Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2022, 05:30 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The year on the Jewish calendar is 5782 and it will be 5782 for a couple more weeks.

One item of note is that 5782 is a Shmitah year, a seventh year of the 7 year cycle. The laws of the 7th year relate mostly to agriculture and, these days, just to agriculture in Israel (as a rabbinic decree).

For info on Shmitah, check here.

There is one other important area related to the Shmitah year -- the nullifying of loans. In an effort to get around the nullification (which inspired people to stop giving loans, knowing they would be nullified and never collected), Hillel the elder instituted a rabbinic work around, allowing people to transfer their loans to the court, as court based loans are not nullified.

The document which transfers the ownership of the loan is called a prozbul.

Many local communities are encouraging people to contact their synagogues to take this final opportunity to set up a prozbul, or at least, they are encouraging people to attend classes to learn about this wrinkle in Jewish law.
Bankruptcy law is based, in large part, on this practice of allowing a new start. The secular equivalent of the prozbul is a discharge of debts for those who need it, but not for all. The interval between a discharge and the filing of a new case that can result in a discharge, prior to October 19, 2005 was seven years. This was not a coincidence. In a legislative overhall that can only be described as driven by meanness, that interval was raised to eight years. The purpose of bankruptcy law "has been again and again emphasized by the courts as being of public, as well as private, interest, in that it gives to the honest but unfortunate debtor who surrenders for distribution the property which he owns at the time of bankruptcy a new opportunity in life and a clear field for future effort, unhampered by the pressure and discouragement of preexisting debt." Local Loan Co. v. Hunt, 292 U.S. 234292 U.S. 234, 244. (1934).

Of course, as the sages of old recognized, this had to be restricted, not automatic and universal. I often lead Torah Study when the appropriate parshiot occurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2022, 08:15 AM

43,689 posts, read 44,435,568 times
This article is related to Halacha and modesty for women.

https://www.ynetnews.com/article/hjly6abwj

Any thoughts on this?

Old 09-16-2022, 01:35 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,880,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This article is related to Halacha and modesty for women.

https://www.ynetnews.com/article/hjly6abwj

Any thoughts on this?
Sounds like a joke, to me. I personally don't see anything immodest in a woman wearing sandals, but there are probably (to each their own) Haredim somewhere who may think otherwise. I don't see how fake toes would be acceptable, in such a case. Sounds like a very silly (and perhaps even hateful) joke, to me.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Sounds like a joke, to me. I personally don't see anything immodest in a woman wearing sandals, but there are probably (to each their own) Haredim somewhere who may think otherwise. I don't see how fake toes would be acceptable, in such a case. Sounds like a very silly (and perhaps even hateful) joke, to me.
I agree a woman wearing sandals doesn't sound immodest to the average modern thinking Orthodox Jew. But the more Ultra-Orthodox Jewish women wear stockings even in the summer. So I assume they wouldn't agree on this.

Old 09-17-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Beginning on the 1st of Elul (this past Saturday night) we add psalm 27 after evening and morning prayers (we say it until the end of Sukkot) and in the mornings, we blow the shofar at the end of morning services. We don't see study as in a vacuum. We aren't learning just to learn, but we are showing that the point of learning is to put what we learn into effect and change our behavior.

We have begun the high holiday season. Instead of waiting until the new year (Rosh Hashana) to repent, or the 10 days of repentance or Yom Kippur, we should be beginning now, and every day to address our behavior and attitudes and try to increase of awareness of self and our obligation to God and our fellow people. As we say, The King is in the Field.
Is there any tradition during Shabbat in the month of Elul of wearing white to the synagogue services? I am aware of such a tradition (for men) during the High Holidays (Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur).

Old 09-17-2022, 06:01 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,267,906 times
Quote:
Is there any tradition during Shabbat in the month of Elul of wearing white to the synagogue services? I am aware of such a tradition (for men) during the High Holidays (Rosh Hashana & Yom Kippur).
I have heard of white during the high holidays and I guess the case could be made that since the period of judgment extends until the end of Sukkot, maybe some wear while for that period as well.

Old 09-17-2022, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I have heard of white during the high holidays and I guess the case could be made that since the period of judgment extends until the end of Sukkot, maybe some wear while for that period as well.
At our Selichot service this evening (we don't do the traditional davening past midnight until dawn thing, which is why I'm home now and typing this), our rabbi was wearing white. No one else in the congregation wore white, though.

Quote:
I agree a woman wearing sandals doesn't sound immodest to the average modern thinking Orthodox Jew. But the more Ultra-Orthodox Jewish women wear stockings even in the summer. So I assume they wouldn't agree on this.
I thought it was a joke and possibly a parody on Orthodox married women covering their natural hair with a wig. That's why I thought it might have been a bit hateful, making fun of Orthodox tradition.

Last edited by Rachel NewYork; 09-18-2022 at 03:14 AM..

Old 09-18-2022, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Well I saw a man this past Shabbat wearing completely white (while I was taking a morning walk) and he had tzitzit showing. So I wondering why he was doing so as Rosh Hashana is a week from tonight. I don't think he was a rabbi (as he wearing a white basecap, a white dress shirt, white pants and white shoes but no suit).

Old 09-18-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Well I saw a man this past Shabbat wearing completely white (while I was taking a morning walk) and he had tzitzit showing. So I wondering why he was doing so as Rosh Hashana is a week from tonight. I don't think he was a rabbi (as he wearing a white basecap, a white dress shirt, white pants and white shoes but no suit).
"Wearing White Shabbat Garments
The Holy Ari, certainly the greatest Kabbalist of the last millennium, was very particular in insisting that we wear only (or mostly) white Shabbat clothes... In the past, many entire communities, particularly those of Sephardic Kabbalists and Chassidim (mainly disciples of the Seer of Lublin) would wear only white on Shabbat. Today, some still do..."

Quoted from this link: Kabbalistic Shabbat Customs

Old 09-19-2022, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
"Wearing White Shabbat Garments
The Holy Ari, certainly the greatest Kabbalist of the last millennium, was very particular in insisting that we wear only (or mostly) white Shabbat clothes... In the past, many entire communities, particularly those of Sephardic Kabbalists and Chassidim (mainly disciples of the Seer of Lublin) would wear only white on Shabbat. Today, some still do..."

Quoted from this link: Kabbalistic Shabbat Customs
Thanks for sharing this information. This guy was not Hassidic but possibly a Sephardic Kabbalist?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism