Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:35 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,610 times

Advertisements

What about a bedroom community? Paola, Louisburg. Or perhaps even De Soto? Many people live in the outlying little towns and commute to KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 08:08 AM

78,447 posts, read 60,652,129 times
OP, there are LOTS of great neighborhoods all around the metro.

I'd focus on something that matches up with your spouses work as others have suggested like if they travel a lot then don't live down in the southern\eastern parts of the Metro.

If they commute daily and work in downtown KC then think hard before moving somewhere like far southern overland park etc. etc. etc.

I would not sweat the tax situation of KS\MO at all. You're in for such a pleasant reverse sticker shock in terms of cost of living none of that will really matter.

Focus on proximity for work, good schools and a liveable neighborhood that fits your family shouldn't be hard to find after that.

I moved to the KS burbs almost 20 years ago from Chicago and the KC-metro is a wonderful blend of big city amenities without the crushing cost, traffic etc.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times
I moved to the KS burbs almost 20 years ago from Chicago and the KC-metro is a wonderful blend of big city amenities without the crushing cost, traffic etc.

Bingo - boingo - bango! You hit the nail on the proverbial head with that statement - the KC Metro was our home (Grandview, MO) for a year and I wouldn't say much negative about it at all. Some violent crime chance exists but that goes with the territory with large metro areas.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:58 PM

15 posts, read 26,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
It will be interesting to hear whether this company has its sights on Missouri locations or Kansas locations. It's possible they don't care, but most people have an opinion one way or another - even those relocating from St Louis. If they seem to have their heart set on Kansas, you'll probably want to look for homes there, and not end up with a 45-min commute from the Northland, Blue Springs or Lee's Summit.

It’s going to be in Kansas City, MO for sure.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:59 PM

15 posts, read 26,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
... Continued ...

Topography

Contrary to popular belief, it's not flat around here, it's mostly gently rolling hills. The Missouri River, in particular, cuts a fairly deep channel and there are parts around it where you actually get some pretty good scenic vistas. One part of the river channel northwest of the city is steep enough that they have a ski resort! But we're not talking black diamond runs, just bunny hills. Also, it's not "plains" grassland around here, it's actually oak forest. That said, when you get into Johnson County (Overland Park) it does get flatter, but still it's (very) gently rolling hills. North of the river tends to have the most hills.

Arts and entertainment

Don't know how much you're into this, but we have:

1. Nelson-Atkins museum of art. If you're even a moderate art lover, you HAVE to check out this place. Especially the Bloch galleries. Lots of very famous artists you'd only expect to see in a city twice KC's size.
2. KC Royals. Won the World Series in 2015, this year they suck.
3. KC Chiefs. They're OK.
4. If you're a soccer fan there's Sporting KC, who play in a stadium near the NASCAR track in KCK ...
5. ... and of course if you're a NASCAR fan we've got a NASCAR track in KCK.

Speaking of "KCK" ...

Local nomenclature

KCK is the local shorthand for Kansas City, KS, and KCMO is the local shorthand for Kansas City, MO. People even put those on letters, and the post office has no problem with them.

And I should mention, you will quickly learn that LOTS of people from outside the area, think that "Kansas City" is in Kansas. We've run across the phenomenon here on this very forum! Before I moved here, after I told everybody in my old job I was moving to Kansas City, a co-worker once told somebody in the office that I was moving to Kansas. "No," I had to tell him, "Kansas City is actually in Missouri." So, you will go from, in Seattle, having to say everything, "Washington state" to avoid confusion with DC, to having to tell a lot of people that Kansas City is in Missouri. And I'm not sure that the existence of KCK makes any difference, it seems that the people who think this don't even know there are two "Kansas Cities."

Probably I'll think of more later. In the meantime, check out my videos I made of KC. Be sure to have your speakers on.

Spring in Kansas City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lNL1-164Cc

Summer in Kansas City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fV0E2Lftao

Fall in Kansas City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqhIJtAHueg

Christmas in Kansas City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbb7lbstcE

Thank you so much! We had no idea about the majority of this stuff! So helpful and detailed!!

Old 06-15-2018, 06:40 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkieapple View Post
It’s going to be in Kansas City, MO for sure.
That helps a bit. But it's literally 50 miles from one corner of KCMO proper to the other. Do you have any more specific information that could narrow it down further?

Old 06-15-2018, 10:29 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,554,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkieapple View Post
Thank you so much! We had no idea about the majority of this stuff! So helpful and detailed!!
You're welcome.

And - seriously - I hope you watch the entirety of all my videos, I capture a lot of KC's attractions in them.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OP, there are LOTS of great neighborhoods all around the metro.

I'd focus on something that matches up with your spouses work as others have suggested like if they travel a lot then don't live down in the southern\eastern parts of the Metro.

If they commute daily and work in downtown KC then think hard before moving somewhere like far southern overland park etc. etc. etc.

I would not sweat the tax situation of KS\MO at all. You're in for such a pleasant reverse sticker shock in terms of cost of living none of that will really matter.

Focus on proximity for work, good schools and a liveable neighborhood that fits your family shouldn't be hard to find after that.

All this. You'll find you have tons of good options, it will just depend on personal taste and preference.

I also completely agree, as an 11-year transplant, that KC hits a sweet spot of preferable amenities common to larger cities, and is relatively devoid of many of the more irksome aspects of city living. I've found it the best of a lot of worlds.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:52 PM

767 posts, read 1,323,690 times
With your budget I would look into northern Leawood or Prairie Village. Both are quiet areas in Kansas with nice homes, good schools, mature trees, and are near the shopping options in KS and because of their proximity to the state line, they have easy access to downtown, The Plaza, Westport, and Zoo.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:17 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,681,610 times
Leawood would be a bit out of the $400,000.00 range wouldn't it? PV is more affordable, and more open and personable to the working family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City