Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 09:26 PM

320 posts, read 310,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The very wealthy Colonel Vaile built the first ________________ in Independence and Jackson County.
Mansion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 08:02 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Mansion.
Nicht.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:01 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Mansion.

I will follow up with brick mansion.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:11 PM

A web site says Independence was the second settlement in Jackson County and was chosen as the county seat in 1826. It does not mention the first settlement. I didn't think anything was at Independence until 1827.

At any rate, does anyone know which settlement was the first in Jackson County.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

A web site says Independence was the second settlement in Jackson County and was chosen as the county seat in 1826. It does not mention the first settlement. I didn't think anything was at Independence until 1827.

At any rate, does anyone know which settlement was the first in Jackson County.

A 1920 history of Jackson County says "It is evident from all sources that the first settlement in Jackson County was at Fort Osage, on the Missouri River, afterward called Sibley."

Sibley was not platted until 1836, though.

The author must be talking of the local hangers on who posted themselves outside the gates of Fort Osage. These folks must have disbanded when Fort Osage was vacated in 1822.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I will follow up with brick mansion.
Nein.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
A 1920 history of Jackson County says "It is evident from all sources that the first settlement in Jackson County was at Fort Osage, on the Missouri River, afterward called Sibley."

Sibley was not platted until 1836, though.

The author must be talking of the local hangers on who posted themselves outside the gates of Fort Osage. These folks must have disbanded when Fort Osage was vacated in 1822.
The Pearl Wilcox book Jackson County Pioneers list the Six Mile area as the first settlement. It is the area that includes Fort Osage. The first settlers arrived in March of 1809.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 9,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
Any oldtimers out there want to remenisce about Independence Square--how it used to be--traditional architecture--a place to purchase anything one could need or want?

I went to Chrisman in the early 50s, in the beautiful old building on W. Maple, and we bought our textbooks (new and used) at Sturges on Liberty. Every day after school I'd go upstairs at Bundschu's and drool over a blue suede jacket my folks couldn't afford at $39.95. I loved the stonework of the showcases out front. Was mortified to see all that gone or covered by unattraactive raw wood pieces when I last went back.

There was a tiny place just off the square at Main and Lexington where we could get a string of tiny pictures taken for a quarter . . . .

I loved the architecture of the old Chrisman-Sawyer Bank facing the corner of Liberty and Lexington back then. I dont understand why these structures werent preserved! It is now replaced by a very modern one that is NOT complementary to the "historic Indepencence square'.

My Grandpa got his groceries at Milgrams when I was little. Anyone remember that? And I have NEVER eaten a cheeseburger in all these decades that compared to Winsteads' juicy delectable ones! Do I hear an amen?

Of course there was the cigarstore Indian on Lexington, down from Penney's . . . please share with me and others your memories of the old-time courthouse square. Or any place in Indep. MO that is an old memory now . . . Gosh, I wish the Velvet Freeze was still there . . . a few blocks West on Maple I believe. And MADE-RITE on Lexington, on the way out to the Natatorium!

Please join me in looking back to when we were a really small town and everybody knew everybody!
We also shopped at Milgrams on Main St in the 1950's until they opened the new store on US24 east of Nolan Rd. I remember the old store had screen doors with a spring that would close them when you let go of them. The doors would bang the doors closed a couple of times before finally closing.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBCOPELAND View Post
We also shopped at Milgrams on Main St in the 1950's until they opened the new store on US24 east of Nolan Rd. I remember the old store had screen doors with a spring that would close them when you let go of them. The doors would bang the doors closed a couple of times before finally closing.
The first Milgram's I remember is the 24 Highway & Dodgion store.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 PM

320 posts, read 310,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The very wealthy Colonel Vaile built the first ________________ in Independence and Jackson County.
Man made lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City