Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:30 PM

70 posts, read 117,662 times

Advertisements

It was wonderful reading your post that you are moving to Johnson County. We find Johnson Country quite well run, remarkably friendly and diverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taso87 View Post
So I had to make an account, just to reply to this ad. We are a lesbian couple with 4 kids, and a dog. We are getting ready to relocate to Johnson County for a few reasons. First and foremost I will be working in Prairie Village. Second of all, I no long want my kids in the NKC school district. Johnson County is typically what we dream about as a family. I loved the way you carried yourself in your post. I think if you are young, and gay, or straight, living in a more urban enviroment is fine. However, I think most gays and lesbians would agree that when you have children, and get to your 30's, we like any heterosexual family, want to settle down, and raise our kids in a safe, well educated community. I was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri, I love the comment you made about being a redneck community, because we actually lived in one. Rock Port, Missouri. So in my eyes, everyone I have met in Kansas has been kind and accepting. So if there is a house open on your street, we would be more than happy to have you as a neighbor. My partner keeps a beautiful home, and I work hard so we have the ability to keep that home. It is a good day, when I read a post that not only makes me feel comfortable, but I also know my children are accepted. It's nice to know that we can all settle in the suburbs and live together. I'm with you though, I think we spend too much time discussing this, might as well just live amongst eachother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,625,443 times
JOCO is more diverse and friendly inside the 435 loop. I would stay within that area for the most part as it tends to be LESS socially conservative. Once you get out to Olathe or southwest of there all bets are off.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,506,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
JOCO is more diverse and friendly inside the 435 loop. I would stay within that area for the most part as it tends to be LESS socially conservative. Once you get out to Olathe or southwest of there all bets are off.
Overland Park and Leawood are just fine, even South of 435.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Overland Park and Leawood are just fine, even South of 435.
Yes, I should have mentioned that point... Many areas of Olathe, Gardner, Edgerton, etc are extremely socially conservative... This is not news unforunately.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:49 AM

2 posts, read 14,839 times
I grew up in hutchinson town of 40K on a good day, as an adult it's pretty great. KCKS would be similar. I am looking at possibly moving there too and while Lawrence hold sway going out and dealing with 1000's of 18yros is not something I want to deal with. Ive never not been out, you just have to know that there is the possiblity of both good and bad. I think the bad will be rare and if you are not meeting who your boss will be well that's just bad interviewing. KCMO westport/plaza are great and where I am looking, just stay clear of kc med center and anywhere west of westport. You have a swathabout 10 blocks wide from just north of westport to 60th that are pretty great. Too far outside that and your dodging bullets or it's trashy. Some great homes at not too bad of prices to be found if it seems too cheap theres a reason and take a look at streetview google and look at the cars. Also if you're going out think cab fare, if you drink(yeah right) how much you want to spend on a cab. Could make spending a little more for rent or to buy worth it if you can walk safely and only take a cab on those nights when you have to hand the driver you license and a $20. Just some thoughts from someone who's lived many places and made some mistakes, learn from my suggestions and you should be great.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:23 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,360,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
With all due respect, how long has it been since you lived here? That's simply not true. We livein the far southwest part of the Metro in Johnson County. I swear I see more gay and lesbian couples around here than I ever did in suburban Chicago. We have frineds in Gardner, a lesbian couple with a ten year old son. I don't know that I've ever known a happier family or better parents, and yes, they are totally accepted in the community.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
With all due respect, how long has it been since you lived here? That's simply not true. We livein the far southwest part of the Metro in Johnson County. I swear I see more gay and lesbian couples around here than I ever did in suburban Chicago. We have frineds in Gardner, a lesbian couple with a ten year old son. I don't know that I've ever known a happier family or better parents, and yes, they are totally accepted in the community.
Not disagreeing with your assessment. I think it goes without saying that south and southwest JOCO is still quite a bit more socially conservative than most areas inside 435. I think acceptance and inclusivity is better in many areas now compared to a few decades ago for sure.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 PM

266 posts, read 832,488 times
looking 2 move it, check into Kansas Equality Coalition's Facebook page. Also, you might check the Kansas Equality Coalition web site, the Wichita Pride website (and Facebook), and Liberty Press online. The lgbt community across the state is pretty active. Don't rely on the gay bars in south Wichita to be the example of the community. Rain Cafe abd Lounge downtown has a different clientele. Most of the people I know there avoid the southend.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,062,090 times
I live in JOCO and could care less if my neighbors are straight or gay. I was told once that 'so and so' is gay...and I replied, "That's great he/she is so happy!" Of course I was immediately informed they were referring to their sexual preferences. My reply was, "I know you were", and walked off.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:24 AM

78,454 posts, read 60,666,856 times
My JOCO neighbors are all over the political spectrum and we have a gay couple a couple houses down since we moved in over a decade ago.

Heck, when I lived in Chicago the gym I went to was probably 75% gay or more and I showered etc there and didn't give a crap so it's certainly not an issue to me.

Hey, people may not support a gay lifestyle or abortion or duck hunting or concealed carry or legalized pot but no one in my neighborhood is burning crosses on anyones lawn so to speak.

I think *a lot* of the stigma of intolerance is a holdover from years ago as well as the national media bombardmant due to the likes of Fred Phelps....ironically a democrat from MS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City