Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 12:15 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Im from Minneapolis and recently drove through KC on my way to Oklahoma City. I thought that KC's skyline was decent. It reminded me of St. Paul's skyine. -Dense, decent, not super tall... It doesn't have anything on MPLS' though.

Nice cute skyline... I like all the hills around KC though, that was impressive.
Going south on 35, you don't get a good take on how tall some of the buildings really are. I don't recall Minneapolis' skyline being dramatically bigger-looking. It just has different architecture and terrain which adds to the effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 07:06 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Going south on 35, you don't get a good take on how tall some of the buildings really are. I don't recall Minneapolis' skyline being dramatically bigger-looking. It just has different architecture and terrain which adds to the effect.
I'm in the same boat, Minneapolis seems to have a more compact downtown with grander buildings but don't think it doesn't seem all that big. When you add Crown Center to the mix, I think our Skyline is kind of like Atlanta, ATL has a similar gap then a midtown area kind of like Crown Center

Old 07-20-2011, 07:58 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
I think KC's skyline looks really pretty from several angles because of the hill it sits upon -- such a perfect spot on which to build a downtown.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:42 PM

886 posts, read 2,227,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
What do you think of KC's skyline? Good, Average, or Bad? I would give it average to bad. A C or C-. KC has a lot of art deco, but also modern glass buildings. The buildings contrast too much and the skyline is very elongated (east to west). Too long and not compact enough for me. What do you think needs to happen to improve it?
I think KC has a great skyline when you consider it is KC.... we have 2.2 million. Less then STL, which has the arch.. and KC has a MUCH better skyline then STL imo.

I was just in LA recently and find out skyline to more impressive then the 2nd largest city in the US as well. From the south and north views our skyline also looks much bigger (tho not in height).

I like our skyline better then Houston even.. tho from the right angles Houstons skyline looks huge... but our art deco buildings stick out better IMO.

Compared to actually similar cities ours does very well. I wish we had some new towers there tho... but it will never happen while KC is still struggling to keep stupid joco from pillaging it's businesses. I could be wrong, but if it wasn't for JoCo i'd bet we would have 3-4 new towers.

I had friends visit recently from San Diego and they couldn't stop talking about how impressive KC skyline is, and especially going down there how lively it is. We went out and there were people all over the place all night even during the week.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:47 AM

132 posts, read 171,679 times
The businesses wouldn't be going to Joco if it weren't for KC's tax structure. The 1% is enough to turn most businesses away, including the one I work for.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:56 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
I think KC's skyline is great, and count me among those who has to shake my head at the ridiculousness of comparing it to those of much larger cities and finding it lacking. ZOMG, it's not as good as Sao Paolo's!!!! Gimme a break.

I love the topography, and the variety of buildings. I also am a big fan of art deco. Modern architecture does very little for me, and if anything, I lean the opposite way...art deco's about as "new" an aesthetic as I generally prefer, with an exception here and there. The older the building, odds are the more I like it, if it's restored in an appropriately period manner, of course.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adebord View Post
The businesses wouldn't be going to Joco if it weren't for KC's tax structure. The 1% is enough to turn most businesses away, including the one I work for.
Is everybody in this country a lemming that just say what everybody else says without doing an research?

A company based in KCMO will pay less in taxes than a company based in JoCo. Period.

Now things change when KS hands out all kinds of free cash to companies to move from KCMO to JoCo.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I think KC's skyline is great, and count me among those who has to shake my head at the ridiculousness of comparing it to those of much larger cities and finding it lacking. ZOMG, it's not as good as Sao Paolo's!!!! Gimme a break.

I love the topography, and the variety of buildings. I also am a big fan of art deco. Modern architecture does very little for me, and if anything, I lean the opposite way...art deco's about as "new" an aesthetic as I generally prefer, with an exception here and there. The older the building, odds are the more I like it, if it's restored in an appropriately period manner, of course.
Agreed! But KC could use a couple of modern buildings to update the skyline, especially east of Grand where the skylines hasn't changed much since the 1930's. A 30 story modern building would look real nice complimenting the art deco city hall and jackson country courthouse area.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Between the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts and the Sprint Center, I would argue that there's definitely a modern architecture presence contributing to the skyline, though.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 PM

132 posts, read 171,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Is everybody in this country a lemming that just say what everybody else says without doing an research?

A company based in KCMO will pay less in taxes than a company based in JoCo. Period.

Now things change when KS hands out all kinds of free cash to companies to move from KCMO to JoCo.
We did our research about 6 months ago and I doubt anything has changed. We are currently located in Mission ks and will probably stay there until the horrendous tax structure changes.

Imposing a 1% tax on employees is a good way to lose internal support for a move within a company. Witnessed it myself.

If KCMO implemented a tax free core policy and actually promoted it I bet that place would be flooded with businesses and the people would move closer as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City