Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 11:07 AM

377 posts, read 570,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The point you're missing is that a much greater portion of the population learns to be a$$holes in a place like the Bay area than in the KC area. Or do you think all a$$holes are born and not made?
I don't know. Where were you made? As for being on your ignore list, it's not a loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 12:06 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,728,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
It likely has a lot to do with the extremely competitive rat race economy of the Bay Area, high population density, and high cost of living. There you have it, a trifecta. Also, I've found NYC people to be more friendly than those in the Bay Area.
Those are all factors.

But, from my unfortunately long experience here, the biggest factor of all is that the natives are never taught any manners in the first place - ever. So very different from the culture throughout the Midwest.

I've been here long enough to know within 5 minutes where a person is from - or not from - upon meeting them for the first time. And my hunch is right 19 times out of 20. If they are loud, if they are shallow, if they are....shall we say....rough around the edges....yep, Bay Area born and raised. If they are polished, well educated, well spoken, well mannered, well dressed, and well groomed, they are transplants - usually recent ones - from the Midwest, Northeast, or less frequently even San Diego.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:16 PM

75 posts, read 144,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Those are all factors.

But, from my unfortunately long experience here, the biggest factor of all is that the natives are never taught any manners in the first place - ever. So very different from the culture throughout the Midwest.

I've been here long enough to know within 5 minutes where a person is from - or not from - upon meeting them for the first time. And my hunch is right 19 times out of 20. If they are loud, if they are shallow, if they are....shall we say....rough around the edges....yep, Bay Area born and raised. If they are polished, well educated, well spoken, well mannered, well dressed, and well groomed, they are transplants - usually recent ones - from the Midwest, Northeast, or less frequently even San Diego.
I couldn't rep you but you've described Orange County to a "T" as well.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:51 PM

29 posts, read 39,778 times
Ok, so we spent Thursday and Friday in KCMO area and looked at a number of areas in both Parkville and Overland Park. We saw about 25 houses and enjoyed some great BBQ.

The commute from southern Blue Valley to the airport would be a drag but the amenities and schools seemed great.

We have a couple of favorite houses in both Missouri and Kansas. Contrary to some posts, the roads were good and bad in both both states and the people were uniformly polite, friendly and helpful. My kids loved the huge houses with great basements and everything seem so cheap there.

I can't wait to come and join you and all the great folks we met who were not the slightest bit hung up over any Ks/Mo rivalry...

As for the most pointless argument in the world...? That could be the "all people are the same/all people are different...everywhere" discussion...you're all 100% right because you all understand that qualitative statement in your own unique way.

Love Kansas City...want my kids to grow up there. Take that as a compliment

Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambamboo1 View Post
Ok, so we spent Thursday and Friday in KCMO area and looked at a number of areas in both Parkville and Overland Park. We saw about 25 houses and enjoyed some great BBQ.

The commute from southern Blue Valley to the airport would be a drag but the amenities and schools seemed great.

We have a couple of favorite houses in both Missouri and Kansas. Contrary to some posts, the roads were good and bad in both both states and the people were uniformly polite, friendly and helpful. My kids loved the huge houses with great basements and everything seem so cheap there.

I can't wait to come and join you and all the great folks we met who were not the slightest bit hung up over any Ks/Mo rivalry...

As for the most pointless argument in the world...? That could be the "all people are the same/all people are different...everywhere" discussion...you're all 100% right because you all understand that qualitative statement in your own unique way.

Glad you love Kansas City. It is definitely a great place for kids to grow up! How soon will you be transferring?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:

The relative inexpensiveness is really, really a great thing, IMO, and really enhances quality of life.

Now that we're temporarily in the Chicago area (will return to KC after this tour, mostly likely, as we own a home in JoCo), the COL differential is notable...but since we have military housing allowance, we have a big, nice house for a pittance while we're on-base. But KC is such a bargain, in comparison, overall.

Quote:
Seriously, this crap DOES NOT EXIST, except on messageboards, in my experience. People might THINK "Oh, where I live is better," but nobody says it. I have literally not once had it ever come up in real life, except in a very tongue-in-cheek manner. But, then, I don't really hang out with crazies or d-bags, so there's that, which doubtless colors my perspective.

Quote:
It's an amazing place for a family, for sure.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Glad you love Kansas City. It is definitely a great place for kids to grow up! How soon will you be transferring?
I start my new job in KCMO in Jan. Just put the NJ house on the market today. Coming back to KC in a couple of weeks to choose a house...probably Blue Valley. So tempting to buy a mansion but I'll be sensible (I hope) and buy somewhere and be without a mortgage for the first time since my 20s

:0)

Old 11-27-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
I start my new job in KCMO in Jan. Just put the NJ house on the market today. Coming back to KC in a couple of weeks to choose a house...probably Blue Valley. So tempting to buy a mansion but I'll be sensible (I hope) and buy somewhere and be without a mortgage for the first time since my 20s

:0)
Sold the house very quickly. Found a house in Overland Park. Spent a little more than I intended but we now have a house that is ready for my wife, kids and dogs to move into. Everyone has been so friendly and helpful, the Chiefs game was awesome on Sunday (despite the defeat) and I think we're going to fit in just fine.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:05 AM

210 posts, read 428,767 times
Quote:
Sold the house very quickly. Found a house in Overland Park. Spent a little more than I intended but we now have a house that is ready for my wife, kids and dogs to move into. Everyone has been so friendly and helpful, the Chiefs game was awesome on Sunday (despite the defeat) and I think we're going to fit in just fine.
Awesome! Welcome to KC!

Old 11-29-2013, 09:46 AM

15 posts, read 45,723 times
sounds like maybe you better pick a state to declare your fierce loyalty too also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City