Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:28 AM

536 posts, read 830,631 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't sweat this at all. If I've learned anything from 'The Walking Dead' it's that in the event of a Zombie Apocalypse you want all the rednecks you can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Can zombies be over yet?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,390,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Can zombies be over yet?
They move slowly. Please be patient.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM

455 posts, read 772,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Yes, Leawood would be one of the best matches for anyone moving to the Kansas City metro area from New England. The built environment, architecture in many of the established neighborhoods, lot sizes, median household income, educational attainment are all criteria that match up well. It is just amazing that Johnson County can feature cities so completely opposite from one another like Leawood and Gardner. NOTHING at all in common between them just like Prairie Village has next to nothing in common with Olathe.

That's for damn sure, the two have almost zero in common -- and Prairie Village is definitely not redneck.

Prairie Village, KS Highlights

Well-Paid Single Men
(vs. State) Top 2% Prairie Village Well-Paid Single Men
Median Family Income
(vs. State) Top 3% Prairie Village Median Family Income
College Educated Adults
(vs. Peers) Top 4% Prairie Village College Educated Adults
Well-Paid Single Women
(vs. Peers) Top 4% Prairie Village Well-Paid Single Women
Low Rates of Poverty
(vs. Peers) Top 5% Prairie Village Low Rate of Poverty
Public Transportation Use
(vs. State) Top 10% Prairie Village Public Transportation Use
Low Violent Crime
(vs. Peers) Top 13% Prairie Village Low Violent Crime

Cities and Towns closest matched to Prairie Village, KS

1. Fox Point, Wisconsin 92.1%
2. Webster Groves, Missouri 89.3%
3. Upper Arlington, Ohio 89.2%
4. Edina, Minnesota 87%
5. Creve Coeur, Missouri 86.2%
6. Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania 84%
7. Exeter, New Hampshire 83.1%

Cities and Towns closest matched to Olathe, KS

1. Murray, Utah 86.1%
2. Prattville, Alabama 84.3%
3. Hazelwood, Missouri 84.3%
4. Janesville, Wisconsin 81.8%
4. Cedar Rapids, Iowa 81%
5. Henderson, Nevada 81%
6. Farmers Branch, Texas 80.2%
7. Warr Acres, Oklahoma, 80%

Probably the least redneck areas of KCMO.

Sunset Hill, KCMO
Wornall Homestead, KCMO
Western 49-63, KCMO
Romanelli West, KCMO
South Plaza, KCMO
Country Club Plaza, KCMO
Volker, KCMO
Westport, KCMO

Last edited by Alpha_Dog; 06-12-2013 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 04:07 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
I think having a redneck quotient is not a totally bad thing in Kansas City. It shows that to some degree the area has stayed true to its origins. When I go to old mining towns in Colorado that have become havens for hippies, hipsters and “trustafarians” the city seems like a stage for a bunch of actors. Perhaps its also shows that the; urbanites, progressives and the rednecks have found common ground. At least it seemed that way back when I was working in the KCK industrial area known as fairfax.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:53 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
Top 10 closest matched Cities and Towns to Kansas City, Kansas
1. Akron, Ohio 90.3%
2. Elkhart, Indiana 89.9%
3. Toledo, Ohio 89.1%
4. Pontiac, Michigan 88.7%
5. Jackson, Michigan 88%
6. Corsicana, Texas 88.6%
7. Texas City, Texas 88.2%
8. Jackson, Michigan 88%
9. Odessa, Texas 88%
10. Forrest City, Arkansas 87.6 %
Is one of those Jackson MS? Because that is probably the only city on that list that reminds me of KCK and even that is a stretch because eveb Downtown Jackson has more going on than Downtown KCK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techwired View Post
Closest matched Cities and Towns to Kansas City, MO.

1. Indianapolis, Indiana 94.8%
2. Tulsa, Oklahoma 93.4 %
3. Little Rock, Arkansas 93.2%
4. Columbus, Ohio 92.9%
5. Nashville, Tennessee 91.9%
6. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 91.5%
7. Tampa, Florida 91.3%
8. Wichita, Kansas 91%
9. Memphis, Tennessee 90.6%
10. Winston-Salem, North Carolina 90.6% tied w/Memphis

Honorable Mentions:

St. Paul, Minnesota 25th at 88.9%
Denver, Colorado 28th at 88.6%
Cincinnati, Ohio was 37th at 87.9%
Minneapolis, Minnesota 47th at 86.4
Milwaukee, Wisconsin was 52nd at 86.2%
Don't see how you can compare KCMO to any city and make any sense out of it because KC is a city with two heads. Is there a way to compare KCMO using only the Jackson County portion (preferably inside of 435)? If you did that, I think Cincy, Milwaukee, Omaha, Denver and Columbus would be most similar just based on experience with Omaha being the closest. Omaha is just a mini KCMO (south of river).

Old 06-13-2013, 02:17 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,168,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think Cincy, Milwaukee, Omaha, Denver and Columbus would be most similar just based on experience with Omaha being the closest. Omaha is just a mini KCMO (south of river).
I don't get it. As you know, Omaha and Columbus both have huge post-war suburban annexations, too.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
I don't get it. As you know, Omaha and Columbus both have huge post-war suburban annexations, too.
Trying to compare apples to apples. Not looking at far flung annexed areas of any of the cities. That just throws everything off.

I don't think KC is just like Omaha, I think it's a cross between Omaha, Cincy, Denver etc.

Again just talking about the original urban areas of the cities.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,168,681 times
Quote:
Trying to compare apples to apples. Not looking at far flung annexed areas of any of the cities. That just throws everything off.

I don't think KC is just like Omaha, I think it's a cross between Omaha, Cincy, Denver etc.

Again just talking about the original urban areas of the cities.
Ah. Got it.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:38 PM

455 posts, read 772,317 times
Quote:
Is one of those Jackson MS? Because that is probably the only city on that list that reminds me of KCK and even that is a stretch because eveb Downtown Jackson has more going on than Downtown KCK.

Don't see how you can compare KCMO to any city and make any sense out of it because KC is a city with two heads. Is there a way to compare KCMO using only the Jackson County portion (preferably inside of 435)? If you did that, I think Cincy, Milwaukee, Omaha, Denver and Columbus would be most similar just based on experience with Omaha being the closest. Omaha is just a mini KCMO (south of river).

KCMO you bring up several good points along with some interesting insight regarding this. I'm going do a couple different models/workups this weekend using Jackson County (entire county) and inside the 435, and see what comes up. One thing to remember that Omaha's Black population is only 13.7% compared to KCMO at 30.3% and Jackson County, MO black population is 24.1%. Omaha has less poverty, lower unemployment rates, higher household income levels, and Omaha is slightly more educated than KCMO - travel times to work in Omaha are ranked as one of the best in the nation as well. They're definitely some differences between the two cities (including Religion) and Omaha still matched up pretty closely to Kansas City --13th place at 90.2%, with Cincy pretty close as well at 88%. I'll post some updates along with any new findings this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City