Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:56 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,818,402 times

Advertisements

I did a little poking around and found a few interesting comparisons between KS and MO on income, car, sales and gas taxes.

It appears that Kansas has the higher income tax rate compared to Missouri, along with higher taxes on groceries (6.5% vs 1.2%). I read that Kansas was trying to lower the grocery tax to 5.5%, but I'm not sure if that went through.

Missouri has higher annual personal property taxes on cars, however. It's hard to know their exact formulas, but looking up my car on each Dept of Revenue website gives a very different value that I would need to pay for an 11 year old Honda Accord: MO = $160, KS = $50.

Kansas also has a higher sales tax overall (including county and city taxes) in the KC area (9.125%, 9.6% in OP), compared with Missouri in the KCMO area (8.6%). I realize there are district taxes that can be added as well for the CC Plaza, etc.

Gas is an average of $2.42 in KCMO, same in Overland Park, with the gas tax in MO = 17.4 cents/gallon vs KS = 24.3 cents/gallon.

I was surprised to see how high the taxes are on groceries in Kansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 07:27 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
A couple clarifying points:

Missouri does not charge STATE sales tax on groceries. But you do pay all the city, county and TIF add-ons, which can be 5% or more.

What you pay for personal property taxes is totally dependent on where you live. Since school district taxes are the biggest part of the bill, a high levy is going to make a profound difference in your PP Taxes.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
A couple clarifying points:

Missouri does not charge STATE sales tax on groceries. But you do pay all the city, county and TIF add-ons, which can be 5% or more.

What you pay for personal property taxes is totally dependent on where you live. Since school district taxes are the biggest part of the bill, a high levy is going to make a profound difference in your PP Taxes.
Thanks for your post. Wow, so in Missouri, you can pay 5% tax on groceries (basic food, potatoes, bread, etc)? Is that true for Jackson county (KCMO)?

Old 07-02-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Thanks for your post. Wow, so in Missouri, you can pay 5% tax on groceries (basic food, potatoes, bread, etc)? Is that true for Jackson county (KCMO)?
Yes, and possibly more depending on WHERE you’re shopping. We are taxed to death...and all those “one quarter of one percent for <insert any special tax>” have stacked up and are out of control.

https://dor.mo.gov/pdf/rates/2019/jul2019.pdf

Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Regressive taxes are the absolute worst. I prefer living in areas that either lack a state income tax or have a one flat lower income tax rate. Sales taxes should never exist for grocery food items.. Also, I am not a fan of TIF districts or special taxing districts. Developers need to pay for the full cost of developments, not expect the taxpayers to constantly subsidize them for the privilege of the development itself. Property taxes are more of an inherent local issue, as the vast majority of that category goes to schools. However, the strength or weakness of tax base of the city, town, or unincorporated area plays a role in the overall tax rate- particularly in some states that have "home rule" where smaller towns, townships, small incorporated villages, etc, all have there own school systems, fire, police, etc.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 07-03-2019 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-03-2019, 09:31 PM

Does anyone know if the Kansas legislature lowered the grocery tax in Kansas from 6.5 to 5.5%? There was talk about that, but I don't know if that passed or not.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:59 PM

1,503 posts, read 606,888 times
Since you mentioned cars, there is one big difference: in MO you have to pass an "inspection" every year. In KS - no, do it once after sale, and then forget about that forever. I liked that a lot, since I never have time to do utter nonsense things like "car inspection".

Old 07-08-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Since you mentioned cars, there is one big difference: in MO you have to pass an "inspection" every year. In KS - no, do it once after sale, and then forget about that forever. I liked that a lot, since I never have time to do utter nonsense things like "car inspection".
Yes, I agree. Some of the inspections are just ways for dealers (who do the inspections for free in some states) to just rip people off with bogus repairs due to "failing" the inspection.

On the other hand, I will say that when I lived in Maine, which did have inspections, cars on the road were in much better shape than around here in Michigan, with no inspections. I see duct taped cars all the time on roads, or cars completely without fenders, etc. Really bad cars and trucks with stuff dangling and dragging on roads from their undercarriages as they drive. So in one sense, inspections keep the "junk" cars off of roads, but the rest of us with "good" cars end up getting potentially shafted at a shady dealership for bogus repairs.

Personally, I keep my cars in good repair, so the inspections are just a waste of time (and potentially a waste of money on bogus repairs).

Old 07-08-2019, 09:42 PM

1,503 posts, read 606,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Yes, I agree. Some of the inspections are just ways for dealers (who do the inspections for free in some states) to just rip people off with bogus repairs due to "failing" the inspection.

On the other hand, I will say that when I lived in Maine, which did have inspections, cars on the road were in much better shape than around here in Michigan, with no inspections. I see duct taped cars all the time on roads, or cars completely without fenders, etc. Really bad cars and trucks with stuff dangling and dragging on roads from their undercarriages as they drive. So in one sense, inspections keep the "junk" cars off of roads, but the rest of us with "good" cars end up getting potentially shafted at a shady dealership for bogus repairs.

Personally, I keep my cars in good repair, so the inspections are just a waste of time (and potentially a waste of money on bogus repairs).
Well, it's hard to tell if inspections help to keep junk off the road. In a places where I lived in KS, as well in a place I live now in SE Florida (which also doesn't have inspections) I didn't see bad cars on a road. I guess it more relates to a place where you live/drive than having/not having car "inspection". Again, it's very hard to say for sure. But not having the hassle - priceless

Old 07-08-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Missouri law on inspections was changed several years ago. Vehicles are exempt from inspection for 5 years after manufacture. After that, inspections are required every two years.

Do you ever get your oil changed? I always just tack an inspection on when I’m getting that done, if I need it. Not much of an inconvenience. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City