Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2013, 03:23 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Hey Doc, what can you tell us about Harry Butcher's Skating Rink? In 1926 the Policeman's and Fireman's Ball was held there.
I really don't really have any info on either the skating rink or the ball, Mad. Just what I heard from the family. Not many of that side left to fill in the blanks, I guess I need to do some digging myself. I knew of the theater, the skating rink, the car dealership, the real estate office and what later was Papa Joe's Lakes, but no time frames for any of them, except what MRG has most graciously dug up.(which I truly appreciate, by the way!) So...I guess my Dad's information on Great-grandpa's office being in the Katz building was incorrect, well... until proven otherwise, that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 03:35 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;30113536]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

I thought they had good food also. My guess would be that they went out of business because of the diminishing tourist visits to the then admission free Fort Osage.

I wonder how a drive in would do today with the new interpretive center at the fort. On my last visit, there were a lot of folks even with the admission charge.

The nearest eating place, I think, is in Buckner about six miles south.
That's very possible that that's the reason. Osage Honey must sell at other places than at that location. Might even be in stores, but I couldn't say for sure. Sibley is definitely isolated since they removed the bridge just west of there on Atherton-Sibley Road. The only way in or out of town is the bridge coming in from the south on Santa Fe. If something happens to THAT bridge, they're stuck! I suppose they could always come in by boat or helicopter, though.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:00 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
[quote=SilverDoc;30113872]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

since they removed the bridge just west of there on Atherton-Sibley Road.
Are you talking about the rickety right angle one way wood bridge across the rr tracks? If so, that was some bridge. I always liked to drive across it because it was an experience. Not so long ago, I was rediscovering Jackson County and was aiming to get to Fort Osage from that direction. I was really disappointed to see that it was gone (and that I had to turn around).

It seemed to move when you drove across it. It was really dangerous just from its design though.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:19 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;30114264]
Quote:

Are you talking about the rickety right angle one way wood bridge across the rr tracks? If so, that was some bridge. I always liked to drive across it because it was an experience. Not so long ago, I was rediscovering Jackson County and was aiming to get to Fort Osage from that direction. I was really disappointed to see that it was gone (and that I had to turn around).

It seemed to move when you drove across it. It was really dangerous just from its design though.

Yep! Drove across it many times, myself. Last few times I did, I could still make out a cousin's name emblazoned on the top rails. Funny about that old bridge was the fact that it seemed to be in just as bad a state of disrepair 30 yrs ago, as it was when they tore it down!

Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 PM

That bridge had to have been closed in a fashion similar to the closing of the south Lynn Street bridge on the edge of the business district of Independence.

The county must have figured that they would close it and see who screamed. No one apparently did.

No one screamed when the Lynn Street bridge was closed either. That one had to have closed when I was quite small.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
That bridge had to have been closed in a fashion similar to the closing of the south Lynn Street bridge on the edge of the business district of Independence.

The county must have figured that they would close it and see who screamed. No one apparently did.

No one screamed when the Lynn Street bridge was closed either. That one had to have closed when I was quite small.

Interesting! I lived at 121 1/2 east Walnut one house east of the southwest corner of Lynn and Walnut, but never knew there had been a bridge. Makes sense though, with their being less than half block of Lynn street south of Walnut, (where I would sometimes park off the street) and it continuing, on the south side of the tracks. Wouldn't pictures of that bridge be cool to have! I do however, have photos of the old Main street bridge..at least from the west side. When I lived in that house and I'd take a bath as the train would come through (right behind the house), I 'd have waves in the tube!

Old 06-21-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Interesting! I lived at 121 1/2 east Walnut one house east of the southwest corner of Lynn and Walnut, but never knew there had been a bridge. Makes sense though, with their being less than half block of Lynn street south of Walnut, (where I would sometimes park off the street) and it continuing, on the south side of the tracks. Wouldn't pictures of that bridge be cool to have! I do however, have photos of the old Main street bridge..at least from the west side. When I lived in that house and I'd take a bath as the train would come through (right behind the house), I 'd have waves in the tube!
I could not guess as to when it was torn down. I believe it was wooden all the way. I remember being disappointed, though, that they were not going to replace it. I wonder if someone were to walk around in that area they could see supports anywhere.

What I remember about the Main street bridge was that Main Cleaners, a dry cleaning facility was very near the bridge on the west side.
My mom always went there until they did something to a dress. She did not raise her voice very often but I can still recall her shouting in the phone at the proprietor.

The cleaners was in a red brick building--but there are three there and I cannot tell which building it was.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I could not guess as to when it was torn down. I believe it was wooden all the way. I remember being disappointed, though, that they were not going to replace it. I wonder if someone were to walk around in that area they could see supports anywhere.

I just looked via Google Earth and there is a barrier on the north side of the tracks on Lynn just after crossing Walnut. The barrier does not seem aged looking but probably was originally put up right after the bridge was torn down. No barrier on the south side, though.

Google labels Lynn from Walnut as Lynn but it looks like a private driveway.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I haven't seen release of their names yet
Jeremy W. Ratliff and Kelli L. Summers are being held on $50,000 bond with another person Randy V. Perez Jr being sought for questioning. One of those arrested is a female.

The statue is now back to 1,000 pounds, bronze, which makes me wonder how two men could move it around.

They damaged part of their vehicle during the heist and pieces left at the scene matched a vehicle one of them was driving. One of them had outstanding warrants.

No recovery of the staute. The statue apparently was last in possession of the man being sought.

Felony charges
have been made against the two in custody.

Replacement cost has been estimated at $75,000.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I just looked via Google Earth and there is a barrier on the north side of the tracks on Lynn just after crossing Walnut. The barrier does not seem aged looking but probably was originally put up right after the bridge was torn down. No barrier on the south side, though.

Google labels Lynn from Walnut as Lynn but it looks like a private driveway.

I think that when they restored the brick house on the southeast corner, was when it became a private drive/parking area since there is a historical marker in front of that house, which I just checked, on Google Maps Street View, but can't read. Also, I noticed a new addition on the back (south side) of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City