Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 02:42 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonof View Post
So why did he decide not to give us an opportunity to use our free will and err for a while by by mixing meat and milk?
Why that is so expressly prohibited? Did not he know that in this case too we will grow out our errors eventually and will mature exactly when he has planned?
You’re talking about Halacha...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 04:25 PM

623 posts, read 311,129 times
Quote:
Here is another question then.
What would make any questioning heretical? Check a dictionary.
Is not any question on any subject should be welcome? Absolutely not. Would you ask about the use of marjoram on an automobile repair forum?
What would make a question heretical, undesirable etc? Check a dictionary. . . .

The only caviate [do you mean caveat?]being, that this feeling is faulty, for it's there not by virtue of reason. It is there only b/c it's protected by rule.
Capisce?

Old 05-15-2019, 04:33 PM

477 posts, read 124,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You’re talking about Halacha...
I'm talking about an explicit prohibition “do not cook a kid in its mother’s milk,”
which appears a total of 3 times in the Torah (Exodus 23:19, & 34:26 and Deuteronomy 14:21) and from which a general rule of not mixing meat and milk was derived.

So why did he decide not to give us an opportunity to use our free will and err for a while by cooking a kid in its mother’s milk?
Why that is so expressly prohibited? Did not he know that in this case too we will grow out our errors eventually and will mature exactly when he has planned?

Why something supremely amoral is, at very least endorsed, but something totally harmless (at least there is 0 scientific evidence that it causes any harm) is almost a mortal sin?

Old 05-15-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben Shunamit View Post
Capisce?
Quote:
What would make any questioning heretical? - Check a dictionary.
I checked.
Yes, I do "hold an opinion at odds with what is generally accepted", at least on this forum.
So what? I still don't see what's wrong with asking the question.
Maybe I just misinterpreted your comment and you too don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions?

Quote:
Is not any question on any subject should be welcome? - Absolutely not. Would you ask about the use of marjoram on an automobile repair forum?
Looks like I did not misinterpret your comment after all. You do think there are unwelcomed questions.

I would not ask about the use of marjoram on an automobile repair forum, but someone who is confused about meaning of this word would.
So what? He would ask question, get solid answer and learn something.That's why we ask questions - to learn.
Unless an automobile repair forum is full of intolerant idiots, neither his confusion nor his question would be frowned upon.

Capisce?

Old 05-15-2019, 06:48 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times
Quote:
That's why we ask questions - to learn.

You want to learn? Crack open a book and stop trying to bait Jews. I don't think you're fooling anybody here.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
You want to learn? Crack open a book and stop trying to bait Jews. I don't think you're fooling anybody here.
What are you talking about?
What do you mean "stop trying to bait Jews"?

First - I'm as much of a Jew as you are. 98% Ashkenazi Jew according to my genetic report.
I am as Jew as they come.

Second - what do you call baiting? Asking questions? Are my questions loaded? Tricky? NO!
They are reasonable and rational.

Is it my fault that you, apparently. can not answer a simple question without being
logically fallacious (in this case it is special pleading and "cherry picking")?No!

So who is fooling whom? Is not it looks, like you are fooling yourself?

Last edited by Sonof; 05-15-2019 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about an explicit prohibition “do not cook a kid in its mother’s milk,”
which appears a total of 3 times in the Torah (Exodus 23:19, & 34:26 and Deuteronomy 14:21) and from which a general rule of not mixing meat and milk was derived.

So why did he decide not to give us an opportunity to use our free will and err for a while by cooking a kid in its mother’s milk?

Why something supremely amoral is, at very least endorsed, but something totally harmless (at least there is 0 scientific evidence that it causes any harm) is almost a mortal sin?
How do you know that we didn’t a one time?...

Old 05-15-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How do you know that we didn’t a one time?...
I'm sorry, by I don't understand the question.
Can you expand or re-phrase?

Old 05-16-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, by I don't understand the question.
Can you expand or re-phrase?
How do you know that we didn’t seethe a kid in it’s mother’s milk at one time?...

Old 05-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Actually, I don't know.
I also don't know why would that matter and why would that be wrong in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism