Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:12 PM

258 posts, read 648,235 times

Advertisements

kcmo - the more I've been down there the more I can relate to what you are describing in your above post. DH and I have both commented about the amazing number of pickup trucks at his apartment complex. I have nothing against pickups (I could use one at times) but it's just so different from where I live now where practically no one owns a pickup. I will say though his new apartment is much nicer than the one he lived in over by 29. There is also a definite difference in the retail, restaurants, etc. Overall I think the entire Northland is kind of limited in terms of dining - everything is a chain - but there are more choices on the west side. He likes being five minutes from work though. Still a mystery when - if - or where we will move. We are still doing okay with the commuter thing and Minnesota lakes are so fantastic in the summer that we sure won't be moving this summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 10:20 PM

26,429 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby3000 View Post
kcmo - the more I've been down there the more I can relate to what you are describing in your above post. DH and I have both commented about the amazing number of pickup trucks at his apartment complex. I have nothing against pickups (I could use one at times) but it's just so different from where I live now where practically no one owns a pickup. I will say though his new apartment is much nicer than the one he lived in over by 29. There is also a definite difference in the retail, restaurants, etc. Overall I think the entire Northland is kind of limited in terms of dining - everything is a chain - but there are more choices on the west side. He likes being five minutes from work though. Still a mystery when - if - or where we will move. We are still doing okay with the commuter thing and Minnesota lakes are so fantastic in the summer that we sure won't be moving this summer.
Not to offend anyone, but the Brainerd Lakes region blows away the Ozarks reservoirs in my opinion.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:25 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
Do you live in the Twin Cities area? I'm not sure I would leave that area for KC. There are only a few cities I would leave KC for and Minneapolis is one of them.

If you like living around lots of lakes, you might look at Lee's Summit. I don't know exactly where you said he works, but it's not a horrible commute from LS to the Liberty area, although it would be much more than 5 minutes.

I honeslty don't like Liberty. I know it's a nice area and it's fitting for a lot of people, but like I said, it's too blue collar for my liking. It's not crazy redneck or anything, but it's noticalbe, like you stated.

I would look into areas around Parkville, Platte Woods etc as well.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Ya, I live in the Twin Cities within walking distance of a 600 acre lake and I have a weekend lake place in the Brainerd Lakes area on a lake. So you can probably see why we have not just up and moved down to KC. At first I really thought we would but the longer this goes on the more I think maybe we won't. DH really likes the job down there though so we'll have to see. I'm trying to figure out how I might just retire and spend summers at our lake place up here - then we might just get a condo in the city down there. Our life is such an adventure and people probably think we're getting too old for that kind of thing.....

Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 PM

That's very cool. You probably will not like KC as well. I'm just being honest.

Minneapolis is a very different city from KC. I think the city itself is a step up from KCMO and the area around the city is quite a few steps up from the farmland that surrounds KC. We do have some lakes, but it's just not the same.

Denver, San Diego, Seattle, Portland etc are similar. KC is mostly suburbs with a city that is fighting to come back. KC's suburbs are some of the blandest, suburbs I have seen anywhere. There is not much worse than suburbs in a midwestern farm belt city like KC.

I'm not saying you might not really like KC, but I think the city, especially the parts of the city you are looking at, is much different than the area you are coming from.

There are alot of great things about KC, but you live in one city I would move to if I could.

But again, you may really like it here. Want to trade homes?

Old 05-11-2009, 02:45 PM

16 posts, read 47,258 times
Ok, I'm getting very discouraged. The house that we were going to buy went off the market and we are back to square one. I took some of your advice about Platte Co. and started looking there, but there's not much in our price range in the area. We are moving from North Carolina so a lot of this searching is done online. We also have heard great things about Liberty schools so we wanted to stay in that area. I guess we will just keep looking, and if we have to live in temporary housing until we find the perfect place then that is fine. I know it will all be worth it in the end. I did not notice the blue collar atmosphere of Liberty when I was there, but that was for a total of like 2 hours. But it seems that there are a lot of young families there which is where we need to be.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:01 PM

3 posts, read 15,407 times
Hang in there, coffeedrinker! I've been in your position and it is definitely worth holding out for what is best. In the meantime it's very stressful....
Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 05-11-2009, 08:50 PM

coffeedrinker - I wouldn't worry too much about the blue collar comment. I don't live there yet but I've visited Libery area quite a few times now and it's a nice place - people are very friendly. People are perhaps not as much into expensive material things as some other areas and that is fine by me.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
coffeedrinker - I wouldn't worry too much about the blue collar comment. I don't live there yet but I've visited Libery area quite a few times now and it's a nice place - people are very friendly. People are perhaps not as much into expensive material things as some other areas and that is fine by me.
I agree. I grew up in the city. I didn't go to places like Liberty or Lee's Summit till I was in my teens. To me, those places take some getting used to. To most people, they are just normal suburbs. Some areas of the metro are more "blue collar" than others and I'm not much of a blue collar person. But that does not mean by any stretch that those areas are not nice suburban areas. I don't care for the snobby ultra white collar areas either. I'm just an urban guy stuck in the burbs for a while though and I think I will always find things to dislike about the burbs, but I’m trying to put my urban bias aside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City