic

I have a hard time not seeing Phoenician, Hebrew, Aramaic and Aramaic as not being variations of one language. But that is my view.

Just an example of words beginning with Beyth (Arabic Baa)

https://sites.google.com/site/arabic...hebrew/baa---b

Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 PM

584 posts, read 598,550 times
Quote:
Between which rendition of the Pentateuch and informed by which translation of the Torah?

You act as if there are two distinct manuscripts when in fact that categorization/conceptualization is simply nonsense.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I'll agree that is more of an opinion on my part than fact.

But there are so many similarities between Aramaic, Hebrew and Arabic especially that spoken over 1000 years ago a speaker of one can understand very much of what a speaker of another says. Up until 70-100 years Before the Qur'an there was no written Arabic alphabet and Hebrew letters were often used to write Arabic

I have a hard time not seeing Phoenician, Hebrew, Aramaic and Aramaic as not being variations of one language. But that is my view.

Just an example of words beginning with Beyth (Arabic Baa)

https://sites.google.com/site/arabic...hebrew/baa---b

Lots of languages share an similar alphabet and have words in common, that does not mean they are the same language. It means they either developed in the same part of the world or that in migrations there was a transfer of various words into other languages.

Arabic and Hebrew are semitic languages and developed in the same part of the world but they are not the same language.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Lots of languages share an similar alphabet and have words in common, that does not mean they are the same language. It means they either developed in the same part of the world or that in migrations there was a transfer of various words into other languages.

Arabic and Hebrew are semitic languages and developed in the same part of the world but they are not the same language.
Most Muslims I know would agree with you. But, I still see more similarities between the 2 languages than differences.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Most Muslims I know would agree with you. But, I still see more similarities between the 2 languages than differences.
If you want to think they are the same that is your opinion. I just don't, but I agree there are similarities. that does not surprise me they are semitic languages but they are not the same language.

Arabic came out of the Arabian peninsula. There are many different dialects of Arabic, Hebrew is not one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism