Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 12:04 PM

20 posts, read 25,511 times

Advertisements

Not so difficult, but related to a recent set of posts....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Number 1 Sanborn Map, August 1916.

Either the map makers got it wrong or the city changed the name but Ruby Ave is identified as Rubey Ave.

Woodlawn Cemetery fronts on High Street. At some point the cemetery was extended one block west to front on Noland.

Between Main and Liberty from Stone to Sea was the north-south Washington Street.

South of Independence Ave (24 Highway) just east of Noland at the north-south Leslie Street were two east-west streets called Irvine and Stuyvesent. Leslie does not exist in that area now, nor do these two streets now exist.

Parker Avenue was a north-south street between Waldo and College almost on line with the current day Noland. Parker Street is now further east beginning off of Independence Ave or Highway 24 at Emery as an east-west street.

Dodgion Street extended north to an intersection with Independence Ave or Highway 24. It now stops at College Street.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weimlover6 View Post
Not so difficult, but related to a recent set of posts....
Very easy, at least for those of us still in town!

Old 12-26-2012, 12:57 PM

North-south Huston Street was located between Hocker on the east and High on the west and Elm on the north and Pacific on the south.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:12 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Very easy, at least for those of us still in town!
Ok for those of us not in town . . . .Sandwich University, the first-of-its-kind college to prepare workers for the rising fast food industry!

Old 12-26-2012, 01:32 PM

Well, I wondered what that photo was intended to solicit, chuckle, I must be getting old.

Sandwich U was on Maple, I believe, but not sure where.

I think it was started as the first eating business in a "revived" square?

I subscribed to the Examiner all the time I was in the service and a while after. I vaguely recall when it started up and thought the square area was so dead there would never be enough business to support the effort.

I dont know that I ever went by the place in front and this alley view is not familiar.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:47 PM

So what was the approximate time frame that The Square "died" so to speak? The BR Mall opened I think in 1959, and was the only mall around for quite some time. I still have fond memories of hanging out in The Square during the early 60s, on up to 63 or 64 at least. From that point forward, not so much. I recall by the 70s the brilliant "urban renewal" plan with the diagonal parking or whatever hair-brained scheme the City Fathers came up with. Was The Square still viable in 1965? 1968? I realize it would have been over the course of years but when did The Square really stop being The Square we all knew and loved?

Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Default Sandwich U

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Well, I wondered what that photo was intended to solicit, chuckle, I must be getting old.

Sandwich U was on Maple, I believe, but not sure where.

I think it was started as the first eating business in a "revived" square?

I subscribed to the Examiner all the time I was in the service and a while after. I vaguely recall when it started up and thought the square area was so dead there would never be enough business to support the effort.

I dont know that I ever went by the place in front and this alley view is not familiar.

Independence, MO —
Rita Marie (Watson) Lamb, age 84, died peacefully on April 30, 2012, at Jackson Village, Independence, Mo.
Rita was born November 12, 1927, in Kansas City, Mo., the daughter of Edward and Marie Watson. She grew up on Cedarcrest Farms in Independence, attended St. Mary’s School, and Mount St. Scholastica College, where she majored in Nutrition. Rita was a long-time member of St. Mary’s Catholic Church and St. Mark’s Catholic Church of Independence. She was owner of Sandwich U restaurant on the historic Independence Square for 16 years.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
So what was the approximate time frame that The Square "died" so to speak? The BR Mall opened I think in 1959, and was the only mall around for quite some time. I still have fond memories of hanging out in The Square during the early 60s, on up to 63 or 64 at least. From that point forward, not so much. I recall by the 70s the brilliant "urban renewal" plan with the diagonal parking or whatever hair-brained scheme the City Fathers came up with. Was The Square still viable in 1965? 1968? I realize it would have been over the course of years but when did The Square really stop being The Square we all knew and loved?
I don't recall when the article was published and the only thing I can recall about it is two things. One was the name of the place of business, I thought it was rather odd. The other was that she was going to try to get something going on the square.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:48 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Either the map makers got it wrong or the city changed the name but Ruby Ave is identified as Rubey Ave.
Between Main and Liberty from Stone to Sea was the north-south Washington Street.
The original name was Rubey, in honor of Mr. Reuben Rubey. He was a cabinet maker and carpenter. He built and operated the first city market in town (Lexington & Osage in 1838). He also made coffins and furniture. His grandson was Henry G Mitchell of Ott & Mitchell funeral home. Mr. Rubey owned land on the south side of town. He subdivided it and named one of the streets for himself. In 1951 new street signs were made which misspelled his name, but Mayor Sermon told them not to correct it.

Washington Street still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
When I was a kid the Square still had many active businesses. Jones, Penney's, Woolworth, Monkey Wards, Sears Outlet, Western Auto, and Katz Drugs were all still open. My paper route was on the Square at the time Urban Renewal came in. That fiasco, along with the opening of Independence Center, effectively killed the Square from a retail perspective.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City