Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2014, 02:31 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

What college did Harry Truman attend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM

320 posts, read 310,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
What college did Harry Truman attend?
Unless this is a "trick" question, here is what I came up with;

Harry was a solid and hard-working student who graduated from high school in 1901. He wanted to attend West Point, but his poor eyesight foreclosed the possibility of a commission. Moreover, his father's financial problems, which began in the early 1900s, prevented Harry from attending a four-year college. Instead, he attended a business college in Kansas City for a semester but, with his family's finances increasingly dire, dropped out of school and took a job in the mailroom of the Kansas City Star in the summer of 1902. Truman subsequently worked for a construction company and as a bank clerk.

And this;

Truman did start courses toward a law degree and in business college at several different points in his life, although he never formally graduated or completed a degree.
“He sought higher education, but for whatever other obligations, he wasn’t able to finish them,” Armistead said. “I think he was aware that getting a higher education was very important.”
Years later, as the president, Truman was instrumental in passing legislation to create more community colleges, so those with fewer financial resources would be more likely to afford college, Armistead said.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM

President Harry S Truman has the distinction of being in the same company with Andrew Jackson, Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan relating to a presidential success that was based more on chance rather than actual personal achievement.

What is that distinction?

Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Unless this is a "trick" question, here is what I came up with;

Harry was a solid and hard-working student who graduated from high school in 1901. He wanted to attend West Point, but his poor eyesight foreclosed the possibility of a commission. Moreover, his father's financial problems, which began in the early 1900s, prevented Harry from attending a four-year college. Instead, he attended a business college in Kansas City for a semester but, with his family's finances increasingly dire, dropped out of school and took a job in the mailroom of the Kansas City Star in the summer of 1902. Truman subsequently worked for a construction company and as a bank clerk.

And this;

Truman did start courses toward a law degree and in business college at several different points in his life, although he never formally graduated or completed a degree.
“He sought higher education, but for whatever other obligations, he wasn’t able to finish them,” Armistead said. “I think he was aware that getting a higher education was very important.”
Years later, as the president, Truman was instrumental in passing legislation to create more community colleges, so those with fewer financial resources would be more likely to afford college, Armistead said.
What I have is that he attended Spalding's Commercial College for one semester and Kansas City Law School for two years at night.

He took typing, shorthand, and bookkeeping at Spaldings, which was located around 9th and Main.

Draughon's Business College was also in the downtown area when I was a kid, but I cannot recall exactly where.

I was not aware that he wanted to go to West Point.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:50 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
This is a moot point now......

I had pals who attended Columbian and Bryant . . .classic old elementary schools

Old 08-07-2014, 06:58 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I had pals who attended Columbian and Bryant . . .classic old elementary schools
Are you saying I'm classic old elementary, or that my school was?

My only classroom for the three years I spent here was in the basement on the backside. Hmm, that may explain a few things about me!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:07 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Are you saying I'm classic old elementary, or that my school was?

My only classroom for the three years I spent here was in the basement on the backside. Hmm, that may explain a few things about me!

Classic, elementary . . but not old . . yet !

Old 08-08-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
President Harry S Truman has the distinction of being in the same company with Andrew Jackson, Gerald Ford, and Ronald Reagan relating to a presidential success that was based more on chance rather than actual personal achievement.

A sometime bear hunter serving in the House of Representatives helped Andrew Jackson to be in this small group.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:37 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:

All survived attempted assassinations.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
All survived attempted assassinations.
All four successfully survived an assassination attempt while they were in office.

In Truman’s case, the Secret Service became involved in the largest gun battle of their history.

In the case of Ford, there were two tries on his life.

Of the four, only Reagan was actually hurt.

Andrew Jackson had no guard protection but tried clubbing his assailant with his walking stick. A bear hunter from Tennessee, Davy Crockett, saved him after the assailant’s two guns both jammed.

I do not recall anything about the attempt on Truman’s life by Puerto Rican nationalists in 1950, but I do remember when the same group shot up the House of Representatives in 1954.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City