Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 12:37 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,570,250 times

Advertisements

Okay... I work the off shift so I don't have get out much in the evenings (basically never since I'm working then). My circle of friends are from work/college... where do I find people in the middle of the day (8am to 1pm) up in the northland area? I'm avoiding the gyms because I don't do them and would rather not try to interrupt people at a gym either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM

709 posts, read 1,496,774 times
Hmmm, that's tough because:
1. I don't think too many young adults are hanging out between 8am and 1pm and
2. I don't think of the Northland as being a great area for young adult hangouts

The main thing I could think of would be coffee shops. I don't know of anyone good ones up north, but if you want to come down to the city there are plenty of good ones around Midtown/Westport like Broadway Cafe, Filling Station, Mud Pie to name a few.

If you're looking for somewhere to have a drink, DB Cooper's on 39th St opens early and I know some people who work the night shift at hospitals will go there after work in the morning.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,692,323 times
Yeah, the Northland isn't a hotbed of single people hangouts...the few 20-30something singles I've known who live north of the river seem to go out downtown...quality hill area and crossroads, mostly.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,570,250 times
hm yeah, seems like it lol. I also work the night shift at a hospital. I may bring clothes and check out oak park mall in a week or so, when it's "warmer". I want to just hang out with people my age and not have them needing to go back to work because we are just meeting up during their lunch break. The ones that I've met so far are mostly stay at home parents (mothers and fathers). I feel a bit out of place since I'm not good with the kids. I can play with them and take care of them but it isn't the same as just "hanging" out to me. It's almost like I'm pet sitting, except with humans.

I'm not into drinking so I only go to bars with friends since it's odd going to one and having just water/tea/etc by yourself. And I feel bad since a few times they insist that I don't pay because I'm not drinking alcohol. Even though I would have ordered the same if I went somewhere that wasn't bar and paid there.

Hm... there should be a night shifters thread on here so we can find each other! I love working nights so I won't be talked out of it. But it's hard to find other people off work. Great to do everything thing else though, I can shop/catch movie/anything I need with no one else around. But I can only meet up with people during their lunch breaks mostly.

Oh, and I don't care if they are single or not. I am but right now I just want to find other people to talk with. I'm not trying to date anyone either.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 PM

50 posts, read 101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
hm yeah, seems like it lol. I also work the night shift at a hospital. I may bring clothes and check out oak park mall in a week or so, when it's "warmer". I want to just hang out with people my age and not have them needing to go back to work because we are just meeting up during their lunch break. The ones that I've met so far are mostly stay at home parents (mothers and fathers). I feel a bit out of place since I'm not good with the kids. I can play with them and take care of them but it isn't the same as just "hanging" out to me. It's almost like I'm pet sitting, except with humans.

I'm not into drinking so I only go to bars with friends since it's odd going to one and having just water/tea/etc by yourself. And I feel bad since a few times they insist that I don't pay because I'm not drinking alcohol. Even though I would have ordered the same if I went somewhere that wasn't bar and paid there.

Hm... there should be a night shifters thread on here so we can find each other! I love working nights so I won't be talked out of it. But it's hard to find other people off work. Great to do everything thing else though, I can shop/catch movie/anything I need with no one else around. But I can only meet up with people during their lunch breaks mostly.

Oh, and I don't care if they are single or not. I am but right now I just want to find other people to talk with. I'm not trying to date anyone either.
I understand where your coming from. I work the evening shift too 4pm-midnight. Most of my friends work during the day time. I have Mondays and Tuesdays off so i hang out with them after they get off work. As for finding the age group your looking for in the Northland, that might be a little hard. As other posters stated downtown, city market, plaza area is where you'll find them. Not everyone is a drinker or goes clubbing so you'll find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City