Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times

Advertisements

Can anybody answer a question for me?

I was reading on the Devil thread that Jews believe God has control over Satan...I think that was the idea. And that Satan can't actually do what God doesn't want him to do. Someone else said, I believe, that Satan is actually an agent of God's who is sent around to put tests in front of people. I can't say with 100% certainty that this was credited to Judaism and my memory of the other thread is failing fast, especially since it had so much information. ETA: There was also an idea that God created both good and bad and that it wasn't Adam and Eve's responsibility that there is bad in the world. Is that a basic Jewish tenet? Or was it just one specific person's theory?

I was wondering how this is reconciled with the Old Testament but didn't want to sound stupid for asking, because I'm not sure the OT and the Torah are written exactly the same way...are they?

Anyway...if they are, how do you see the serpent in the Garden of Eden? Would that mean he isn't Satan? Because the way it's written (in the OT, anyway), it seems the serpent is going totally against God's will.

This is an honest question and I'm not of some other religion hoping to discredit the Jewish faith. Actually, I'm just fascinated with this because I had always been led to believe the OT and the Torah are the same, but I've never read the Torah so I don't actually know if that's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 06:11 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,098,001 times
I'm not Jewish but I found this:

Torah
Level: Basic

The word "Torah" is a tricky one, because it can mean different things in different contexts. In its most limited sense, "Torah" refers to the Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. But the word "torah" can also be used to refer to the entire Jewish bible (the body of scripture known to non-Jews as the Old Testament and to Jews as the Tanakh or Written Torah), or in its broadest sense, to the whole body of Jewish law and teachings

This and more explanations are found at Judaism 101:
http://www.jewfaq.org/torah.htm

Old 05-17-2007, 06:30 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
As the only practicing Jew on here (as far as I know), I guess I should attempt to answer your question... but unfortunately I'm far from a "scholar", so I don't know how well I could! I do know that the Torah is the first five books of the Hebrew Bible, or Old Testament as Christians refer to it (we don't use that term, since it implies acceptance of the "new" Bible) - so I suppose it would be the same text, but in the original Hebrew language. Here are some good sources on this question, which will answer better than I can.

http://judaism.about.com/library/3_a...c/bl_torah.htm
http://www.christianchallenge.org/as...estament.shtml
(was also going to post the jewishfaq link, but just saw that it's been posted in the time I was writing this answer)

As for your question about the Devil, we're actually kind of vague & confusing on that one - LOL. But we do not believe in Satan or a Devil, at least not in the sense that Christians do... the serpent represented general temptation, and the knowledge that all humans are capable of sin. So it's more of a philosophy than an actual representation or "evil being". Here's a thorough article on that, which probably contradicts some of what I just said (which was simply taken from my rusty memories!)

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/vi...d=270&letter=S

P.S. I had to read from the Torah for my Bat-Mitzvah, and boy was that a challenge! Even for somebody like myself who reads Hebrew proficiently, that is quite a task.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Thanks very much! Interesting stuff!

gizmo, I get a visual of a 13-year-old boy standing there in front of 300 of his closest relatives, expected to deliver his Hebrew with perfection, LOL. Poor thing, but I'll bet you did awesome.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Thanks very much! Interesting stuff!

gizmo, I get a visual of a 13-year-old boy standing there in front of 300 of his closest relatives, expected to deliver his Hebrew with perfection, LOL. Poor thing, but I'll bet you did awesome.
LOL... visual is about right, except for the fact that I was a 13 year-old girl. It was a bit scary, but that's all part of the deal! And for the boys, it's also a requirement to have your voice crack right in the middle - I swear that's why they make you do it at 13.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:16 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... visual is about right, except for the fact that I was a 13 year-old girl. It was a bit scary, but that's all part of the deal! And for the boys, it's also a requirement to have your voice crack right in the middle - I swear that's why they make you do it at 13.
Oh I have been to many Bat-Mitzvah and Bar-Mitzvah ceremonies....I always felt so bad for my friends that had to do speak in Hebrew...when they did not do it accept at Hebrew school, quite nerve racking I'm sure. But I have to say those were some of the best parties I had been to at that age...always a great time.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Oh I have been to many Bat-Mitzvah and Bar-Mitzvah ceremonies....I always felt so bad for my friends that had to do speak in Hebrew...when they did not do it accept at Hebrew school, quite nerve racking I'm sure. But I have to say those were some of the best parties I had been to at that age...always a great time.
Yes, the Jews do know how to party! My Bat-Mitzvah was probably more nerve-wracking than some, since our Temple actually made us lead the WHOLE service - rather than just reading Torah & Haftorah portions, like most Synagogues. I did stay fairly calm, considering...

And my party was great, I must say, but my brother's was probably the coolest... we rented an entire athletic club, and had a night-time sports party. The boys & men were in heaven!

Old 05-18-2007, 08:44 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That is sooooo completely interesting to me

I had NO idea that girls partook in Bah mitzvas Facinating
I always thought it was a "rite of passage"for men
learn somethin new everyday

Old 05-18-2007, 12:25 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,211,680 times
I have questions for Jewsih people so i really hope Gizmo comes back to read

Do reformed Jews still have 2 separate Kitchens?
(I didn't say some of them wouldn't be trivial)

Why would Jewish people use the Bible as a guide if the new testament goes against their practice of who the Messiah is, would the information you need be in the Old testament alone and is the OT the same as the Torah?

What happened to the 23 other books spoken of in the OT
EG= Book of the Wars of the Lord--Numbers 21:14-15
Book of Jasher II Samuel 1:18
aren't these required readings in addition to the Torah and therefore seeing as the OT is the same as the Torah wouldn't it be required reading for Christians as well?

I am humbly asking these questions for knowledge
not to be argumentative in any sort
please inform me if what I ask is inappropriate

Old 05-18-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
That is sooooo completely interesting to me

I had NO idea that girls partook in Bah mitzvas Facinating
I always thought it was a "rite of passage"for men
learn somethin new everyday
In more traditional sects, and "back in the day", it was a ceremony reserved for boys... then Reform & some Conservative synagogues adopted the Bat-Mitzvah for girls, but it was slow to catch on until the '50s or so. My mother's temple didn't have them when she was 13, which is something she's always been unhappy about. Oh, and in case you don't know, "Bat" means daughter (of the commandments) and "Bar" means son. Here's some interesting reading on this topic: http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/.../firstbat.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism