Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:41 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker Soule View Post
On The Torah is Not in Heaven ...My apologies to Woodrow and others who would have not recognized the reference in my previous post. It's a great and widely known little story (midrash) and deservedly so - especially when counterposed to the bibliolatry that too often characterizes theological discourse.

The bottom line is that theflipflop's false dilemma - to paraphrase ...
  1. Screw Torah. [or]
  2. Screw God.
was contemptuous and disingenuous in the extreme. He has every right to observe Shabbat the way he does. He has absolutely no right to denigrate charolastra00 for doing likewise. Her service should be applauded.
Her service should definitly be applauded, if she were to do it on the other 6 days of the week where such work activity is permitted. She chose to do it on the one day of the week where she did "screw Torah," and in doing so, did "screw G-d." And she likely chose to do this work on the Shabbos out of her personal convenience, when clearly there were other options.

And sure, it's fun to discuss such noble lofty examples such as helping cancer patients, but it's really all rendered moot as soon as she turns on a television that same Shabbos day she helped a cancer survivor, or drives to the grocery store to buy some milk. Explain to me where that type of activity is permitted. And then how man, as terribly limited as we are, gets to decide the difference between buying milk on Shabbos and driving to help a cancer patient.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Her service should definitly be applauded, if she were to do it on the other 6 days of the week where such work activity is permitted. She chose to do it on the one day of the week where she did "screw Torah," and in doing so, did "screw G-d." And she likely chose to do this work on the Shabbos out of her personal convenience, when clearly there were other options.

And sure, it's fun to discuss such noble lofty examples such as helping cancer patients, but it's really all rendered moot as soon as she turns on a television that same Shabbos day she helped a cancer survivor, or drives to the grocery store to buy some milk. Explain to me where that type of activity is permitted. And then how man, as terribly limited as we are, gets to decide the difference between buying milk on Shabbos and driving to help a cancer patient.
Hence why one should not post on a silly web forum on Shabbos. I've decided to report you all to Hashem next time I see you post on Shabbos.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:21 AM

584 posts, read 598,014 times
Quote:
Explain to me where that type of activity is permitted.
No. Explain to us where in the Torah it's proscribed.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
No. Explain to us where in the Torah it's proscribed.
If your question is serious, I would say start with Tractate Shabbos - Art Scroll / Shottenstein has it in a 3-book edition with excellent translations and commentary included. The entire tractate explains the mesorah Moshe Rabbeinu was given at Mount Sinai with regards to Shabbos. It forms the basic foundation with which the Tannaim, Amoraim, Rishonim, etc have taught k'lal yisroel normative Shabbos halacha.

Oh wait, I forgot, you deny the validity of the Oral Torah and only accept half of the Torah - the written Torah. Sorry, that makes us unable to have a proper discussion on the subject, as you only proscribe to half of the Jewish view on anything (a fact, not a judgement).

Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
If your question is serious, I would say start with ...
The question was
Explain to us where in the Torah it's proscribed.
It was completely serious and as yet unanswered.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The question was
Explain to us where in the Torah it's proscribed.
It was completely serious and as yet unanswered.
I told you exactly where it is in the Torah: Mesechta Shabbos.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:20 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
She chose to do it on the one day of the week where she did "screw Torah," and in doing so, did "screw G-d."
That is not a very nice thing to say.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
That is not a very nice thing to say.
Rebuke comes in mnay forms, hiker. This Judaism forum is truly on the farthest edges of normative Judaism. This forum is filled mostly with angry, off the derech Jews and non-Jews who have agendas against Judaism. At this point, I think more solid rebuke is what's best. Hippy dippy, practice as you see fit Judaism (which primarily takes the form of denying the validity of the Torah) has always been a recipe for non-existence for us Jews. I prefer to follow the prooven formula for keeping and growing the Jewish people, of which rebuke is a solid piece of that formula.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
This forum is filled mostly with angry, off the derech Jews and non-Jews who have agendas against Judaism.
And what is this other than an angry and slanderous ad hominem?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:44 AM

I can't control if you all decide to drive yours cars or turn on your tv's on Shabbos. Or if you go to work on Shabbos. But I can ask again: could any of you agree to not post on Shabbos? (We've had one poster here agree so far - nice job, 1+1 - who else is onboard with the Torah?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism