Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 04:52 PM

245 posts, read 311,364 times

Advertisements

Follow common sense. If you're really worried, then send them to a commuter school. If you want them to go away, then choose a school with 30% plus Jewish population. For example, I know Binghamton has a huge Jewish population, a very active Chabad, and is reasonably priced. In that type of environment a FEW kids will become less observant, and few will become more observant, but overall most kids leave the same degree of religiosity that they started at.

Whatever you do, DON'T send them to an expensive school. If they are physically able, maybe follow the advice of the guy who said do HVAC work. They can't be outsourced and after a few years they could start a business of their own, and make their own schedule. (Which comes in handy during Jewish Holidays.)

Old 06-10-2019, 09:30 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
They get to live their own lives, but it’s culturally appropriate to stay under the mother birds wings until marriage. The secular world is a foreign awful place to a G-d fearing Jew, and our sages of blessed memory did not intend for Yidden to interact with goyim.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:06 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
What do you think? Are colleges safe places for outwardly-identifiable Jewish kids? Safe for their guf (physical body)? Safe for their neshama (Jewish soul)? Are there ways to still get a bachelors degree and not subject your children to the extreme hatred of Jews and Torah hashkafa (outlook) found on nearly 100% of college campuses?
If you have to ask, you have no understanding on how Judaism has lasted for 1000's of years.

If you really comprehend the Torah then you should get the full meaning of:

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.

Do you know what true courage?

Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 AM

We live in a time where our generations have been greatly weakened. The extreme immorality found in the secular world is uber concentrated on college campuses. It’s wrong to put a stumbling block in front of a blind man (child).

Old 06-11-2019, 07:20 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
We live in a time where our generations have been greatly weakened. The extreme immorality found in the secular world is uber concentrated on college campuses. It’s wrong to put a stumbling block in front of a blind man (child).

No, I don't agree that "extreme immorality" is "uber concentrated" on college campuses. A statement like that is extreme in itself. There are people who also believe that the teaching of evolution is an "uber concentration" of evil. I hope you're not one of those.

Edit: I don't want to start a thing here on whether schools/colleges should teach evolution -- I just threw that out as an example of a classic fear associated with institutions of higher education luring people's kids away from their faith, whereas science and faith are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-11-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-11-2019, 07:39 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,733,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
This was the case 40 years ago.

I just learned something new. I primarily went to commuter colleges after the Marine Corps, so I assumed that college dorms were also not integrated. We had good strong rules in the Marine Corps. If you wanted to find trouble, you had to really try to actively go find it. Some did, of course, but the rules were designed to keep 17 and 18 year old young people on the right path to not share a residence floor with people of the opposite gender, unsupervised, until we could at least get our bearings and figure out what we wanted to do in life. Of course, there were always other issues, but we at least didn't have that to deal with. Drinking alcohol was a part of the culture.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:09 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
They get to live their own lives, but it’s culturally appropriate to stay under the mother birds wings until marriage. The secular world is a foreign awful place to a G-d fearing Jew, and our sages of blessed memory did not intend for Yidden to interact with goyim.
During the Golden Age in muslim Spain, distinguished observant Jews (some of whom are authorities) held positions in royal courts and wrote poems that SEEM to indicate intimate familiarity with the social customs of their muslim neighbors (possibly gained only from reading the poems of the gentiles neighbors, but I doubt it)

Your view of isolation is ahistorical, at least for much of the middle ages in the muslim world. Not sure we quite have full documentation on the period of Chazal - but note Chazal was dealing with an oppressive Roman state.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 AM

I find very little value in modern science, and yes, the idea that a Jew descended from a monkey is just plain bizarre and quite insulting. The Torah says we were created by Hashem, and I have found no reason to date to believe Hashem lies to us. The college campuses are just disseminating these types of lies.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
I find very little value in modern science, and yes, the idea that a Jew descended from a monkey is just plain bizarre and quite insulting. The Torah says we were created by Hashem, and I have found no reason to date to believe Hashem lies to us. The college campuses are just disseminating these types of lies.

For one we are not descended from monkeys, but from common primate ancestors.

Also the monkey and other primates are wonderful complex creatures - believe in evolution or not, we thank Hashem for creating them.

Insulting ? Odd attitude for a frum Jew. see Pirkei Avot, chapter 3, verse 1.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:27 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Insulting ? Odd attitude for a frum Jew.

But not so odd for a fundamentalist Christian, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism