Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 09:30 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

There have been a few changes at this location since 1957. Where is it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 08:05 PM

320 posts, read 310,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
There have been a few changes at this location since 1957. Where is it?

Doubt this is correct, but using modern maps, this looks similar to Truman Rd at Jones Rd in eastern Independence. However, there was probably more housing around than there appears to be in this photo.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Doubt this is correct, but using modern maps, this looks similar to Truman Rd at Jones Rd in eastern Independence. However, there was probably more housing around than there appears to be in this photo.
Sorry, that is off by a few miles. Please try again. If'n no one gets it I may post a wider view later today.

Old 02-21-2015, 01:38 PM

As promised, the wider view...

Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Oh, that's better.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I was wondering why the “off base” location for the fire chief to take a photo of his car. But, but it may have been parked near a fire and someone else took the photo.

Upon some further thinking, it seems to me there was a Buick dealer on north Main right across from fire station 1 in 1957. Perhaps, there was some cooperation here on the part of the dealer with the city.

I checked the 1957 prices for a Roadmaster 2-door hardtop (no pillars) coupe with the three-pane rear window and came up with $3,536 less options. Air Conditioning was an option for $695. I could not find what options were available other than air conditioning. The Chief’s car apparently did not have air conditioning since the windows are open, including the wing. Air conditioning was not big back then anyway. I can recall the ’55 Oldsmobile having air conditioning but don’t remember anything earlier than that.

I also recall that for a 1957 Ford, anyway, virtually everything that is standard today was an extra cost option, such as seat belts, padded dash, safety steering wheel, power steering, power brakes, power window, automatic transmission, heater, and radio. Even white wall tires were extra. The thing that always got me was that you had to pay extra for a heater. In ’61 I asked a dealer in Blue Springs why that was and he gave me a lame excuse that heaters were not needed in Florida….

By comparison to the Buick, a 1957 Ford two-door hardtop (no pillars) was $2300 without options. By comparison with that was the Ford basic two-door sedan at $1991 plus options, which is probably what the fire chief should have been driving if the city was footing the bill.
I asked on facebook if a location might be known for that particular photo and it was thought to be on South McCoy. I presume north of 23rd. Chief Pollard lived on this street according to the FB responder, behind fire station #4. Currently this station is located on 23rd street. Wondering if this is a relocated station. I need to drive over to that area and see if I can find the exact spot where the Buick posed.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:25 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
I asked on facebook if a location might be known for that particular photo and it was thought to be on South McCoy. I presume north of 23rd. Chief Pollard lived on this street according to the FB responder, behind fire station #4. Currently this station is located on 23rd street. Wondering if this is a relocated station. I need to drive over to that area and see if I can find the exact spot where the Buick posed.
Five years before that photo was taken, Chief Pollard's fire chief car was a stubby little 1950 Dodge two door coupe.

His fire inspection officer was driving a 1940 Buick two-door coupe.

Both of these cars looked downright stupid even for the time but they saved the taxpayer some money.

The original #4 was east across Liberty street from the present #4 at Liberty and 23rd. It looks like it is empty. There were some structural problems with the original building as I think I recall.

Just west of #4, the double tracks going under 23rd were at street level in the late fifties.

I just discovered there is a north-south McCoy and and an East-West McCoy in Independence......

Common Major Tom, name MAD's aerial photo and get me out of my misery.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 02-21-2015 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:

Different street names and configurations but I think I'm seeing what is now 35th street intersecting with Lees Summit rd. The track is the Chicago Alton.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Different street names and configurations but I think I'm seeing what is now 35th street intersecting with Lees Summit rd. The track is the Chicago Alton.
You are correct, mostly. The Chicago & Alton (which built that line in 1879) failed in 1931 and was taken over by the B&O, which changed its name to the Alton RR. In 1947 the Gulf Mobile & Ohio bought the Alton and merged it into their operation, dropping the Alton name. 1972 brought the merger of the GM&O with the Illinois Central forming the Illinois Central Gulf. In 1987 they sold most of the old C&A western division to the Chicago Missouri and Western RR. By 1990 that RR was bankrupt and taken over by the Gateway Western. Finally in 1997 the GWRR was purchased by KC Southern, which still operates over the old C&A line in the photo to St. Louis, MO and Springfield, IL.

In just 7 years the view has changed a bit...

Old 02-22-2015, 07:47 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
You are correct, mostly. The Chicago & Alton (which built that line in 1879) failed in 1931 and was taken over by the B&O, which changed its name to the Alton RR. In 1947 the Gulf Mobile & Ohio bought the Alton and merged it into their operation, dropping the Alton name. 1972 brought the merger of the GM&O with the Illinois Central forming the Illinois Central Gulf. In 1987 they sold most of the old C&A western division to the Chicago Missouri and Western RR. By 1990 that RR was bankrupt and taken over by the Gateway Western. Finally in 1997 the GWRR was purchased by KC Southern, which still operates over the old C&A line in the photo to St. Louis, MO and Springfield, IL.

In just 7 years the view has changed a bit...

That is amazing. I can see my folks house in the '63 view. That awkward bridge in the original threw me off but I still would not have guessed the location. I can recall driving east on 35th from Noland in '57 the first year I drove but all I remember is a huge corn field on the south side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City