Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2022, 09:58 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
Right - so in the absence of the #4 issue, I don't see how #1 can be persuasive halachically. Numbers 2-4, each on its own, would be a valid argument.
Well now I am wondering if the halacha can be used as legal argument in the overturning of Roe Vs. Wade for Jewish women living in states where the halacha would permit abortion but the state law won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2022, 12:39 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,265,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well now I am wondering if the halacha can be used as legal argument in the overturning of Roe Vs. Wade for Jewish women living in states where the halacha would permit abortion but the state law won't.
I'm hoping that more major Jewish organizations write supportive briefs for cases like the challenge in Florida.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:22 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,876,878 times
Quote:
Those states are most likely going to have an evangelical Christian majority. Not only will they not take Halacha into consideration, I would not be surprised if any Jewish push for abortion rights results in an antisemitic backlash with the old blood libel accusations.

I know this sounds horrific and there will be those who will say: "Impossible! That will never happen in America!" Well, I've been seeing a lot of things happening in America lately that I never thought would happen. I wouldn't get complacent (and I'm not saying that you are, I'm just talking about people in general). I don't view evangelicals as our "special friends" -- despite their enthusiasm for the Holy Land.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-24-2022 at 01:43 PM..

Old 06-24-2022, 02:46 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I don't view evangelicals as our "special friends" -- despite their enthusiasm for the Holy Land.
We are less than 2% of the population so we take our allies where we find them, for however long we have them and on what issues we agree. The rest of this discussion will wait.

Old 06-24-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
We are less than 2% of the population so we take our allies where we find them, for however long we have them and on what issues we agree. The rest of this discussion will wait.
What I am saying is that some people whom you comfortably think of as your allies on one day can turn on you the next day. Sorry to sound so cynical, but there's a history with the more fervently zealous types in Christianity, and I don't think that we should ever forget it.

Old 06-25-2022, 07:53 PM

Quote:
What I am saying is that some people whom you comfortably think of as your allies on one day can turn on you the next day. Sorry to sound so cynical, but there's a history with the more fervently zealous types in Christianity, and I don't think that we should ever forget it.
I totally agree and could not have said it better. That's why Israel has to "ally" with UAE, Bahrain, Sudan, Morocco, and even KSA. Does anyone think they'll be to Israel what Canada, Great Britain and, yes, Israel are to the U.S.? I think of them more like my doubles' partner in tennis this morning; may be on the other side tomorrow morning.

Old 06-25-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
I totally agree and could not have said it better. That's why Israel has to "ally" with UAE, Bahrain, Sudan, Morocco, and even KSA. Does anyone think they'll be to Israel what Canada, Great Britain and, yes, Israel are to the U.S.? I think of them more like my doubles' partner in tennis this morning; may be on the other side tomorrow morning.
I remember when Pruzhany, OBM, used to post about his experiences with his Arab clients when he was in Israel. If I remember correctly, he used to say that those Arabs got along better with the Jews than did the evangelistic Christians (both American and European) over there.

Chava travels to Israel a lot. @Chava: What do you think of jbusa's question?

Old 06-26-2022, 05:13 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Quote:
I remember when Pruzhany, OBM, used to post about his experiences with his Arab clients when he was in Israel. If I remember correctly, he used to say that those Arabs got along better with the Jews than did the evangelistic Christians (both American and European) over there.

Chava travels to Israel a lot. @Chava: What do you think of jbusa's question?
Truth be told my last visit to Israel was 3 years ago before COVID19. But I have lived in Israel and maintain regular contact with some of my Israeli friends. Also my elderly father lives in Israel and I have immediate family members that travel to Israel at least once a year.

Having said/written the above, Israel has been seeking for years to have diplomatic and other ties with its neighbors and other countries in its region. Obviously with the idea of Iran getting closer to becoming a nuclear nation, some of its other neighbors (besides Israel) are worried about this possibility. So it makes sense that they would want a regional ally like Israel against potential Iranian agression. Also countries like Morocco or Sudan that don't really have many Palestinian refugees at their borders (or within the countries) understand the economic benefits of a relationship with Israel. As you may know Israel has brought technological and economic benefits to many African countries (which Sudan for sure could use).

I agree that I can't really see these relationships as the same ones Israel maintains with USA or even Canada. As for Great Britain, one needs to remember the role England played in creating the basis for the current Israeli-Palestinian Arab conflict.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I agree that I can't really see these relationships as the same ones Israel maintains with USA or even Canada. As for Great Britain, one needs to remember the role England played in creating the basis for the current Israeli-Palestinian Arab conflict.
Thanks for answering. I wasn't sure that Israel had formal diplomatic ties with Canada or Britain. I thought I heard, in September 1997, that Canada suspended or broke relations over Mossad's use of Canadian passports to assassinate a terrorist.

Old 06-26-2022, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks for answering. I wasn't sure that Israel had formal diplomatic ties with Canada or Britain. I thought I heard, in September 1997, that Canada suspended or broke relations over Mossad's use of Canadian passports to assassinate a terrorist.
Canada should have caught the terrorist, and extradited him to Israel.

Edited to add: Was this the incident?
"Israeli Shopping Mall Bombing, September 4, 1997: Three suicide bombers of HAMAS detonated bombs in the Ben Yehuda shopping mall in Jerusalem, killing eight persons, including the bombers, and wounding nearly 200 others. A dual U.S./Israeli citizen was among the dead, and 7 U.S. citizens were wounded."
Quoted from https://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/ho/pubs/fs/5902.htm

On the topic of Halacha... Rosends, I know that the non-Jewish Canadians aren't bound by Halacha, but what does Halacha say about those of us living in the Diaspora and what our responsibility is in bringing a murderer to justice?

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 06-26-2022 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism