Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 04:05 PM

1,475 posts, read 478,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
A type and shadow of a thing mirrors a thing to teach a thing, for instance, I could make a case of Cain being a type and shadow of Ishmael and Esau, the first born sons. I could make a case that the temple design is a type and shadow of something else, and so the shadow teaches an evolution as it were. That is how I read the bible, that nothing is new, the same story repeats itself.
I don't view the scriptures as shadows and mirrors. If you wish to speak of shadows and mirrors, I can only respectfully point you to the serpents beguiling lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 04:14 PM

202 posts, read 42,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief scum View Post
That is not how to build, or lay out a foundation.

Once you have a level area, you start with a perfectly square corner and all measurements proceed from that point, both outwardly and then upwardly with a plumb line.
Well not really a plumb line, that would cast a shadow, he he.

We use levels, I built corners out of brick , block, and stone for 40 years. And to square up a corner you measure at a forty five degree to the opposite corner, then repeat that same process on the other two corners. So it takes four corners to square a building.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisteuo View Post
Well not really a plumb line, that would cast a shadow, he he.

We use levels, I built corners out of brick , block, and stone for 40 years. And to square up a corner you measure at a forty five degree to the opposite corner, then repeat that same process on the other two corners. So it takes four corners to square a building.
So, you agree that you don't use a shadow to lay out a foundation. And you have to start with the first corner and all measurements proceed from there. It takes four corners starting with the first.

I am not a carpenter by trade, but in building with lumber, I used a plumb line. A plumb line gives a vertical and upright check, truing it up, that is why I wrote that.

I restore old cars by trade. So, I have a lot of truing up to do on many angles.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:32 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
I don't view the scriptures as shadows and mirrors. If you wish to speak of shadows and mirrors, I can only respectfully point you to the serpents beguiling lie.
What lie? That I shall surely not die?

Old 10-27-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
So, you agree that you don't use a shadow to lay out a foundation. And you have to start with the first corner and all measurements proceed from there. It takes four corners starting with the first.

I am not a carpenter by trade, but in building with lumber, I used a plumb line. A plumb line gives a vertical and upright check, truing it up, that is why I wrote that.

I restore old cars by trade. So, I have a lot of truing up to do on many angles.
Well we have Lazer transits now. It shoots a red beam for horizontal and vertical perfection. It sits and spins in the center of the building, shooting a level Lazer beam to all four corners at the same time.

As for a shadow, it's only gives a glimpse of the thing being shadowed. Shadows in and of themselves aren't meant to be built on, but they can give valadation to to material we use.

I never said anything about building on shadows.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
What lie? That I shall surely not die?
The shadow he cast over God's word, seeking to blot it out, while claiming himself to be the light, and the mirror in telling her that in following his word she would be like God.

The serpent used shadows and mirrors. It was all one big beguiling lie.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I never said anything about building on shadows.
It all started in a response I gave to Hannibal Flavious.

Old 10-27-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
It all started in a response I gave to Hannibal Flavious.
Okay, I digress.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:04 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,870,880 times
Quote:
I would like to ask the group a question about Psalm 23.

My Bible teacher taught the OT in great detail. When he taught on the verse where David says ," you anoint my head with oil" , he said some things about it .

He said that in the Hebrew, it is translated," you make my head fat with oil."

He also said that this state of fatness was a complementary term used in that day. Basically, a spiritual fat head. The fatness of the oil that represents the Spirit of God.

If anyone has any information on this I would appreciate it.

I don't know if this might be something that you're looking for, but there is a Hebrew name -- Yitzhar -- that means "pure oil," and it's also a complimentary poetic name applied to a Jewish scholar or an honorable person. My source is Yisraeli author Smadar Shir Sidi.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I don't know if this might be something that you're looking for, but there is a Hebrew name -- Yitzhar -- that means "pure oil," and it's also a complimentary poetic name applied to a Jewish scholar or an honorable person. My source is Yisraeli author Smadar Shir Sidi.
Thanks Rachel, that's the first piece of information that points in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism