Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 02:09 PM

348 posts, read 217,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solojoh View Post
I know the Jewish and Christian ideas of the afterlife are different. Can anyone describe to me what was being asked when Jews came to Jesus and asked him questions like, "What must I do to have eternal life?"

Are they talking about "going to heaven?"

Does 'eternal life' mean living for ever without dying? or something other/more?

Something else?

Thanks,
Sonia
God is Eternal Life.

Old 11-22-2014, 06:53 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
Eternal life is not now, nor ever has it been, a Jewish concept. You're asking us a question framed in Chrstian ideology. I don't think any Jews are going to be able to answer your question.

Really?...

Dan 12:1 And at that time Michael the great prince shall stand up, that stands over the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of tribulation, such tribulation as has not been from the time that there was a nation on the earth until that time: at that time thy people shall be delivered, even every one that is written in the book.
Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to reproach and everlasting shame.

MOD CUT

Last edited by Woodrow LI; 11-24-2014 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: See sticky thread regarding the use of Hebrew

Old 11-23-2014, 08:07 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,151 times
What's with all of these Christians posting Christian ideas on the Jewish forum? How would they feel if Muslims started posting passages from the Quran and hadith?

I think that these Christians are not even aware that they are proselytizing because of the false belief that some of them have that Christianity is Judaism fulfilled.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:44 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,668,595 times
This is the Original Post. Bold highlighting added to emphasize that this is in the appropriate forum.

Quote:
I know the Jewish and Christian ideas of the afterlife are different. Can anyone describe to me what was being asked when Jews came to Jesus and asked him questions like, "What must I do to have eternal life?"

Does 'eternal life' mean living for ever without dying? or something other/more?

Something else?

Thanks,
Sonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
What's with all of these Christians posting Christian ideas on the Jewish forum? How would they feel if Muslims started posting passages from the Quran and hadith?

I think that these Christians are not even aware that they are proselytizing because of the false belief that some of them have that Christianity is Judaism fulfilled.
Well, I cleaned up the thread. The way the original post is phrased and the info added in the third post make it clear the question was posed asking for a Jewish response. Therefore, if you're not Jewish, you probably have nothing to contribute to his conversation.

Any further proselytizing in this thread will result in doubled infraction without warnings, meaning that posting restrictions will be automatically imposed.

You have two choices. Make relevant comments, or ignore this thread and move on.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:35 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Modern day Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with its roots. Look at how an Orthodox Jew leads life versus how a fundamentalist Christian leads their life. Two totally different ways of being. In the latter, being fundamentalist does not mean that they feel any obligation to the 613 Commandments, even if Jesus himself would have (if he was a good Jew, which is debatable) encouraged his flock to follow.

At the very least, look at how Christians do not celebrate any Jewish holidays. Most Jewish holidays originated BCE, so why don't Christians observe? That alone shows what little tie there is today between Christianity and its Jewish roots. Similar is the idea of hell as being fire and brimstone - that's not a Jewish idea and therefore has no place theologically in Christianity, yet there it is!
I agree that modern day Christianity is not a branch of Judaism. The Jesus movement (*) started as a form of Judaism that believed that the Messiah had come. Paul and the Gospels (esp. Matthew) went to great lengths to use Jewish scripture to justify their particular agendas, with varying degrees of actual applicability. But that is too long and involved a story for this forum. Suffice it to say that Paul spread the word of a coming general resurrection and judgment (Daniel style) among the Gentiles where it caught on. The lifestyle of the average lower class Gentile in the Roman Empire was pretty sucky. Pie in the sky sounded good.

But it is clear from reading Paul that this branch of the Jesus movement was not Judaism but a new universal thing and its Gentile members were not to follow Jewish law. (Let’s face it, adult circumcision is not a big selling point. ) The Jerusalem based Jewish branch of the Jesus movement apparently did not long survive the Jewish Revolt. Aside from such curiosities as the Ebionites and the occasional ‘Judaizer’, the Jesus movement was now essentially all Gentile. But its roots, its justification, were firmly rooted in Jewish scriptures, or at least interpretations thereof.

And so the ‘Jewish but not Jewish character’ of Christianity was born.

(*) The term Christianity does not appear until about the end of the first century CE when the separation of the Jesus movement from Judaism was already well advanced.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:39 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:

Something else?

Thanks,
Sonia
No, the Israelite believers outside of Paul's ministry do not "go to heaven." They are resurrected to stand on the land and enter the kingdom on earth Christ will set up which will be the head of all the nations.

They actually asked: "What must I do to have age-during or "eonian" life which is life pertaining to the coming age/eon.

Eonian life means to have life for the duration of at least the next eon.

Believers of the nations under Paul's ministry no only get eonian life, they also get immortality and incorruption in the resurrection and meet the Lord in the air and they are the ones who go to the heavens or celestial regions.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Well for most it meant I don't want to be dead before 30- at least way back when

Old 11-25-2014, 12:07 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

Believers of the nations under Paul's ministry no only get eonian life, they also get immortality and incorruption in the resurrection and meet the Lord in the air and they are the ones who go to the heavens or celestial regions.

No, They don't.

I wasn't going to speak in this thread, but what you say here just isn't true, what I mean is, that what you say is not taught in the New Testament. Salvation is salvation, and reward is reward, you are putting reward on everyone who believes, and only the very few receive a reward and not one is a gentile.

I would love to have a conversation in the Christians forum about it, but not here.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:08 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,363,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
No, They don't.

I would love to have a conversation in the Christians forum about it, but not here.
This thread contains purely Chrstian ideas, being discussed almost exclusively by Chrstians. I say we rename this the babagonoush forum. This thread has exactly zero to do with Judaism.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:55 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
This thread contains purely Chrstian ideas, being discussed almost exclusively by Chrstians. I say we rename this the babagonoush forum. This thread has exactly zero to do with Judaism.
I have done my best to answer the question raised in the OP and elsewhere. My posts have definitely not been "purely Christian". I thought that my posts were relevant to Judaism. My quotes were even from the TaNaKh. Oh ... and I am not a Christian, just knowledgeable about Christianity and its early history.

But if you feel I am intruding, I will not post here.

Suit yourself. I'm easy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.