Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times

Advertisements

Yep, I was very at home with the culture and mentality in KC...just as I was and am in Chicago. I am now on a Navy base, of course, so that's quite a bit different in terms of culture, but it's a fun adventure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The prevailing culture and mentality of the KC region is its best feature and what I miss the most.
What is KC's "prevailing culture". KC doesn't really seem much different than most other large metros. I think the biggest difference I have found is that people don't really walk or bike much. Everybody is always in there cars, even in the central city with the exception of maybe the plaza.

But as far as culture, KC just seems "average".

Old 10-17-2013, 10:35 AM

991 posts, read 1,110,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What is KC's "prevailing culture". KC doesn't really seem much different than most other large metros. I think the biggest difference I have found is that people don't really walk or bike much. Everybody is always in there cars, even in the central city with the exception of maybe the plaza.

But as far as culture, KC just seems "average".
I think KC has a lot of culture - we have an arts scene that is a lot more vibrant than most cities our size. We have excellent galleries on both sides of the state line. We have a world-class performing arts center. We have rich benefactors who contribute quite a bit to the fine arts, making our city a great regional hub. Our symphony is very good. We have rabid sports followers (though I recently have decided to give up following sports). We have more restaurants per square mile than many other metros our size. Our zoo has been improving mightily and is very good. We appreciate good architecture.

As for biking and hiking, we are improving. We have some great trails throughout the metro for both now. We have a lot of great parks...Mill Creek is one of my favorites but I also like Shawnee Mission Park, Swope, Penn Valley, Antioch, and Legacy Park out in Lees Summit.

The biggest problem KC faces is that its residents always want it to be something bigger or better than it is. We compare ourselves to Denver or the Twin Cities, but we are not as big as those cities. Besides, why do we want to be like somebody else; why not be happy with what makes us different? The quality of living here is probably just as good as those cities, though...life is what you make of it I guess...

Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 AM

Yes, I wasn’t downing KC when I said average. I mean compared to major metro areas, it’s average. In some areas like the arts, I think KC is above average, especially for comparably sized metros. But there no extreme culture in KC like I don’t think it’s overly religious or conservative or anything, although most people outside of KC assume the area is like that.

As far as parks etc. Sure KC has some, but they are mostly suburban and nothing that any other metro area doesn’t have in their suburbs. But compared to other urban areas, KC is really very different. There just are not as many people “out” enjoying nature and the city. My kids say it every time we are in town. “where is everybody at”. That doesn’t mean KC is dead or that there are no parks to take advantage of, it’s just the parks it does have are very underutilized (except a few small ones like Loose and Mill Creek) and there just are very few people out on bikes, on sidewalks etc. It can be a beautiful Saturday afternoon and most of downtown and midtown will seem somewhat empty of life outside a little bit of traffic and maybe a few bikes or peds, just nothing like a typical urban area of nearly any size now that will be full of traffic and people all the time. People don’t go into the city in KC to enjoy parks, bike trails, etc, while that is a major attraction in most urban centers now.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yes, I wasn’t downing KC when I said average. I mean compared to major metro areas, it’s average.
We probably shouldn't compare the 29th/30th biggest metro in America to the top 10 or 15 biggest metros in America. They have advantages based on size that we just don't have; that said, our size gives us advantages as well...let's face it we are a "most bang for the buck" city. If you look at MSAs ranked 25th through 35th and call that our "class", we rank pretty well in a lot of categories, particularly the arts. We should strive to do well in that class - against cities like Indy, Cleveland, Cincy, Columbus, Charlotte, etc. rather than trying to compare ourselves to much larger cities.

Let's just worry about being what we are, and not try to be something we are not.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:10 AM

^ I didn't say that. I stated that KC is average to above average compared to its peers (like the cities you listed). Honestly, I think KC offers an attraction and culture package better than almost every city its size and many much larger metros.

The only area where KC falls below average is urban recreation and in that area, KC often trails cities much smaller. Tulsa, Des Moines, Little Rock, Omaha for example have a more active urban recreational scene. (very busy levee trails, urban parks, destination ped bridges, bike trails that go places). Take it as constructive criticism, It's just one of the things KC needs to work on.

Again, when I said "average" I'm talking about the people. People are generally the same everywhere, but KC is not overly religious or annoying tree hugging, just average. I think if KC did have a comprehensive urban recreation network of trails, parks etc, people would use them. Right now KC just has a handful of disconnected, often isolated parks and not much of a stand alone bike/ped network even though it should with all the rivers, boulevards, parks etc that can be utilized.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Again, when I said "average" I'm talking about the people. People are generally the same everywhere, but KC is not overly religious or annoying tree hugging, just average. I think if KC did have a comprehensive urban recreation network of trails, parks etc, people would use them. Right now KC just has a handful of disconnected, often isolated parks and not much of a stand alone bike/ped network even though it should with all the rivers, boulevards, parks etc that can be utilized.
As far as the bike trail network, as an avid biker I know they are working on this. Indian Creek and Tomahawk Trails run from southern regions of Olathe and OP all of the way to Wornall and 103rd. Unfortunately, there is a big gap from Wornall/103rd to the Trolley Track Trail...which will run you all the way to the Plaza and is very heavily trafficked. If they can shore up that gap, you would safely have a run from OP/Olathe to the Plaza area. As it stands now, you have about 1.5 to 2 miles of no trail between that run...but some of it has sidewalks. From the plaza, mill creek park easily gets you to Westport...as for getting downtown that's a bit more of an issue, though there are plenty of sidewalks to get you from Westport to Liberty Memorial..

The Indian Creek/Tomahawk trails connect a bunch of parks (though not urban). Loose Park connects the plaza to Brookside and Mill Creek connects the plaza to Westport. The trolley track trail is a very popular urban greenway that connects a significant portion of the city together. Considering that most people would rather spend their free time in the plaza area than downtown, it makes sense that this is more developed. The main issue is that for many people, The Plaza is more fun than downtown on a random weekend day.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:28 PM

Until about an hour ago, KC used to have a great locally owned craft brewery...now Boulevard has, for all intents and purposes, been sold to the Belgians.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:32 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
^ I didn't say that. I stated that KC is average to above average compared to its peers (like the cities you listed). Honestly, I think KC offers an attraction and culture package better than almost every city its size and many much larger metros.

The only area where KC falls below average is urban recreation and in that area, KC often trails cities much smaller. Tulsa, Des Moines, Little Rock, Omaha for example have a more active urban recreational scene. (very busy levee trails, urban parks, destination ped bridges, bike trails that go places). Take it as constructive criticism, It's just one of the things KC needs to work on.

No, they are not. But that's your perspective since you've lived east of the Rockies all your life.

I probably would have said the same thing 40 years ago. Then, 40 years ago next month, I moved from upstate New York to this Bay Area. And the culture shock I experienced then was but a fraction of what it is today.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 AM

455 posts, read 772,198 times
Default People are generally the same everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
No, they are not. But that's your perspective since you've lived east of the Rockies all your life.

I probably would have said the same thing 40 years ago. Then, 40 years ago next month, I moved from upstate New York to this Bay Area. And the culture shock I experienced then was but a fraction of what it is today.

Totally agree with you on this one CrownVic-- I grew up on the Peninsula, 15 miles south of SF and it's a completely world from anything in Kansas City - Midwest Region, Southern US, Mid Atlantic and 90% of the East Coast.

"People are generally the same everywhere" Tell that to the people who live in SF, Silicon Valley, Coastal SoCal, Seattle, and Honolulu, if there culture and lifestyle is the same as the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City