Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:16 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Why would Kansas City, Kansas and Independence, Missouri be considered, in your words, "more gay friendly?" It is not my intent to argue with you, but I am truly curious as to why you posted your comment regarding Kansas City, Kansas and Independence, Missouri.
Because they are more diverse and the more diverse an area is, the more liberal it usually is which makes it more gay friendly. Johnson County is a nice place but it is probably 96% white Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Because they are more diverse and the more diverse an area is, the more liberal it usually is which makes it more gay friendly. Johnson County is a nice place but it is probably 96% white Republicans.
Johnson County is more diverse these days.

Johnson County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
I suspect gays in a lot of communities are settling down and giving up the bar scene which may explain the "deterioration" in KC. Kansas has a fairly large gay population and a lot of people are in committed relationships, despite those on the "right" (funny how that word has taken on all new meaning) who claim otherwise.

I don't know - every gay friend I have/had who was a native Kansan lives in another state now. Based on the people I've known, most gay Kansans leave the state. Denver's probably a big draw, since it's not that far from home for many people.

The bar scene should still be better in KC because you always have young people "entering the market", so to speak. I don't think many gay people settle down and couple up by age 21!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:22 PM

266 posts, read 831,860 times
And, me being a gay Kansan living in Kansas speaking about gay Kansans living in Kansas makes me ... not a gay ... or not informed ... because you say ...

Well, not to belabor you being SO much more informed about gay Kansans than an actual one of us ... Kansas has a pretty large gay population. The state now has nine LGBT chapters in the Kansas Equality Coalition. Lawrence, KS has a domestic partner registry. For years Wichita had a Women's Art Fair that was a lesbian women's cultural event. (It died when straight women co-opted it and started bringing in hunky soap opera stars none of the regular participants really cared to see.) In the past we've had monthly women's group activities in Wichita that easily drew 100+ women, most in committed relationships, to events which hardly makes us non-existent. Probably, a third to half the gay men I've met are in committed relationships. We even have a fair number of transgendered Kansans. "Settling down" is kind of what we do in the Midwest. It's just a part of our values. I've known couples who've been together 25+ years since their mid-20s. (Maybe not "21!" "entering the market" though. Please send that cmoment to the religious right, btw, to be sure to confirm for them what a bunch of sex fiends we gays are.)

Now, I never said Kansas was gay-friendly and gays do leave Kansas, but a lot of native Kansans leave. My -straight- brother and sister-in-law who live in Dallas continually meet -straight- Kansans who've left the state.

So, based on the people you know, which doesn't include all of us gays living in Kansas ... you're making some really uninformed, sweeping comments not based in fact. But, I'm sure you're right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't know - every gay friend I have/had who was a native Kansan lives in another state now. Based on the people I've known, most gay Kansans leave the state. Denver's probably a big draw, since it's not that far from home for many people.

The bar scene should still be better in KC because you always have young people "entering the market", so to speak. I don't think many gay people settle down and couple up by age 21!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modron View Post
And, me being a gay Kansan living in Kansas speaking about gay Kansans living in Kansas makes me ... not a gay ... or not informed ... because you say ...

Well, not to belabor you being SO much more informed about gay Kansans than an actual one of us ... Kansas has a pretty large gay population. The state now has nine LGBT chapters in the Kansas Equality Coalition. Lawrence, KS has a domestic partner registry. For years Wichita had a Women's Art Fair that was a lesbian women's cultural event. (It died when straight women co-opted it and started bringing in hunky soap opera stars none of the regular participants really cared to see.) In the past we've had monthly women's group activities in Wichita that easily drew 100+ women, most in committed relationships, to events which hardly makes us non-existent. Probably, a third to half the gay men I've met are in committed relationships. We even have a fair number of transgendered Kansans. "Settling down" is kind of what we do in the Midwest. It's just a part of our values. I've known couples who've been together 25+ years since their mid-20s. (Maybe not "21!" "entering the market" though. Please send that cmoment to the religious right, btw, to be sure to confirm for them what a bunch of sex fiends we gays are.)

Now, I never said Kansas was gay-friendly and gays do leave Kansas, but a lot of native Kansans leave. My -straight- brother and sister-in-law who live in Dallas continually meet -straight- Kansans who've left the state.

So, based on the people you know, which doesn't include all of us gays living in Kansas ... you're making some really uninformed, sweeping comments not based in fact. But, I'm sure you're right ...
I'm not saying you can't be gay and happy in Kansas. Obviously there must be many happy, gay people in the state. I doubt many would be happy in small towns though - and I base that off the gay Kansans I knew who grew up in small towns. Lawrence, Wichita, Topeka and metro KC are probably where gay people feel more comfortable.

I only based my post off the people I know and have known. Being gay and having children, I'd never return to the state for fear of how my children would be treated.

