Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 05:03 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 09:02 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
That's a bit after my time there, although my parents still lived in the area. I also barely remember Bernstein Applebee (sp?) It is not listed in KC for 1960 so I presume it was a child of the 60s et seq As well as Brands Mart
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
It should have been around 10th and McGee.
BA also had a store in the lower level of the Blue Ridge Mall.

BrandsMart was originally on Gregory just east of Wornall in KC. They didn't open the Independence branch until the late 80s. Although their service was superior and prices competitive Best Buy killed them off.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
K-Mart, 40 Hiway & Noland Rd . .. facing west
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
You have one out of three answers correct!
K-Mart is correct. Please try again.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:09 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
BA also had a store in the lower level of the Blue Ridge Mall.

BrandsMart was originally on Gregory just east of Wornall in KC. They didn't open the Independence branch until the late 80s. Although their service was superior and prices competitive Best Buy killed them off.

Actually I think the BM in KC was where I bought a Sony reel to reel about 1970 then a CORDED REMOTE VCR, a very good one, on Election Day, Nov. 1980. The first thing I recorded was the election returns. Later that month was the infamous Who Shot JR, also recorded for posterity

The cost of the RCA VCR? A cool $1,200 or more. How times change

"It was YOU, Kristin, who shot JR"

Old 12-28-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Actually I think the BM in KC was where I bought a Sony reel to reel about 1970 then a CORDED REMOTE VCR, a very good one, on Election Day, Nov. 1980. The first thing I recorded was the election returns. Later that month was the infamous Who Shot JR, also recorded for posterity

"It was YOU, Kristin, who shot JR"

I recall in Germany in the military audio clubs that were run for very little profit one could get an Akai, I think, tape video recorder that was probably three feet tall and a couple feet wide and and a foot thick and was reel to reel using 11 inch reels. A wired hand held camera connected to the device. The price I think was around $2,000. The GIs in Germany were heavy into audio tape recorders, which could be obtained at a huge discount. I never knew anyone who splurged for the video recorder.

Things could get boring over there and music from home was the big thing. Most folks got two audio tape recorders so that commercial reels could be swapped and tape recorded.

There was Armed Forces Radio in country at the time but no Armed Forces Television like now. On Saturday nights, Gang Busters, Johnny Dollar, and Gunsmoke was on the radio. These were recordings from the forties and fifties. Also, American military movie theaters were in every town and the admission price was 35 cents, except for 2010: A Space Odyssey, which shot the price up to $1. Still, music was king.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:

My Beloved also bought one of the early RCA VCRs from BM around that time. We still have that machine, although it is retired from active duty. For many years we would drive clear over to Kansas to get blank tapes for $12 EACH in case lots. My how times have changed!

Old 12-28-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
My Beloved also bought one of the early RCA VCRs from BM around that time. We still have that machine, although it is retired from active duty. For many years we would drive clear over to Kansas to get blank tapes for $12 EACH in case lots. My how times have changed!

I still have mine too tho I doubt it is in workable condition. It was heavy and had about a 8 - 10 foot cord. I wanted a remote but didnt trust the wireless Mitsubishi for about the same price.

I remember those tapes, I think 2 4 or 6 hours, depending on one's choice of quality. BM also had some "free rentals" or reduced price ones. Some were X Rated.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I still have mine too tho I doubt it is in workable condition. It was heavy and had about a 8 - 10 foot cord. I wanted a remote but didnt trust the wireless Mitsubishi for about the same price.

I remember those tapes, I think 2 4 or 6 hours, depending on one's choice of quality. BM also had some "free rentals" or reduced price ones. Some were X Rated.
Do you remember the Columbia Record Club in which 12, or so, records or tapes could be purchased for only one penny? One mailed the penny in with a signed agreement. All one had to do was agree to buy X number of additional records or tapes at retail pricing (plus bloated handling and shipping costs) in a specified amount of time?

I think the club profited off the handling and shipping much like movie theaters profit from pop corn sales.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Do you remember the Columbia Record Club in which 12, or so, records or tapes could be purchased for only one penny? One mailed the penny in with a signed agreement. All one had to do was agree to buy X number of additional records or tapes at retail pricing (plus bloated handling and shipping costs) in a specified amount of time?

I think the club profited off the handling and shipping much like movie theaters profit from pop corn sales.

Yeah, I remember my buddy belonging and trying to recruit me into it, he would get rewarded with a freebie or two. Just like the TV specials, the low sales price (plus get another one free if ordering in X minutes) and the small print (plus S&H)

Old 12-29-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I remember my buddy belonging and trying to recruit me into it, he would get rewarded with a freebie or two. Just like the TV specials, the low sales price (plus get another one free if ordering in X minutes) and the small print (plus S&H)
Yeah, just like Beaver Cleaver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City