Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:31 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, you just shrug off the difference between a 45min and a 15min commute?

Considering the guy has kids, would you reconsider your input?
It depends on the trade off. Is a better school/ housing situation worth the extra hour per day? Coming from NJ 45 minutes may seem normal. Last year in New York I needed to give myself 30 minutes to get to an appointment that was one mile away and another 15 minutes to find parking. It’s all going to be relative. You can hit commuter traffic from Miami co. going north in the morning. I wouldn't be suprised if people from Linn or Bourbon co commute to KC. I have a relative who works with someone who commutes from Neosho Co. to KCK . These are people who obviously think the trade off is worth it. I came close to taking a job last year that had a 80 mile commute.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 10-13-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 03:28 PM

29 posts, read 39,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I see this thread and wonder if you got the job that I interviewed for and was passed over.... LOL Hope you enjoy it there. Looks like a good place!

You a tax attorney?

Old 10-13-2013, 03:30 PM

29 posts, read 39,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It depends on the trade off. Is a better school/ housing situation worth the extra hour per day? Coming from NJ 45 minutes may seem normal. Last year in New York I needed to give myself 30 minutes to get to an appointment that was one mile away and another 15 minutes to find parking. It’s all going to be relative. You can hit commuter traffic from Miami co. going north in the morning. I wouldn't be suprised if people from Linn or Bourbon co commute to KC. I have a relative who works with someone who commutes from Neosho Co. to KCK . These are people who obviously think the trade off is worth it. I came close to taking a job last year that had a 80 mile commute.

Its all a balance, really. Wife is committed to the kids going to the very best rated school in the area. We will then buy the nicest house we can find that is tied to that school...and that's my commute

Old 10-13-2013, 05:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambamboo1 View Post
Its all a balance, really. Wife is committed to the kids going to the very best rated school in the area. We will then buy the nicest house we can find that is tied to that school...and that's my commute
In that case, I reiterate my advice to check out the Blue Valley School District. I think it's admirable of your wife to want the very best school for the kids, and admirable of you to be willing to commute further if necessary so your wife can have the kids in the best school.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
The best Nationaly ranked high school in the metro is Sumer Academy but nobody wants to live near that school.. trust me.
Top Kansas High Schools | Best High Schools | US News

Old 10-13-2013, 06:56 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
The best Nationaly ranked high school in the metro is Sumer Academy but nobody wants to live near that school.. trust me.
Top Kansas High Schools | Best High Schools | US News
Yep. Sumner's not a public school though. And right behind that is Blue Valley.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Sumner actually IS a public school..just like all magnets.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
I'm a transplant from Chicago that used to have over an hour commute each way so I'm well aware of the transition.

It will boil down to personal preference and ultimately the decision of the OP.

Just throwing in my 2 cents that adding 1/2hour or more to each days commute when IMO BV schools aren't really any better or enough better to warrant it.

If we were talking about other parts of the metro then I would completely agree to take the longer commute.

The poster is free to do some research on school quality and come to their own informed decision.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:32 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yep. Sumner's not a public school though. And right behind that is Blue Valley.
Yep, BV is more uniformly upper-middle class than some of the other schools in the area.

Other parts of JOCO have larger immigrant populations that are uneducated which pulls down the test scores,while the large pockets of east asian immigrants whose parents are math\science\computer types reside south of 435.

It really shows up in the % taking AP tests etc.

So, at that point it boils down to the kid because a gifted student is still going to have all the access to AP, IB etc. and no one is running around stabbing kids in the hall at the other JOCO schools.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:13 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
I don’t care where you are from, the commute from Blue Valley (especially southern Blue Valley where it’s more affluent) would be a ridiculous commute to the KCI area, especially when you have equally great schools near KCI (Park Hill, Platte etc) and plenty of other choices between (Western Shawnee Mission etc).

Trust me. As person that has a 1 hour plus commute each way, you might reconsider what’s in the best interest of your family because you don’t have to do that kind of commute in KC for the “best” schools in your situation.

Blue Valley has higher test scores than some other really good suburban school districts in the metro just because Blue Valley is so ultra new/white collar/affluent. There is just nothing down in that area to offset and give the district a little bit of a reality check. Like I have always said, it’s easy for a district like that to have high test scores, it should be a given.

But when you have even 10% of your students that are not from affluent sheltered homes and you are still able to maintain excellent educational results (like Shawnee Mission, Park Hill, Lee’s Summit etc) that’s where you know the schools are working well.

Personally, I would want my kids exposed to at least “some” diversity (be it racial, economical, social etc) so they don’t leave high school with a very skewed and misunderstood viewpoint of reality and people in general.

But there is a segment of the population that needs to be in the statistically “best” area for their kids for that piece of mind I guess. If that’s the case, do not look anywhere else and just get you a house at 175th and Quivira and you will be in good company.

Personally, I would reduce my commute and find an amazing home (probably for a little less money and in a more desirable area topographically) that would be closer not only work and KCI if you fly a lot, but also most things in KC that you might want to take advantage of culturally.

Hope you are happy where ever you end up and good luck in KC. I Don’t know what part of Jersey you are from, but nearly all of metro KC, even some areas that locals wouldn’t recommend, might be a step up for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City