Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 06:18 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

[quote=MRG Dallas;58058834]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The tracks were long gone, but the ROW existed for years.[/QUOTE

So those tracks paralleled US 24 west for . . . to at least the Sheffield Steel Plant I'm guessing?

You said Downtown, so presumably a bridge over the Blue R. and further west to KCMO

By definition an "Air Line" railroad was supposed to take a straight path, common to the expression "as the crow flies". However, that definition was more of a marketing gimmick than anything close to truth. The KC-Indep line was very curvy. From White Oak & Osage it ran NNW into what is now McCoy Park, entering the park near Spring & College, exiting just north of Delaware and St. Charles. It stayed south of US 24, going under North River, crossing just south of today's A Little BBQ Joint, and continued SW under West College in that portion that runs NW towards Forest. The RR crossed Forest at College Terrace, running through the water department property then curving west to pass behind the old lumber yard on Truman Road. It crossed Sterling just north of Truman, then angled NW into Fairmount, crossing 24 Hiway and running behind the businesses on the north side. From there it paralleled the Missouri Pacific (now Union Pacific) to the Rock Creek Junction.

There was a split in the line just east of Northern by the old roller rink, which fed a branch that ran up into Sugar Creek and the refinery, just west of Sterling. At one time that branch tied into the Santa Fe Line that still runs across the north side of SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 06:51 PM

267 posts, read 158,452 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;58060182]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

By definition an "Air Line" railroad was supposed to take a straight path, common to the expression "as the crow flies". However, that definition was more of a marketing gimmick than anything close to truth. The KC-Indep line was very curvy. From White Oak & Osage it ran NNW into what is now McCoy Park, entering the park near Spring & College, exiting just north of Delaware and St. Charles. It stayed south of US 24, going under North River, crossing just south of today's A Little BBQ Joint, and continued SW under West College in that portion that runs NW towards Forest. The RR crossed Forest at College Terrace, running through the water department property then curving west to pass behind the old lumber yard on Truman Road. It crossed Sterling just north of Truman, then angled NW into Fairmount, crossing 24 Hiway and running behind the businesses on the north side. From there it paralleled the Missouri Pacific (now Union Pacific) to the Rock Creek Junction.

There was a split in the line just east of Northern by the old roller rink, which fed a branch that ran up into Sugar Creek and the refinery, just west of Sterling. At one time that branch tied into the Santa Fe Line that still runs across the north side of SC.
Mad, you are exactly right with this info. You beat me to posting it!
When I was a 'bit' younger, I used to play under the bridge where the line went under N. River. A great place to throw rocks at the numerous empty beer cans!

Old 05-08-2020, 07:48 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
[quote=dmouse;58060372]
Quote:

When I was a 'bit' younger, I used to play under the bridge where the line went under N. River. A great place to throw rocks at the numerous empty beer cans!
Crossed that bridge MANY times, to and from 24 Hiway SC. As soon as MAD mentioned it, I remembered

A better place to throw rocks was from City Block. US 24 was downhill there and there was no security and plenty of places to hide and creep back "home" if someone dared investigate the scene of the crimes

Less of a guilt trip in the winter time with mere snowballs

Old 05-09-2020, 07:59 AM

[quote=dmouse;58060372]
Quote:

So we played in the same area at different times.

Somewhere I have a photo I took when I was about 12 of the old RR cut under River. You wouldn't find it interesting, as it doesn't show the bridge, the tracks, or the roadbed. I was concentrating on the trash covering the embankment for an assignment on pollution.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:28 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;58060182]
Quote:

Just some FYIs for anyone interested, whilst I nurse my First Ever Case of Poison Ivy

How did I avoid that as a kid? My playmates caught it but I didn't, so I was thinking I wasn't allergic

B-G Rolladium 733 Northern (Still there, EC Kraus Winemaking supplies)

"The Olde Lumber Yard" Geo W ULTCH Lumber Co 11432 Truman Rd (Now Chenal Thrift Store along with GR Interiors)

Probably related "Cash Lumber Outlet" 11322 Truman Rd

Other lumberyards 1961

DH CRICK Lumber Co Inc 1304 W Elm @ Lexington "Quality First" CL 2-4300 (note 7 digit exchange by 1961 or earlier) (Now Bear Creek Bronze)

HARRIMAN Lumber & Coal Co 9900 US 24 Fairmount Station KC, Mo. "We Teach Your Dollars to Have More Cents" (Not sure what, if anything, is there now MAD?)

WILSON Lumber Co 120 S Liberty

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 05-10-2020 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 10:33 AM

[quote=MRG Dallas;58074429]
Quote:

HARRIMAN Lumber & Coal Co 9900 US 24 Fairmount Station KC, Mo. "We Teach Your Dollars to Have More Cents" (Not sure what, if anything, is there now MAD?)

The last time I was down that way 'twas an empty lot. The lumber yard had a rather spectacular fire back in the 1979-81 era. I recall watching it from a good distance.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:50 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;58080636]
Quote:
and

The last time I was down that way 'twas an empty lot. The lumber yard had a rather spectacular fire back in the 1979-81 era. I recall watching it from a good distance.
Seems like alot of fires took down many structures

I could've sworn I witnessed a fire on or about the Main/Maple area between 1962 1965 (based on the people I was with) but darn if I can find it. I recall my view being from the north Maple side near the intersection. Maybe from Woolworth's or Kresge's No. 1 of 2

Old 05-15-2020, 03:53 PM

267 posts, read 158,452 times
[quote=MRG Dallas;58083422]
Quote:

Seems like alot of fires took down many structures

I could've sworn I witnessed a fire on or about the Main/Maple area between 1962 1965 (based on the people I was with) but darn if I can find it. I recall my view being from the north Maple side near the intersection. Maybe from Woolworth's or Kresge's No. 1 of 2
The 4 fires that I recall off hand were the BIG one that destroyed McIntosh motors, the Wagner-Gates mill, and 2 on the square. One of them was (I think) Bunting hardware (near where the cinema is now) and one on Lexington next door to JCPenneys, where the Courthouse Exchange outdoor seating is now.

Got all that? Clear as a bell, eh?

Old 05-15-2020, 04:27 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times
I was going west on 150 hwy and looked to the north and I saw the House of Loyd's warehouse Swirling up and up to about 300-500 ft in the air. fire. I was a 1/2mile from it and it was a swirling multicolored torch from hell that had opened up. This was the largest building fire in the world I was told; for that year.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:11 PM

[quote=dmouse;58121322]
Quote:

The 4 fires that I recall off hand were the BIG one that destroyed McIntosh motors, the Wagner-Gates mill, and 2 on the square. One of them was (I think) Bunting hardware (near where the cinema is now) and one on Lexington next door to JCPenneys, where the Courthouse Exchange outdoor seating is now.

Got all that? Clear as a bell, eh?

How about the Goodwill fire of the early 1970s? It consumed several buildings east of the old Independence Hotel and west of Woolworth's on Maple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City