Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,185,102 times

Advertisements

Kansas Citians need to go school to learn how to ride a bus!

KCATA | News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM

1,830 posts, read 3,807,336 times
I take the bus to work (Plaza/Westport to Downtown) daily. When Big 12 tourney was going on, I was teaching Texas students from Austin how to ride the bus. There were 7 of them and none have ever been on a city bus. I've helped tourists from all over with using the bus over the years.

I think in most anywhere suburban America, most don't know how to ride the bus. Why they are doing instruction in the City I'm not sure. Would make more sense in suburbia.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:59 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
^When the weather was bad this winter I took the bus to work several days and had a couple co-workers who lived right by me complain about digging their car out, traversing the roads etc. and I told them to take the bus with me. I had to teach them how to read the Website, where to pick up the bus, how to use the fare box, etc.

I think fear and not knowing how to use it may well keep a number of people from using KC's bus, so if a clinic can help them, then awesome.

I also have a friend who lives in Blue Springs and can't afford the commute and she may well start taking the bus. I imagine a class would be very helpful to her!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:31 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times
I think younger generations are starting to realize that a car is nothing more then a glorified utility. If i had everything in walking distance and the bus went to my work, i wouldn't own a car.

Just think of the savings you would have if you didn't own a car
Average over 5 years
Gas - about 1200 a year
Insurance - Fully Covered - about 800 a year
Oil Changes - 150 a year
Wear and Tear - New Tires, Wiper Blades, Headlights - Maybe 350 a year on average
Personal Property and plate renewal on a fairly decent car - 300 a year

Total - 2750 - That number jumps to 5750 if you had a car payment of 250 a month
I'd probably use that 2750 a year to save for retirement or i would use it to pay for a plane ticket and some of hotel costs for a week long trip to europe or something

So over a 5 year period you are blowing 13,750 on a car

When i lived and worked on the square in liberty, my car broke down and i didn't replace it for 2 months, i walked to work, to eat, and to shop, it was quite nice

Old 04-04-2011, 10:38 AM

For me owning a car is a luxury. I like having it and use it often but am not dependent on it. I only put about 3-4K per year on my car, a big chunk is travel to see family in STL.

My brother lived here for a few years (coming from Philly) and never had a car while here. He borrowed mine once in a while but otherwise either biked and/or used the bus. He thought nothing of it not having a car here as he was already used to it in Philly.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
For me owning a car is a luxury. I like having it and use it often but am not dependent on it. I only put about 3-4K per year on my car, a big chunk is travel to see family in STL.

How is that even possible? I put like 20-25K a year on my car.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:53 AM

A benefit of living/working in the City and taking the bus to work. The car is a luxury, not a necessity.

Curious you think it not possible. My brother didn't even have a car when living here.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:13 PM

We have a 10 mile round-trip commute each day and share one car. I'd honestly rather take the bus and some days I do, but the cost of 2 bus passes is more than the cost of driving. The 47, 39 and 51 can take me literally anywhere in the city I'd need to go on a regular basis.

We make a fair number of road trips and like to drive around for leisure on the weekends when the weather is nice, but we've owned our car for 2 years now and have put less than 15k on it.

I needed the car for a reverse commute in Chicago, but it was never touched on the weekend.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:41 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenokc View Post
A benefit of living/working in the City and taking the bus to work. The car is a luxury, not a necessity.

Curious you think it not possible. My brother didn't even have a car when living here.

We live in one of the 5 most spread out cities in the entire country. It takes my wife 35 minutes each way to get to school and if she used the bus system, it would take well over 2 hours each way.

I drive 22 miles each day to work, plus I have to take my kids two different places each morning which is an extra 15 miles.

We could not survive using the bus system. Unless you live downtown and work downtown, I think it would be damn near impossible to not have a car.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM

When you say downtown do you mean actual downtown or all of the city. Because I don't work or live downtown and the bus is fine for me!

KC is a tough city on those who desire walkability and the ability to use public transit -- especially if you throw a couple kids into the equation.

I don't think xeno was suggesting everyone in the metro can currently survuve without a car, but I do think there are an awful lot of people here who believe it's impossible to live without one, no matter where you live, and that's simply not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City