Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 04:13 AM

13 posts, read 57,383 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Newbie here. I'm so glad I found this resource; it's amazingly helpful.

My husband is currently looking seriously at a job in North Kansas City. I'm wondering what areas I should be checking out for houses. We have two school-aged kids. I have heard KC schools are not the best.

What I'm looking for are family-friendly neighborhoods with good school districts. I'm not tied to staying in North Kansas City so any advice about surrounding towns/districts in a fifteen-mile radius would be greatly appreciated.

He's also up for a job in Wisconsin, so I'm posting this in that area as well. We are currently in the St. Louis area, so the KC job would be an easier move for us.

Looking forward to your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 07:41 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
I'm assuming that the job is actually in North Kansas City, a small town of about 5000 people. It can be confusing because sometimes, people call anything north of the Missouri river north Kansas City.

The city of North Kansas City itself is a very neat little town. It's schools are in the North Kansas City school district, which are NOT to be confused with the Kansas City school district....they are two COMPLETELY different things.
You might check out Northgate Village, it's a great new developement in North KC. The houses are pretty close together, but you can literally walk to anyplace in town.
North KC also has a great community center with indoor pools, a walking track, rock climbing wall, basketball courts, etc.
There's a website for NKC which will tell you all about the town.

If you want more of a yard, Gladstone is just north of there. It's a nice, clean town, and it has much more of a "suburban" feel to it. It's in the North KC district, as well.
Platte County is another area you might look into, it's not far from NKC.

Also, the parts of Kansas City, proper, which are north of the river, are NOT in the Kansas City School district. They will be in any number of districts (4 or 5, I think), all of which are good. Some, like Liberty and Park Hill, are considered to be excellent districts.

Last edited by northbound74; 11-11-2007 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Hi,
yes, I think North Kansas City is the actual city. Thank you for the information!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:21 AM

20 posts, read 80,154 times
North KC Schools was great when we lived there about 4 years ago...

Old 11-12-2007, 01:13 PM

Good to know. Thank you!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:05 PM

123 posts, read 451,179 times
Just a point to note, if your husband actually works in North Kansas City, you may want to avoid living in Kansas City. Many areas north of the river, even up to the Liberty area, where I live, have a Kansas City address. If you live or work in KC you are subject to a 1% earnings tax. So, if your husband works in NKC and you want to avoid the earnings tax, you may want to look in a city that is not Kansas City. Like I mentioned, I live in Liberty and have 2 school aged children. The Liberty school district is outstanding and Liberty is a great town, not just a suburb of KC, with a wonderful history, town square, historic homes and college. Lots of people live here and work in North Kansas City - my husband does - as it is an easy commute to NKC.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:05 AM

Betsy, thank you for the information. Liberty is now on my list of areas to check out!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
I would go with North Kansas City or Parkville. Parkville has the best school district in the KCMO metro area. BTW while in NKC, be sure to try Chappell's Sports Bar and Grill for dinner...they are really good.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:43 PM

15 posts, read 72,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I'm assuming that the job is actually in North Kansas City, a small town of about 5000 people. It can be confusing because sometimes, people call anything north of the Missouri river north Kansas City.

The city of North Kansas City itself is a very neat little town. It's schools are in the North Kansas City school district, which are NOT to be confused with the Kansas City school district....they are two COMPLETELY different things.
You might check out Northgate Village, it's a great new developement in North KC. The houses are pretty close together, but you can literally walk to anyplace in town.
North KC also has a great community center with indoor pools, a walking track, rock climbing wall, basketball courts, etc.
There's a website for NKC which will tell you all about the town.

If you want more of a yard, Gladstone is just north of there. It's a nice, clean town, and it has much more of a "suburban" feel to it. It's in the North KC district, as well.
Platte County is another area you might look into, it's not far from NKC.

Also, the parts of Kansas City, proper, which are north of the river, are NOT in the Kansas City School district. They will be in any number of districts (4 or 5, I think), all of which are good. Some, like Liberty and Park Hill, are considered to be excellent districts.
what's the website for NKC? thanks

Old 11-18-2007, 06:24 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsie44 View Post
what's the website for NKC? thanks
Here it is--City of North Kansas City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City