Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:07 PM

345 posts, read 833,448 times

Advertisements

What will happen? KC is supposed to host the Big 12 tourney the next 3 years, the Border Showdown at Arrowhead will crumble, and we will lose some regional importance. I personally believe (don't want to start an argument) that KC is as important to the conference and all of college basketball as Atlanta is to the SEC and college football.

The Big 12 Tournament brings fans from the country to see what Kansas City has to offer and to watch the sport. It showcased what a cool city we actually are and how underrated we are. Obviously, if the Big 12 splits we will lose some tourism, our GMP will go down, and even jobs will be lost. Will college sports in KC still be as important if Mizzou, KU, and KState all go to different conferences. What will happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
As far as the big games between KU and MU, it sure doesn't hurt the games in St Louis when MU plays IL and IL is in a different conference. They sell out the arena and dome every time, no problem.

KU is embedded in the KC area and that won’t go away. I think the only thing KC may lose is the BIG 12 Tourney, but I see KC getting something that would replace it. No way would KC not be part of some sort of NCAA basketball tournament. The city supports them too well.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:30 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
As far as the big games between KU and MU, it sure doesn't hurt the games in St Louis when MU plays IL and IL is in a different conference. They sell out the arena and dome every time, no problem.

KU is embedded in the KC area and that won’t go away. I think the only thing KC may lose is the BIG 12 Tourney, but I see KC getting something that would replace it. No way would KC not be part of some sort of NCAA basketball tournament. The city supports them too well.
Yeah they did until dumb ol' Illinois decided they'd like to win their first game and decided not to play any more

But I agree with the point -- I don't care what conference either team is, MU and KU are going to play a football game against each other every year for as far into the future as I can see, and there's no reason to think they'd hold it anywhere but KC.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:04 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
I think the goal of all of this is to create four mega conferences of 16 teams and move toward a playoff in college football, i really think this is what is going to happen, the Big 12 just needs to fall apart in order for this to happen

Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 AM

210 posts, read 428,534 times
Hopefully they'll be downplayed in this city and we can be more of a pro town. Bring an NBA team here already. I could give a rats ass about KU/MU/K-State and the corrupt NCAA.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post
Hopefully they'll be downplayed in this city and we can be more of a pro town. Bring an NBA team here already. I could give a rats ass about KU/MU/K-State and the corrupt NCAA.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVPete View Post

You cannot be serious. The NBA is complete and utter trash. We dont need that garbage in our city. I am a huge sports fan and I mainly hang out with other sports fans and I do not know a single person that follows that trash. College basketball is by far the superior sport and this is a college basketball town. An NBA team would have a hard time competing against the Jayhawks for fans and media attention.

Kansas City is easily one of the biggest college sports cities in the country, especially when it comes to college basketball. We have hosted more Final Fours than any other city in the country. It is a part of who we are and the Big 12 is the backbone of it.

The Big 12 falling apart will be absolutely horrible for Kansas City. Rooting for the Big 12 to dismantle is foolish whether you are a sports fan or not. The amount of exposure and revenue generated by Big 12 events and the culture it builds is priceless.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
I think the goal of all of this is to create four mega conferences of 16 teams and move toward a playoff in college football, i really think this is what is going to happen, the Big 12 just needs to fall apart in order for this to happen

Whose goal is that? This is a bunch of entities playing against each other all with the goal of making more money individually. There is no one goal.

I dont think the TV networks will allow the midwest to go without a conference because they need a group of TV markets in the central time zone.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:21 PM

210 posts, read 428,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
You cannot be serious. The NBA is complete and utter trash. We dont need that garbage in our city. I am a huge sports fan and I mainly hang out with other sports fans and I do not know a single person that follows that trash. College basketball is by far the superior sport and this is a college basketball town. An NBA team would have a hard time competing against the Jayhawks for fans and media attention.

Kansas City is easily one of the biggest college sports cities in the country, especially when it comes to college basketball. We have hosted more Final Fours than any other city in the country. It is a part of who we are and the Big 12 is the backbone of it.

The Big 12 falling apart will be absolutely horrible for Kansas City. Rooting for the Big 12 to dismantle is foolish whether you are a sports fan or not. The amount of exposure and revenue generated by Big 12 events and the culture it builds is priceless.
Of course I'm serious. Here's a newsflash - not everyone likes what you like. I like the NBA. At least there the talent is paid over the table instead of people making millions of the sweat of "amateur" athletes. College sports is completely boring to me. I also didn't attend any of the local schools.

I never said I was "rooting" for the Big 12 to dismantle. I appreciate the revenue the tournaments bring in. I'm just saying if they dissolve, we need to get ready for life post-Big 12. I know college sports is huge here. Fur trading also used to be huge here. Times are changing. KC can adapt. If the Big 12 dissolves, we'll have to focus on something else, because I doubt we host any conference tourneys any more. Better to get ready for the transition than let the conference fall apart and wonder what happened.

I've always wondered - why are college sports so big here anyway? Its not like any of the local schools have ever been good at football. KU is pretty dominant at college basketball, but the other schools haven't done anything. I don't really get it. At least in the NBA you have a shot at a championship, even if you're a smaller city.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:50 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
I like the NBA but what gets me upset is how people think NBA players are nothing but weed smoking thugs. I can't even think of one thug person in the NBA, most of the players are pretty decent guys since Stern has implemented rules while players like PacMan Jones and Kenny Britt make off field headlines every other day.

The NFL has way more felons, murderers (Leonard Little, Ray Lewis, Marvin Harrison), cheaters, steriod users and players who have just died while still in their career, then the NBA could ever dream of, yet the NFL gets so much praise and love from everyone all of that just gets swept under the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City