Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 04:20 PM

709 posts, read 1,493,232 times

Advertisements

Reiger and Affare are both very good. Affare is small plates, if that's what you specifically want, but I might give the nod to the Reiger for my overall personal preference.

I haven't made it to Novel yet, but I hear many great things about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 04:29 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,579,090 times
Try using TripAdvisor Kansas City. We always have good luck using them.
They break down the restaurants by type and rate them.

Best Kansas City Restaurants: See 220 restaurants in Kansas City, KS with 3,003 reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 09-23-2014, 04:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litefoot View Post
Try using TripAdvisor Kansas City. We always have good luck using them.
They break down the restaurants by type and rate them.

Best Kansas City Restaurants: See 220 restaurants in Kansas City, KS with 3,003 reviews - TripAdvisor
At least use the right city. The "top" restaurants in KCK are mostly suburban chains.

Here:

Best Kansas City, MO Restaurants: See 1,202 restaurants with 21,808 reviews - TripAdvisor Although there are better sites out there for urban dining reviews than tripadvisor

Old 09-23-2014, 05:00 PM

I have never tried 801 steakhouse because I thought it was a national chain not based in KC. I looked it up and while they are a chain, they are a small chain with locations only in KC, StL, Des Moines and Omaha.

Anyway. I may just have to give this place a try.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have never tried 801 steakhouse because I thought it was a national chain not based in KC. I looked it up and while they are a chain, they are a small chain with locations only in KC, StL, Des Moines and Omaha.

Anyway. I may just have to give this place a try.
Go tonight and let me know what you think.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:32 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,263,903 times
WiseOwl - Gald to learn you enjoyed Affare and Reiger. We like small plates (and big ones too). The on-line menus look good.

As for TripAdvisor, I'm aware of that website. When it comes to restaurants, the TripAdvisor rankings mix venues like ice cream parlors and bagel shops with Michelin restaurants. I do think it is a useful tool, but some of the higher ranked restaurants where I live are merely places the tourists ranked highly. I've come to appreciate the views of CDers whom I know are real "on the ground" locals. You folks who have been responding from KC are no exception - thanks! You have given us a good variety of places to consider. It looks like we will just have to pick what strikes our fancy from reviewing their websites.

I still have one curiosity: No one has recommended the American Restaurant. Is that because it is too pricey, too dressy, over-rated or all of the above?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:49 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,264,790 times
If you do venture to the suburbs, La Bodega (small plates) is good. It's in Leawood.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
I have a hard time imagining Pierpont's not having prime rib, especially when their downscale sister restaurant, Hereford House, does. I would give them a call and find out for sure.
I think I remember seeing on the menu that they serve prime rib on specific days, like maybe Friday and Sunday or something like that. Don't quote me on that, though.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Go tonight and let me know what you think.
I don't live in KC, I live in Maryland, Annapolis actually. It's going to take all my life just to do 5% of what I want to try in the Annapolis/DC/Baltimore area!

I'll be in KC this weekend. Probably won't hit 801 on this trip though. Actually, I many never eat there. When you are only in a city a few times a year, I just tend to avoid places like that, even if the food is good, it's just not "local" enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
WiseOwl - Gald to learn you enjoyed Affare and Reiger. We like small plates (and big ones too). The on-line menus look good.

I still have one curiosity: No one has recommended the American Restaurant. Is that because it is too pricey, too dressy, over-rated or all of the above?
The American is great. I think you mentioned you wanted something more casual though.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'll be in KC this weekend.
Oh crap!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City