Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
"IMO its a matter of geography and where Kansas City sits on the map. Most cities within four or five hours from KC are either red neck or not." I think you need to elaborate as this doesn't make very much sense. I've lived in the northern tier for years and work with many people from rural areas and I would consider very few of them to be redneck at all. This just isn't common at all in the rural north with its geographical location, climate, and far less direct solar radiation compared to the South.
Kansas City sits at the cross roads of; rail, cattle, river traffic, and agricultural industry. The ancillary business that these industries attracts draws a segment of the population that might be considered rednecks.( relative to Des Moines, St. Louis or Denver) If Kansas City had been any further north it would have been part of the German or Lutheran migration and of course you don't have to go too far south of Kansas City to be in redneck territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 08:49 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I think the term red neck is a relative term. On a scale of large urban or metropolitian cities Kansas City might be considered redneck. IMO its a matter of georgraphy and where Kansas City sits on the map. Most cities within four or five hours from KC are either red neck or not. KC is the only one that offers debate. I think the historic cattle and agriculture industry in KC has pulled it more to the redneck status.
So in other words you believe Kansas City is like a bordering city, kind of in the middle? You go one direction and other cities are not redneck, you go the other and they could be considered so?

What do you mean when you say "KC is the only one that offers debate?"

Old 06-02-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

What do you mean when you say "KC is the only one that offers debate?"
I think on the one hand Kansas Citians have good access to culture, entertainment, museums, galleries, opera, and the arts per capita, but it also has its historical relationship with beef, agriculture and indistry. I was reminded of that when last week or so some agricultural issue within national or maybe international scope needed comentary the media went to Kansas City to get a response. Being known for Barbeque as apposed to wine making doesn't help.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:59 AM

220 posts, read 453,613 times
Quote:
I think on the one hand Kansas Citians have good access to culture, entertainment, museums, galleries, opera, and the arts per capita, but it also has its historical relationship with beef, agriculture and indistry. I was reminded of that when last week or so some agricultural issue within national or maybe international scope needed comentary the media went to Kansas City to get a response. Being known for Barbeque as apposed to wine making doesn't help.
The US Department of Agriculture has a significant office in KC.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:46 PM

316 posts, read 784,245 times
Quote:
Kansas City sits at the cross roads of; rail, cattle, river traffic, and agricultural industry. The ancillary business that these industries attracts draws a segment of the population that might be considered rednecks.( relative to Des Moines, St. Louis or Denver) If Kansas City had been any further north it would have been part of the German or Lutheran migration and of course you don't have to go too far south of Kansas City to be in redneck territory.
Kansas City Mo is defintely one one of the more culture-forward cities in the state and the plains region in general, but the overwhelming attitude is still toward consistency, conservative values and reliability over innovation and change. Missouri has a fairly large population of white economic underclass, otherwise known as rednecks, hicks and white trash. A lot of knee-jerk ultra-conservatives and total redneck types live in the southern part of the state and areas of Cass County. Just be ready to chuckle quietly at some of the foolishness of these folks and their unusual redneck like obessions. Many seem to pay no mind to things like smoking when pumping gas, and Gun Control means one in each hand. The areas south of K.C. were way too redneck for us, we're center left, politically libertarian, boat and gun owners, but not redneck. KCK...LOL now that's a whole other story, that place is like you've entered the twilight zone.

Last edited by alphajet; 06-03-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
It's my humble opinion that KC does not really have any true rednecks. Not the kinds you'd find living in the Ozarks or West Virginia. If that's the case I'd be truly shocked. Hell, Franklin and Jefferson County in the STL metro area probably have more rednecks than KC...and btw...redneck does not = Southern, despite the Confederate flag often being associated with it. I always felt the Confederate flag in these cases was more a sign of rebellion than a statement of "I am a Southerner."
You'll find most of the rednecks living on the outskirts of Kansas City. I grew up in Cass County, which is a rural area just south of the city. It's most definitely a redneck paradise.

Here’s a good example of Cass County redneck culture: About a month ago a couple of 30-year-old brothers near Archie, MO, were arrested and charged with kidnapping. They held a couple of teen-aged boys hostage at gunpoint for about three hours but they released them unharmed. When the two brothers were arrested they told the Cass County Sheriff that they only intended to scare the boys because they were raiding their backyard still and were stealing their homemade moonshine. Yeah, these guys were making Mountain Dew in their backyard in 2013.

The men were only charged with kidnapping. The sheriff didn’t even file any charges for making moonshine.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
KCK...LOL now that's a whole other story, that place is l[/color][/color]ike you've entered the twilight zone.
Kansas City Kansan: Petition launched to make it easier to keep hens in Wyandotte County

Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 AM

220 posts, read 453,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
You'll find most of the rednecks living on the outskirts of Kansas City. I grew up in Cass County, which is a rural area just south of the city. It's most definitely a redneck paradise.

Here’s a good example of Cass County redneck culture: About a month ago a couple of 30-year-old brothers near Archie, MO, were arrested and charged with kidnapping. They held a couple of teen-aged boys hostage at gunpoint for about three hours but they released them unharmed. When the two brothers were arrested they told the Cass County Sheriff that they only intended to scare the boys because they were raiding their backyard still and were stealing their homemade moonshine. Yeah, these guys were making Mountain Dew in their backyard in 2013.

The men were only charged with kidnapping. The sheriff didn’t even file any charges for making moonshine.
Moonshine is coming back, it's a hipster thing now though. Coming to a downtown near you...

Old 06-05-2013, 08:22 AM

2,233 posts, read 3,162,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
That's because distilling isn't a crime in Missouri. Missouri State Constitution protects the right of private citizens to distill up to 100 gallons/year of homemade liquor for personal use.

It is prohibited by Federal law, not by state or local law.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:57 AM

936 posts, read 822,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
That's because distilling isn't a crime in Missouri. Missouri State Constitution protects the right of private citizens to distill up to 100 gallons/year of homemade liquor for personal use.

It is prohibited by Federal law, not by state or local law.
I did not know that. I always assumed that moonshining was illegal everywhere.

Archie, MO, is close to Garden City, MO, where the country singer Tyler Farr grew up. Farr sings "Redneck Crazy." He's obviously singing from personal experience. The video looks like it was shot in Cass County with some of the local people.

Redneck Crazy - YouTube[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYXHS3OWdKo

Last edited by RDM66; 06-05-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City