And in my neighborhood in Denver, I know plenty of straight couples/families who've moved here from Kansas. The thing they all have in common? They're liberal! Maybe if all liberal native Kansans moved back, the state would moderate a little.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:39 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,502,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Maybe if all liberal native Kansans moved back, the state would moderate a little.
Please do!! Those of us who are still here miss you!!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Please do!! Those of us who are still here miss you!!!!
Aaawww... now I'm getting a little homesick! I don't live in Kansas, but I can see it from my front porch in Denver!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 PM

70 posts, read 117,581 times
Smile Agree on Johnson County, KS

Quote:
Well, you did not give much information. Basically, you are asking a generic question about a large county. Johnson County is a very wealthy county with a well educated population. It is a bedroom community of Kansas City, Missouri. It has excellent school districts and an excellent library system. I seriously doubt, if your intention is to relocate to Johnson County, that you and your partner will be attacked, physically or verbally. Your house will not be vandalized. The residents of Johnson County (for the most part) are courteous and respectful of others. I have no idea how many gays or lesbians live in Johnson County. Urban Kansas City, Missouri does has a large gay population. Please remember that the information you gather from these postings are the opinions and comments of others therefore they cannot be considered credible sources, my own posting included. Having made that statement here are my comments: I live in Johnson County. A lesbian couple lives on my street. The neighbors do not talk about them. We all speak when walking our dogs. The couple have 3 dogs. They lead a quiet life in a well maintained home. A lesbian couple always sits in front of me at Mass. We all shake hands at the sign of peace. The couple exits church frequently holding hands. I have never heard an unkind remark from fellow parishioners. My husband often frequents a nearby restaurant/bar and sits with a gay couple. My husband is 60 years old. He sits with the gay couple because they are funny and he laughs his a** off when socializing with them. Johnson County is conservative, but it is certainly not some podunk redneck community stuck in a 60's time warp! Feel free to move on my street. If you take pride in your home, you are most welcome here!
I've lived in Johnson County, KS awhile now with my partner and we have never encountered problems. It is a wonderful area in many respects, often many rolling hills (at least here), loads of trees, beautiful landscaping and varied places to live. And we find all types of people. No, it is certainly not gay friendly, such as, SFO, for example. I lived in CA, but I also found parts of CA, for example, sometimes not very gay friendly at all. We find many people here for the most part to be quite sophisticated and well educated.

I am not suggesting there is no homophobia, this is just our experience. We are neither politically conservative nor religious. We are straight acting in public, always were. If someone wants a more openly gay environment I would suggest Lawrence, KS. Also, if young, I would probably live in Lawrence, KS or Kansas City, MO area. All in all, I do not find Johnson Country to be a bad place at all, in fact, we love it here. We also take tremendous pride in our home as do by far the majority of the residents of Johnson County. We are guys.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM

18 posts, read 67,826 times
The headquarters for the Nazarenes is in Kansas City, Missouri ... over close to Research Medical Center. Their headquarters and seminary are both there. Olathe is home to Mid-America Nazarene University, which seems to be becoming less Nazarene as it tries to market its MBA program to prospective students. I would say though that Mid-America Nazarene is probably the reason that Olathe has much more than its share of religious zealots.

As for the deterioration of the gay scene in Kansas City, it's not really deteriorating as it is a case of shifting priorities. There are so many more options other than bars now. I'm one of those in Johnson County who simply does not "partake" in that scene. Once in a great while, I might go have a drink at a gay bar, but for the most part, I just have so much more going on in my life these days that is more important to me.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,938 times
So I had to make an account, just to reply to this ad. We are a lesbian couple with 4 kids, and a dog. We are getting ready to relocate to Johnson County for a few reasons. First and foremost I will be working in Prairie Village. Second of all, I no long want my kids in the NKC school district. Johnson County is typically what we dream about as a family. I loved the way you carried yourself in your post. I think if you are young, and gay, or straight, living in a more urban enviroment is fine. However, I think most gays and lesbians would agree that when you have children, and get to your 30's, we like any heterosexual family, want to settle down, and raise our kids in a safe, well educated community. I was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri, I love the comment you made about being a redneck community, because we actually lived in one. Rock Port, Missouri. So in my eyes, everyone I have met in Kansas has been kind and accepting. So if there is a house open on your street, we would be more than happy to have you as a neighbor. My partner keeps a beautiful home, and I work hard so we have the ability to keep that home. It is a good day, when I read a post that not only makes me feel comfortable, but I also know my children are accepted. It's nice to know that we can all settle in the suburbs and live together. I'm with you though, I think we spend too much time discussing this, might as well just live amongst eachother.

Quote:
Well, you did not give much information. Basically, you are asking a generic question about a large county. Johnson County is a very wealthy county with a well educated population. It is a bedroom community of Kansas City, Missouri. It has excellent school districts and an excellent library system. I seriously doubt, if your intention is to relocate to Johnson County, that you and your partner will be attacked, physically or verbally. Your house will not be vandalized. The residents of Johnson County (for the most part) are courteous and respectful of others. I have no idea how many gays or lesbians live in Johnson County. Urban Kansas City, Missouri does has a large gay population. Please remember that the information you gather from these postings are the opinions and comments of others therefore they cannot be considered credible sources, my own posting included. Having made that statement here are my comments: I live in Johnson County. A lesbian couple lives on my street. The neighbors do not talk about them. We all speak when walking our dogs. The couple have 3 dogs. They lead a quiet life in a well maintained home. A lesbian couple always sits in front of me at Mass. We all shake hands at the sign of peace. The couple exits church frequently holding hands. I have never heard an unkind remark from fellow parishioners. My husband often frequents a nearby restaurant/bar and sits with a gay couple. My husband is 60 years old. He sits with the gay couple because they are funny and he laughs his a** off when socializing with them. Johnson County is conservative, but it is certainly not some podunk redneck community stuck in a 60's time warp! Feel free to move on my street. If you take pride in your home, you are most welcome here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City