Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:21 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times

Advertisements

My brother came into town tonight, visiting from SF. While he was looking for parking near my apartment building on the Plaza he crossed paths with a roving group of 20-25 teenagers. They completely consumed his car and there was what appeared to be some sort of dispute within the group. Shots were fired and his car got hit by a bullet. He could have gotten killed. He is extremely shaken and to say the least it is a very awful welcome to Kansas City. I'm sick of these kids who come here up to no good and putting innocent people in danger. This has hit very close to home for me. A beautiful place like the Plaza should not be subject to this kind of crap.

Luckily the cops showed up very quickly but at that point they had disappeared, though a similar group appeared again near Winstead's and the cops were right there and it looked like a few people were arrested. Not sure if it was in connection with shooting my brother's car or not.

Sorry just needing to vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 10:59 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
My brother came into town tonight, visiting from SF. While he was looking for parking near my apartment building on the Plaza he crossed paths with a roving group of 20-25 teenagers. They completely consumed his car and there was what appeared to be some sort of dispute within the group. Shots were fired and his car got hit by a bullet. He could have gotten killed. He is extremely shaken and to say the least it is a very awful welcome to Kansas City. I'm sick of these kids who come here up to no good and putting innocent people in danger. This has hit very close to home for me. A beautiful place like the Plaza should not be subject to this kind of crap.

Luckily the cops showed up very quickly but at that point they had disappeared, though a similar group appeared again near Winstead's and the cops were right there and it looked like a few people were arrested. Not sure if it was in connection with shooting my brother's car or not.

Sorry just needing to vent.

He should have just floored it out of there, even if it meant killing someone, his life was threatened when bullets were fired. He could go on CNN later to explain his actions, but we do have a right to act in self-defense

Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
He should have just floored it out of there, even if it meant killing someone, his life was threatened when bullets were fired. He could go on CNN later to explain his actions, but we do have a right to act in self-defense
That's actually exactly what he did. He said he nearly hit three people and almost got into an accident flying out of it.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Link to news report?

Old 06-20-2015, 11:43 PM

203 posts, read 511,747 times
there won't be a link. Happens every weekend on the Plaza. The mayor has enacted a curfew but too few parents care. And crime in KC? YOU want a link? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Old 06-21-2015, 04:19 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
I'm not very familiar with that area. The Plaza seems nice. How close is it to the "bad" part of town? I'm assuming the thugs just walk over.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Link to news report?
Man says brother was surrounded and shot at by teens near the plaza | fox4kc.com

Old 06-21-2015, 10:48 PM

290 posts, read 346,740 times
I'm sorry to hear that. It's unfortunate these things continue to happen. Too many kids from the East Side continue to head over to the Plaza during the weekends up to no good.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:37 AM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
I love the Plaza, but the city has let this go so far that there might be a mass exodus in the near future. Halls and Pottery Barn may have wanted to get out before the breaking point. Both already had safer locations elsewhere in the metro. The owners of the Plaza have let the best of the upscale options either locate in JoCo in the first place or just move to JoCo after their lease is up.

Losing all support from department store anchors over the past 30 years definitely hasn't helped the plaza. Long gone are Halls, Sak's, Sears, Woolworth, Harzfeld's and the rest. The problem is that none of the buildings are big enough to support a national department store. At least according to Sak's, who conveniently left Denver (where their stores were larger so they couldn't pull that excuse) at the same time.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:54 AM

203 posts, read 511,747 times
I just watched it on the morning news. Yes it's the "wannabe thugs" doing it. I don't even go to the Plaza anymore. Overpriced restaurants, stores, I'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City