Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

This is an interior of one of the 6x 9 cells. The irons are for problem prisoners and not all the cells had them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 02:21 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I'm really enjoying this discussion thread everyone. Just encouraging you all to keep up the good work with the narrative and photos. Suspect there are a lot of us out here following, but haven't chimed in with encouragement. Let me be their voice!

TY AJ, feel free (and others) to dive right in with your own memories, favorites and questions. I realize from this thread Ive forgotten far more than I care to realize !

Old 07-13-2012, 06:24 PM

152 posts, read 767,860 times
59--I do not remember the Mounted Posse at all but was delighted to read the post about Wild Woody's out on Noland ! I was back visiting my grandparents in the early 60s when they told me about that "new place way out on Noland Rd." Went out there and bought them some country coffee mugs to remember me by! Had been trying to recall the name of that place for some time, so THANKS !

Say did you say a long while back that you live in Colorado now? I asked what part but don't recall an answer. We've been living in Ft. Collins for two yrs.! Where are you?

Dallas, I don't think I ever welcomed you. Glad you're aboard! If I had a computer at home it would be lots easier for me to keep UP.

Thanks, guys, for all the ideas regarding my 'mystery jog' near No. Fuller. We were definitely heading West parallel to Hwy 24 just a few blocks East of my home and not awfully far from 24. I don't recall all the names of streets mentioned and don't have a map with me. So still not sure where it was but some of these days will get on it, cause it really bugs me !!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 PM

I live in the overnight instant city that came into being on February 07, 2001, with 100,000 people right off the bat: Centennial. That was the largest single incorporation in US history.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:41 PM

152 posts, read 767,860 times
Someone mentioned Taystee's ! One of my favorite childhood places . . . on the west side which was eventually part of the Jones Store later. I told this story in my original postings . . . our dentist was upstairs from it and after painful dental work my Mom would, as promised, take me into Taystee's for a sundae! Um-boy! Did it move somewhere else? I'm not aware if it did. Velvet Freeze--another favorite! Went there a lot, cause my Dad HAD to have something sweet to eat every night. I was pretty small so I mainly remember the large checkered flooring! Also recall the color pale green and black. (flooring?)

I saw the movie When Irish Eyes Are Smiling at the Electric Theater on No. Main, wasn't it? Loved movies, espec. musicals! I remember Sudora, too, but what kind of shop was it? A ladies' shop?The Electric Theater was so little . . . I just learned a few yrs. ago from my best friend ( WCHS schoolmate ) that her uncle owned all the theaters in Indep ! Never knew that. Don't know his name but her maiden name was Sutton. She had a nifty job in the Sweet Shop adjacent to the Granada in the 50s !

Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post

I saw the movie When Irish Eyes Are Smiling at the Electric Theater on No. Main, wasn't it? Loved movies, espec. musicals! I remember Sudora, too, but what kind of shop was it? A ladies' shop?The Electric Theater was so little . . . I just learned a few yrs. ago from my best friend ( WCHS schoolmate ) that her uncle owned all the theaters in Indep ! Never knew that. Don't know his name but her maiden name was Sutton. She had a nifty job in the Sweet Shop adjacent to the Granada in the 50s !
Here is a photo of the former Electric Theater on north main which is now Knitcraft. Sudora's was in there for many years but I dont know what it was. Next door is the "Gateway Sporting Goods." The theater was right next to the 1859 Jackson County Jail.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
59--I do not remember the Mounted Posse at all but was delighted to read the post about Wild Woody's out on Noland ! I was back visiting my grandparents in the early 60s when they told me about that "new place way out on Noland Rd." Went out there and bought them some country coffee mugs to remember me by! Had been trying to recall the name of that place for some time, so THANKS !
I dont remember a lot about Wild Woody's other than they sure did not care what the store building or even the fixtures looked like. They concentrated on the cheapest sale price possible. The most I remember is pulling into their parking lot. Someone I know bought a wonderful red car coat there one time though.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Someone mentioned Taystee's ! One of my favorite childhood places . . . on the west side which was eventually part of the Jones Store later. I told this story in my original postings . . . our dentist was upstairs from it and after painful dental work my Mom would, as promised, take me into Taystee's for a sundae! Um-boy! Did it move somewhere else? I'm not aware if it did. Velvet Freeze--another favorite! Went there a lot, cause my Dad HAD to have something sweet to eat every night. I was pretty small so I mainly remember the large checkered flooring! Also recall the color pale green and black. (flooring?)

Sally, thank you for the welcome and for starting this thread, it's been alot of fun. You mentioned "Taystee's" and while that name sounded familiar I played around on Google. At first it brought me to "Taystee Bread (Butternut Bread)" remember that? Scrolling thru the results I saw it was "Tastee-Freez" ice cream, and images showed some old and more recent photos of TF sites around the country. Complete with the old logo of cone with machine soft vanilla ice cream (and the swirl on top!) The one on The Square might have been the place where my buddies and I went in one cold wintry day. The first to order asked for something like a limeade, and the rest of us "same here'd" Gripping the icy drinks (without gloves) we went back outside STUPID!! We couldn't help but laugh at the pain and idiocy of what we'd just ordered.

I do think I may have found the checkered floor spot. Maybe MAD or WCHS can post the Google Image or the pic on the homepage website of "Square Pizza" listed at 208 W. Maple. That certainly is near the old Jones location. A narrow store with booths and a checkered floor as you described. Is that it?

Edit: On second reading, I think you are talking about the Velvet Freeze with the checkered floor. If so, where was the other ice cream place (Tastee-Freez)? I only recall TF as stand-alone drive-in type sites.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 07-13-2012 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-13-2012, 08:58 PM

Default Wild Woody's Bargain Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I dont remember a lot about Wild Woody's other than they sure did not care what the store building or even the fixtures looked like. They concentrated on the cheapest sale price possible. The most I remember is pulling into their parking lot. Someone I know bought a wonderful red car coat there one time though.

We moved a couple miles south off Noland from WW. It was at 4201 Noland, right at the now-SE corner of Noland and I-70. The site has been occupied by a Price Chopper grocery for at least 20 years I'll bet. WWBB had the logo of the toothless grinnin young cowboy and the pig with a crown on its head. It was a poor man's Sam's Club, well before Mr. Walton came onto the Independence scene. I remember full page/multi page ads in the KC Star, and as noted above, WW's sold all kinds of strange stuff.

Googling WW's today brings up some locations of a "Wild Woody's Happy Foods" groceries, so while the original store is long gone, WW's still lives on albeit in revised form.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Sudora's was in there for many years but I dont know what it was.
A good friend just advised me that Sudora's was an upscale beauty salon--very pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City