Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2023, 03:47 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
I took a video of the Independence Square in April of 2020. It's a bit shaky, but I can upload to youtube if anyone is interested in seeing. If you recall, this is right after the 'stay at home order' which was the point of me walking around and doing the video. I believe it was April 1 2020 actually.

Thanks for sharing. You could have shot the same video in the early 1980s, except more of the buildings would have been vacant!

I went to Uptown Market this morning. Even at 8 AM there was more activity around The Square than in your video. I'm glad it recovered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2023, 04:48 PM

239 posts, read 256,908 times
I would love to have seen that same video in the 1980s, or any decade for that matter!

Old 09-13-2023, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I remember most of these, as I walked this block every day as part of my paper route Sudora's Salon was my northern most customer, and I hated the smell of that place.
I grew up in the Hart Estates housing edition. The entrance point used to mostly be East 35th Street and Lee's Summit Road. In 1969, my parents bought their first house there. It had just been built, and they got to choose avocado green carpeting.

I was bused to Franklin Smith Elementary in Blue Springs until halfway through 4th grade, when William Yates Elementary was built at the edge of my neighborhood; then, we all began walking back and forth to school.

It was a quiet, safe neighborhood to grow up in at that time. There were cows behind my backyard on East 35th Terrace. They later built bigger, more expensive homes back there (Milton Estates). No more minibike riding with Bobby Burgett. That area is now chockful of big houses all the way to 39th Street.

When I drive through there, now, my old neighborhood doesn't seem as safe. There are two more housing editions squished in there, and Crackerneck has turned into a commercial hub. There's a ton of traffic all racing through my neighborhood to get from one end to the other. Shoot, we used to skateboard on my street and down Debra, safely.

Anyway, there's my background. I really came here to respond to the question about Heinz Bavarian Bakery.

My mom came here from Germany. She worked there before she was hired to work at Woolco at the corner of 23rd Street and 291 (where she became manager of Ladieswear until they closed and it became Walmart ... and then she got the job managing Ladieswear for them, too). And even after she left the bakery, we'd go up there for bread, rolls, meats, and cheese ... and of course, plenty of wonderful sweets, especially during Christmastime. We knew the family who ran the place well. They were located in the Gaslight Square at 35th Street and Noland Road. I do not remember them being on the Independence Square, though. That's over by the police station.

The Gaslight Square also had a market and a dry cleaner. It changed over the years until they replaced what was once a quaint little area with a Walmart Market and car rental place.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:38 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Welcome miriamp! We are always grateful for new voices here, sharing memories of our town. We have discussed your neighborhood years ago. Click on the blue arrow next to my name to be taken to that portion of the thread, which includes some photos.

After browsing there come back and share some more, as you will spark some discussion for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

You are correct, I think. I'm fairly certain I had posted a different view of the same location somewhere in the last 600 pages. Rather than dig back to find it, I'll show it here...

The tracks were built way back in 1879 by the Chicago & Alton Railroad. At the time of the photo they belonged to the Illinois Central Gulf.

The missing bridge had carried Lee's Summit Road over the tracks, just north of 35th St. The current bridge at that location is just a few feet west of the old. However, for many years there was no crossing there, you had to jog west on 35th to the still existing underpass by the Genealogy Library.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:43 AM

Welcome miriamp

Old 10-22-2023, 06:29 PM

68 posts, read 38,274 times
TUMS.........Official antacid of the Kansas City Chiefs!

Old 10-30-2023, 09:38 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddymouse View Post
TUMS.........Official antacid of the Kansas City Chiefs!
Was that intended to be prophetic?

Old 10-31-2023, 06:17 PM

Actually, that was my comment re: the previous weeks game. Little did I imagine that this week, Taylor S. would be absent, as would most of our offense. Oh the pain.....THE PAIN!

Old 11-10-2023, 11:38 AM

I hope everyone is geared up for Thanksgiving...already!

Old 11-10-2023, 04:38 PM

Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City