Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 11:52 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times

Advertisements

Ok MAD I'm going to keep buggin' you until you say STOP

Can you tell me what shows on the 57 and 63 aerials for the 4400-4900 blocks of S Union?

I suspect it is vacant land, perhaps the remnants of a farm.

Also, could you repost or DM the excellent research Index you and Beloved put together way back when for both years?

TIA

PS Anyone know a bookstore where I might find the Rand McNally Street Guide for KC? It looks like RM might have discontinued updating this publication, and the only ones I could find are 2008 editions at exorbitant prices on Amazon. No luck on ebay nor at Barnes Noble on Plaza or its other local locations.

The Street Guide is the spiral softbound form that breaks the area down into sections. Much easier to read than a fold out map. Most have probably seen it or other cities before. The last version or earlier would suffice as I want it for a reference guide in my library. Again, TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 12:43 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,257,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Yes, thank you. I'm also interested in the RSD north boundary. After you posted I had an Eureka Moment and thought to check the District site, which has a color coded map. It's hard for me to read even after enlarging the map (old age?) but it looks like it reaches up to 35th.

Also the NW and NE portions within the district.

https://www.raytownschools.org/domain/54

The ISD boundaries map, if that helps

https://www.isdschools.org/boundary-maps/

MAD. would you be able to read these and give me the (approximate or specific) RSD boundaries that intrude into Independence? Much obliged

It looks to me either 36th or 35th, Sterling to the west, and along US 40 At least those are the portions that are clear to me. I am presuming the relevant boundaries haven't changed since 1963 (or 1956) as I can't think of a reason why either district would be interested in surrendering or adopting these portions.

TIA

No bets on this but try Kansas City Star. Sometimes newspapers have such files. The old City Directories, also. Not always. Depends on their interests in holding old records. Independence Library, I think it was, that I found old City Directories. May have been K C library but I think it was Independence. Try the genealogical library on Lees Summit Road.

Or try map-making companies. Large and old companies.

Just some thoughts

Old 01-19-2020, 02:08 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
As promised here are both 1957 and 1963 aerial photo indexes. I have redone them as PDF files.
Quote:

Can you tell me what shows on the 57 and 63 aerials for the 4400-4900 blocks of S Union?

Also, could you repost or DM the excellent research Index you and Beloved put together way back when for both years?

TIA

PS Anyone know a bookstore where I might find the Rand McNally Street Guide for KC? It looks like RM might have discontinued updating this publication, and the only ones I could find are 2008 editions at exorbitant prices on Amazon. No luck on ebay nor at Barnes Noble on Plaza or its other local locations.

The Street Guide is the spiral softbound form that breaks the area down into sections. Much easier to read than a fold out map. Most have probably seen it or other cities before. The last version or earlier would suffice as I want it for a reference guide in my library. Again, TIA

Click on the blue arrow in the quote above to find the decoders. For 1957 you need to view DL-4T-188.
For 1963 view DL-2DD-096.

For the map book I suggest you consider Gallup Map Co. They used to print a similar book on KC, they may have some old copies available for purchase.
You can reach them at 816-842-1994, or by email with pat@gallupmap.com
Our address is: Gallup Map Company
1733 Main St.
Kansas City, Missouri

Old 01-20-2020, 07:18 PM

267 posts, read 158,452 times
Quote:

TIA

MRG: Is the Rand McNally Kansas City & Vicinity "Streetfinder" what you are looking for? I have one. Don't see a year on it, but the population figures is lists are for 1990.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
MRG: Is the Rand McNally Kansas City & Vicinity "Streetfinder" what you are looking for? I have one. Don't see a year on it, but the population figures is lists are for 1990.
Hi Yes it is . . . The date is not so relevant as I'd use it to look up old hoods

Old 01-30-2020, 10:25 AM

How can I get it to you?

Old 01-31-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
How can I get it to you?
Sent you a DM. Thanks so much!

Old 01-31-2020, 09:16 PM

Changing the subject . . . anyone else watching Ken Burns' "Country Music" series on PBS?

Really good, informative, with lots of old video of course.

Episode 4 covered 1953 to 1963 and as I suspected, would end with the tragic plane crash that killed the great Patsy Cline and two other Opry members.

We covered this on an earlier thread, how a fatal car crash at 40 and Sterling started this incredible chain of events that resulted in the deaths of these three, plus another Opry member driving to her funeral.

The episode did mention DJ "Cowboy" Jack McCall and that he was killed in an accident, which was the first link in the chain. I believe I had looked him up on Polk's before and he lived on the east side of Sterling around 35th or so, so it's likely he was headed to or fro work at the Mall when this happened.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:13 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Changing the subject . . . anyone else watching Ken Burns' "Country Music" series on PBS?

Really good, informative, with lots of old video of course.

Episode 4 covered 1953 to 1963 and as I suspected, would end with the tragic plane crash that killed the great Patsy Cline and two other Opry members.

We covered this on an earlier thread, how a fatal car crash at 40 and Sterling started this incredible chain of events that resulted in the deaths of these three, plus another Opry member driving to her funeral.

The episode did mention DJ "Cowboy" Jack McCall and that he was killed in an accident, which was the first link in the chain. I believe I had looked him up on Polk's before and he lived on the east side of Sterling around 35th or so, so it's likely he was headed to or fro work at the Mall when this happened.

It was Cactus Jack McCall. Here are parts of the pertinent thread...

Quote:
I just saw a blurb on "lost-too-early" music stars with Patsy Cline as the lead-in. About a year ago I saw her video of "Crazy" which ended with the Nashville Banner's huge headlines of her death. Out of curiosity I started reading about the circumstances and was amazed to learn the incredible sequence of events that began with a radio station in the basement of the Blue Ridge Mall.

Anyone else familiar with this?
Quote:
There was the basement corridor that I think connected with Jones Store and housed Mall offices and a radio station. The station had a big picture window where passers-by could view the DJ

In 1963 Cactus Jack Call was a well-known C&W DJ who worked at the station. Presumably on his way to or from work, he was killed in a collision with a transport truck at Sterling & 40 Hiway, leaving a wife and
and child(ren).

Someone decided to do a benefit show for his family and Patsy Cline and others agreed to perform (including George Jones and Dottie West). Bad weather was messing with schedules and the plane trip to Nashville eventually included not just her, her manager, but also Opry stars Hawkshaw Hawkins and Cowboy Copas The plane crashed in Camden, TN killing all aboard.

Ironically, a third accident followed. Another Opry star, Jack Anglin, died in a car wreck on the way to Patsy's funeral.

Cactus Jack Call is buried in Mt Washington Cemetery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Time for some clarifying research results! A trip to the library allowed me to view the newspaper article about his death. He did indeed die as a result of injuries received when he was thrown from his car due to impact with a transport truck. He was taken to the San, then transferred to St. Joseph Hospital where he died the next day.

At the time he was employed by KCMK-FM. Polk's showed that station at 922 E Linwood Blvd in KC. Cactus Jack had worked at KANS a short time before his death. He died January 25, 1963. On November 12, 1962 KANS was changed by its new owner from C & W to religious music and programming and changed its callsign to KCCV. That probably explains why Jack moved on to another station. A 1960 radio station directory showed him as program director for KANS. The KANS and then KCCV studio was listed by Polk's in the Blue Ridge Mall.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:25 PM

Hot damm!

chiefs win! Chiefs win!!! Chiefs win!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City