Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:12 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yes, very nice post trilingual1946. You see. You can actually post about metro KC from a JoCo perspective without backhanded comments about the MO side. You didn't mention crime, terrible schools, trashed yards or any of that. You even seemed to have some basic knowledge of areas of the Mo side outside of the Plaza. And you will get nothing but praise from anybody on both sides of the state line for doing so. If everybody from JoCo spoke like this there would be zero tension or resentment in metro kc.

I have to step back once in a while and remember what KC does offer and as the author of the sticky post on top the KC forum, it's not like I don't know what KC offers and don't know how to promote KC as the underrated metro it is.

However, I do still think that KC lacks recreation. Sure it has recreation, but it is lacking compared to most major cities, especially "urban" recreation. That doesn't mean that if you are into that you can't do it in KC, it's just not like most major cities and nothing like what the DC area offers, not even close. It is what it is. But there are a few nice suburban parks, bike trails and a few nice urban parks. But everything else you said is dead on. Moving from Montgomery County MD to Johnson County KS won't be a huge culture shock or anything unless they never leave JoCo. Montgomery County has a lot of things that you would need to head to KCMO to do in you lived in JoCo. But driving to KCMO from JoCo is probably easier than driving from Germantown to Bethesda or Rockville in Mont County.

Talk about backhanded! I made one comment in this thread with none of my own opinion at all, yet you felt it necessary to post this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 11:20 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,087,707 times
I'm an NJ native transplanted to MO and I really like Overland Park. I think it felt more like home (NJ) to me than any other place in the KCMO area.

The Kansas City and surrounding suburbs ares diverse as compared to the rest of MO/KS. Compared to DC it is not going to feel that way though. And while KC has many amenities and positives to it, it is definitely smaller than our East coast cities.

OP I would encourage you to consider coming out for a week or so to visit, and see how it feels to you. It's a big decision to make! My other advice would be to not buy right away if you do relocate; rent for a year or two and make sure this is where you want to be for the long term.

Best of luck!

Old 12-07-2013, 12:33 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
I agree with josh. KCMO, you've got so much knowledge, and so many good ideas. Could you and luzianne agree to stop turning every thread on KCMO vs. JoCo into a shooting war so that we can have more substantive discussions like this one? Because you're right. KC needs more recreational infrastructure woven into the existing fabric of roads, paths, etc. But it'll only happen if we can stop the cross-border bitching that's so common.

Whaddaya say? Can't we all just get along?
The thing is, I didn't even post anything in this thread except to agree with another poster's post. And then kcmo had to bring up all this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City