Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:53 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,087,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Simmer down and don't bother the poor Jewish people.
That's an oxymoron if I ever seen one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
She told you the truth. You should be thankful somebody was willing to do so.
And you point being?...

Old 09-21-2014, 09:02 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervooous View Post
Convert to Christianity and be done!
We don't need fake converts any more than the Jews do.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
Awww thank you so very much! Unfortunately, I also happen to be Black, so that alone stops many Jews from even talking to me to ever discover what type of person that I am (interestingly, frum Jews who are senior citizens get along very well with me...I think because they can relate to what it's like to be discriminated against more so than younger Jews).

I've kinda accepted that the "right time" is behind me, being that I'm already in my mid-30s. But trust me, I don't want to be in a relationship where I'm made to feel uncomfortable because I was born a non-Jew and/or because of my race. I don't want to be miserable during the limited time that I have on this planet.

I hope that you have a good New Year!
What led you to convert?...If I may ask...

Old 09-21-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We don't need fake converts any more than the Jews do.
What's your point?...

Old 09-21-2014, 01:08 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,785,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
There are Jews that are Black. I recall going to a congregation to hear some music years back and this Black man came down from New York and put on a wonderful concert. He was born Jewish and both of his parents were Jewish too and Black. He had the soul of a Black man and the songs of Hebrew like a Jewish man. I talked to him and told him how wonderful of a performance he put on and got his CD.
That would be Joshua Nelson I'm guessing? (I dunno....never seen him perform).

Black Jews, especially outside of NYC and Chicago are few and far in between. In general, we tend to be members of White Jewish congregations. So while it is interesting to read about Black Jews in these large Jewish cities, their experiences are very different from mine .

Old 09-21-2014, 01:10 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,785,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What led you to convert?...If I may ask...
It wasn't just one thing. I made the decision to become Jewish when I was 14 years old. It was a very long road to actually getting that done (I didn't live around any Jews, a synagogue...nothing. I had to wait until I went away to college before I could participate in anything Jewishly on a regular basis).

Judaism just came through as the truth to me. I just couldn't believe or claim anything else.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:58 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,058,079 times
Quote:
That would be Joshua Nelson I'm guessing? (I dunno....never seen him perform).

Black Jews, especially outside of NYC and Chicago are few and far in between. In general, we tend to be members of White Jewish congregations. So while it is interesting to read about Black Jews in these large Jewish cities, their experiences are very different from mine .

I forgot his name and found his CD just now, and it is Joshua He even signed it for me

Old 09-22-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
It wasn't just one thing. I made the decision to become Jewish when I was 14 years old. It was a very long road to actually getting that done (I didn't live around any Jews, a synagogue...nothing. I had to wait until I went away to college before I could participate in anything Jewishly on a regular basis).

Judaism just came through as the truth to me. I just couldn't believe or claim anything else.
That is how I see it...

Old 09-22-2014, 09:49 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What's your point?...
Exactly what I said. "Convert to Christianity and be done!" if it's not genuine is no better than converting to Judaism for incorrect reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism