Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2022, 07:47 AM

2,675 posts, read 1,263,317 times

Advertisements

It seems that a large part of Judaism is explaining Judaism to others. Some people have trouble understanding that their perspective is a centrist one but that others exist which don't have their focus at the center.

Here are some social-media instances which might help point that out:

www.gregcal.com
https://www.tiktok.com/@spacevinci/v...50739803688235

I saw the tik tok through https://www.facebook.com/JewWhoHasItAll
but that facebook identity has a lot of other stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 11:23 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,871,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
It seems that a large part of Judaism is explaining Judaism to others. Some people have trouble understanding that their perspective is a centrist one but that others exist which don't have their focus at the center.

Here are some social-media instances which might help point that out:

www.gregcal.com
https://www.tiktok.com/@spacevinci/v...50739803688235

I saw the tik tok through https://www.facebook.com/JewWhoHasItAll
but that facebook identity has a lot of other stuff
Her tweets are hilarious!

https://babka.social/@jewwhohasitall/109388024769902194

Wishing all our Jewish and non-Jewish friends a very happy Yom Hodu! ("Turkey Day")

Old 11-24-2022, 11:06 AM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
That was a very funny video. I often hear the "it's so sad that you don't celebrate Christmas" as if we are deprived. I also hear a lot of people using the euphonism "the holidays." "This would be nice to wear during the holidays." I always reply "what holiday?" Also the "Christmas is not a religious holiday" nonsense. Last year, I almost lost a friendship with a non-Jew when we got into an argument over decorating a community Christmas tree. I think a lot of older people have this attitude that Christmas is very universal, while younger people are more open-minded and have more understanding of multicultural holidays and celebrations.

Old 11-30-2022, 11:12 AM

9,326 posts, read 12,997,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
That was a very funny video. I often hear the "it's so sad that you don't celebrate Christmas" as if we are deprived.
Oh yes. It’s a rather silly notion, although, to add ironies upon ironies, many of the modern commercialized trappings that people associate with Christmas were created by Jews (including most of the iconic 20th-century Christmas songs and even Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer).

Quote:
I also hear a lot of people using the euphonism "the holidays." "This would be nice to wear during the holidays." I always reply "what holiday?"
This, I don’t have a problem with. In fact, I think it invites people to discuss how they approach their respective holiday traditions without necessarily favoring one over the other.

Quote:
Also the "Christmas is not a religious holiday" nonsense. Last year, I almost lost a friendship with a non-Jew when we got into an argument over decorating a community Christmas tree.
Oh, for sure. Certainly, not everyone approaches Christmas in a religious matter, but it is, at the end of the day, a fundamentally religious holiday (which I’ve observed on this forum before is the one thing Evangelical Christians and Jews of most any denomination agree on).

Having a community Christmas tree is fine as long as everyone can agree that if Christmas and Christmas trees aren’t ubiquitous with religion, then the same goes for Chanukah and menorahs, and any number of other holiday traditions practiced by people of non-Christian faith backgrounds (whether or not they do so in a religiously observant fashion).

If a person has no qualms with erecting a Christmas tree on public property but feels uneasy about placing a Chanukah menorah on the same property, they’re stupid, ignorant, and/or anti-Semitic.

Quote:
I think a lot of older people have this attitude that Christmas is very universal, while younger people are more open-minded and have more understanding of multicultural holidays and celebrations.
I think this is fair to say. Being someone who does not look Jewish in terms of garb of physical features, people will sometimes wish me a Merry Christmas, and I take no issue with that if they’re doing so in a friendly way, as opposed to in obnoxious edge-lord fashion in opposition to the (nonexistent) “War on Christmas.”

I think that in the absence of personal knowledge of what individual people believe (or when addressing a potentially or likely mixed crowd), saying Happy Holidays is a more inclusive and respectful way to go.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:46 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Like in the video, I realize that when people refer to "the holidays," they are referring to Christmas and New Year's. When I tell ask them what holiday (are you referring to), i am just trying to bust their chops, knowing full well what they mean. But some very innocently reply what they mean and it's never "Chanukah." It could be, but the ones who refer to it as "the holidays" do not include Chanukah. When someone wishes someone else "have a happy holiday" that usually does include Chanukah and Kwanza. But it is subjective. It depends on who is speaking.

In general, I find that many (but not all, of course) Christians are arrogant because they just presume that Everyone celebrates Christmas. In New York City, most people are exposed to many different religions so there is less of this type of attitude there. I'm sure in Philly and the suburbs, it's the same. However, in other locations, especially in the middle of the country or in the southeast, this type of arrogance prevails, again as I mentioned before-especially people in the older generation.

In my immediate area, demographics have changed. When I first moved here, in my heavily Catholic neighborhood, almost every home had Christmas decorations. With the influx of Muslims and Asians, there is approximately 50 percent fewer homes with Christmas lights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism